Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a seasoning kit from gander. it has a cure and seasoning pack. is it necessary to cure the meat when making jerky? i have made jerky before and didnt use a cure and a couple of my buddies make jerky without using a cure. why use a cure if you have to keep it refridgerated? i am using a dehydrator. any advice will be appreciated.

i am going to buy a smoker soon. i have been looking at them. not sure which one to get yet.

also if anyone in the livonia area wants some apple wood we have a dead standing apple tree and will be cutting it down soon.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have made jerky with and without the cure in a dehydrator and I prefer without it. If I remeber right, the cure is for keeping the meat from going bad over a long period of time so I dont make alot all at once.

I started out making jerky with a dehydrator and switched to a smoker a couple years ago and I LOVE it. Much better flavor and you dont need to have jaws of steel to eat it.:D

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
I've used the Cabelas stuff too.......used the cure too but only about 1/2 the amount specified.....came out just fine bluedevil is right...if you use it up within a couple weeks...well refrigerated....don't need the cure.....also you can freeze the stuff and it will keep for a couple months...:) once cured and jerked.....did the same with fish....froze em' but used the fish within about 1 month.........good smoooookin....( Curin ) :corkysm55 :corkysm55

·
Registered
837 Posts
Cures are used in making certain types of meats to prevent food poisoning from botulism. Generally sausages or jerkys are smoked or dried at temps from 40 to 140 degrees F which creates the perfect environment for botulism.
Using an oven on the lowest setting will results in temps about 200 or more which will kill the botulism organism. You should check the operating temperature of your dehydrator to make sure the temp is above the 140 mark before deciding not to use a cure.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i put in 2 different thermometers. one is a digital outdoor weather station and it reads 155 degrees and the other is a stove pipe thermometer and it reads 150 degrees. so i should be ok?

starting another batch now. i am going to cure it though i would like to skip that part of the process.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how long does it typically take a dehydrator to make jerky?

·
Registered
837 Posts
The time needed to make your jerky in a dehydrator depends on the thickness of the meat you used and wheather or not you use whole muscle meat or ground meat. I usually use whole muscle slices 1/4" thick and find it takes aprprox 8 - 10 hours. I like my jerky the old fashioned way like ya used to get when a kid, nice and firm, can chew on it for a while and enjoy the flavor. Nowadays the storebought jerky is soft like a piece of steak and I don't particularly like it that way. Personally I like to do jerky in the smoker keeping the temp around 100 degrees to slowly dry the jerky as opposed to cooking the meat at a higher temps say in the oven. When making jerky in my dehydrator about every hour or so i turn the meat over and reshuffle the racks as it is hotter at the base, when i feel it is nearing completion I will bend the meat to see if it starts to crack and is not mushy in the middle. Then I know it is done. I have no objection to using cures as I find no discernable difference in taste. I would prefer to error on the safe side and use a cure than to face food poisoning. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help. first batch turned out pretty good for me. the only reason i would think of skipping the cure is to save time. i plan on getting a smoker and doing sausage and jerky in that. welcome to the site chasin sprints. thanks pb

·
Registered
837 Posts
Glad to be of help, this is one of my favorite simple jerky recipes ya might want to try sometime.

2 1/2 lb meat trimmed of all fat and sinew

To 1 1/2 cup cold water add:
2 tablespoon course black pepper
2 beef bullion cubes
2 1/2 tablespoon morton tender quick
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (if not using a smoker)

Mix spices well then pour over meat in 1 gallon ziplock bag. Mix well into meat them push as much air out of bag then seal up, put in fridge for 12 hours, mixing occasionally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts