Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Jaw Jacker

1873 Views 22 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  steak91
I swear every time I check my JJ it has not triggered but minnow is gone. Adjusted it so hair triggered. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
If the trip mechanism gets wet and freezes, it wont go off even when the line pulls the arm down. Wd40 helps, but best to keep it dry
Yep, as said above jawjackers hate ice and cold. I keep the JJ and the rod/reel in it as dry as possible. Always double check the trigger mechanism. It also helps to buy or make some sort of foam or plastic cover to put over your hole. Preventing the hole from ever freezing with your line in it will help get more hookups.
Reactions: Seeco
Yes wd40 works well. I fish them too
These were all caught on JJ’s
Food Vertebrate Seafood Ingredient Cuisine
Food Cuisine Animal product Plant Ingredient
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fish Ray-finned fish Wood
If the trip mechanism gets wet and freezes, it wont go off even when the line pulls the arm down. Wd40 helps, but best to keep it dry
Does anybody use Jaw Jackers as a substitute for Tip-ups for big fish like Pike and Walleye? Or are they mostly used for smaller species like panfish?
My son uses them for splake and walleye. He swears by them for splake over tip ups. He also has some mixture he makes up that is an anti freeze for the hole as well as some on the triggering mechanism. I would have to ask him what the product is but it is sonething environmentally friendly.

My opinion isnthe must be better than tipups or states like minnesota wouldnt outlaw them.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Does anybody use Jaw Jackers as a substitute for Tip-ups for big fish like Pike and Walleye? Or are they mostly used for smaller species like panfish?
Reactions: UPEsox
Nice job on the perch!

I've had good luck with JJ's for walleye but my success rate has been maybe 50% on perch. They hit and it sets the hook but they don't stay on long (often not long enough for me to get to the rod).

It seems as soon as the fish quits pulling and the rod straightens out, they're gone.

I wonder if I am using the wrong weight/length rods or I'm not setting the JJ up properly or my hooks aren't sharp enough or maybe too much stretch in the mono?

Do you mind sharing some details about what is working best for you?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Yes wd40 works well. I fish them too
These were all caught on JJ’s View attachment 880145 View attachment 880144 View attachment 880146
I have caught walleye and pike on jawjackers, however I believe traditional tip ups or tip ups like finicky foolers where you can use your own rod/reel are much better. Jawjackers are very good at hooking fish like trout and perch. My hookup percentage for pike on JJ's is not as good as my regular tip ups or finicky foolers. They like to take the bait and run with it for a while, so when they initially run at the bait without fully committing, the JJ pops up and it isn't able to hook them
Reactions: piscatorial warrior
JJ are the way to go for trout thats for certain. Won't catch me on the big lake with out them. Foam and marine anti freeze do the trick to keep holes and triggers ice free.
We use either vegetable glycol (available at Walmart department) or nontoxic RV antifreeze in an Ice Stopper bobber with our Slammers & Automatic Fisherman hook set devices.
He has some mixture he makes up that is an anti freeze for the hole as well as some on the triggering mechanism. I would have to ask him what the product is but it is sonething environmentally friendly.
Yeah i forgot about the bobbers. He puts the mixture in the bobber.

We use either vegetable glycol (available at Walmart) or nontoxic RV antifreeze in an Ice Stopper bobber with our Slammers & Automatic Fisherman hook set devices.
Reactions: Kearly Shuffle
That's how I do it too. I was going to suggest it, but saw it was already. I have the "Automatic Fisherman" brand and it came with a big "float" the line goes through so that sits in the water with the antifreeze solution. I've used it for walleye and crappie.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Yeah i forgot about the bobbers. He puts the mixture in the bobber.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
What does the automatic fisherman look like?
Also Which is the best auto fisherman, Jaw Jackers, Finickyfooler, or blue ice tip down ? They seem to cost a pretty penny for what they do. I'm normally a bucket fisherman but ocasionally I like to put out a desd stic once in a while.

I have an automatic fisherman and I like it. I use it mostly for shallow water rainbow trout but occasionally use it for perch. I'd say use any of the first 3 in your list if you want to set it up a little ways away from you since all 3 can set the hook for you. I'd use the blue ice tip down if it was fairly close to me so I can get to it faster to set the hook.
Also Which is the best auto fisherman, Jaw Jackers, Finickyfooler, or blue ice tip down ? They seem to cost a pretty penny for what they do. I'm normally a bucket fisherman but ocasionally I like to put out a desd stic once in a while.
I make my own version of a JJ for a less than $10 and use them mostly for specs, pike, and trout. No freeze up issues, can’t see how freeze up would even be possible.
What do they look like, The ones you made? I was just interested in your concept I won't be making my own or copy yours.
Those look great, but I like the way the JJ are built and i'm not a good fabricator so I might bit the bullet and get the JJ's
1 - 20 of 23 Posts