Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of problems with the 11-87 supermag feeding 2 3/4 rounds?

I've had it jamb off and on a couple of times, but last sat at the m-s meetngreet the friggin thing jammed around 6 times. Needless to say that was embarrasing and it p****ed me off to no end.

I shoot a lot of trap, skeet, and sproting clays more than I bird hunt so having a gun that has a problem with that round is troublesome to the point of "I want to destroy this piece of crap!":rant: A gun should go BANG! when you pull the trigger.

As I get a little older and hopefully a little wiser I'm starting to believe in the old saying something about the right tool for the right job.

Oh yeah. Yes, I do know how to clean a gun. Yes, I do know how to properly assemble it.

Please don't rag on me too much!:p

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
Well.......I know exactly what you mean. In fact, I got so pissed off at the same gun, that I walked into the sport shop, looked on the wall and saw a Beretta that I liked, asked how much trade-in would you give me for this nice Remington, and walked out with the Beretta. The only advice that people tried to give me was telling me that the gun shot well with only a couple of different high brass shells. Well....I never found those special shells. Like you said, you want to pull the trigger and shoot.

I love the Beretta. Sorry I don't have very good advice for ya as I tried everything as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,610 Posts
Socks said:
Has anyone heard of problems with the 11-87 supermag feeding 2 3/4 rounds?

I've had it jamb off and on a couple of times, but last sat at the m-s meetngreet the friggin thing jammed around 6 times. Needless to say that was embarrasing and it p****ed me off to no end.

I shoot a lot of trap, skeet, and sproting clays more than I bird hunt so having a gun that has a problem with that round is troublesome to the point of "I want to destroy this piece of crap!":rant: A gun should go BANG! when you pull the trigger.

As I get a little older and hopefully a little wiser I'm starting to believe in the old saying something about the right tool for the right job.

Oh yeah. Yes, I do know how to clean a gun. Yes, I do know how to properly assemble it.

Please don't rag on me too much!:p

Joe
will cycle with 2-3/4 LIGHT loads. Many times a light trap or skeet [or promo loads] dont have enough gas to cycle the action, whereas a 2-3/4 inch field load 1-1/4 oz 3-3/4 dram equivalent load will function flawlessly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
Had the same problem with my Benelli SBE way back when new.
It would not cycle with light 2.75" field loads but no problem with 'high brass' 2.75" hunting loads.

It is tough to design any autoloader for perfect performance with every load from light to magnum. If it cycles with the lightest loads it may batter itself to death from 3.5" uber-mags.

Bottom line is despite marketing claims the 3.5's are tough hunting guns not made for use with lighter target loads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,353 Posts
i agree with huntsman... I have that same shotgun and i cant shoot the lighter loads out of it but i bought some of the high brass loads for shooting like upland game and those seem to kick out fine... just sucks those shells are so dang expensive.... but I am glad i have my 870 too :) one gun for fun shooting and one for geese and ducks.... but yeah they say if you put some o ring on the gas chamber it would shoot the 2 3/4 better but i keep having the o rings break on me soooo not sure what that is all about.... i guess i would just have to say thats more of a gun for hunting than it is for shooting clays?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,398 Posts
I can't speak for the 3 1/2" guns, but some of the 3" guns will not cycle light loads. The porting is designed to handle heavy loads but not light. My 3" SP has 4 ports in the barrel to port the gas, my old turkey special only had 2 ports, and would not cycle light loads with any reliability.

Maybe it is the same thing with the 3 1/2" guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your oppions!

Yeah when you shoot 2.75 you need the o ring in the gun and I've got it in there, but it doesn't do me a lot of good.

Using a larger load would work for hunting, but at the range I got to to shoot they have size limits on your rounds, i.e. shot size, amount of powder.

Looks like I'll be in the market for a new/used gun

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,216 Posts
If you reload you can try a load with higher pressure than a factory target load. I would guess a 1 1/8 oz load at 11,000 psi would run through your gun.

Griffondog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info and advice everyone! I'm thinking I'm going to sell it because I just don't like the idea that I have to buy special ammo for a gun that claims to shoot the ammo I buy. Also, I almost always use 2.75in. On top of all that I never really did like the the way you have to load it. Oh well, time will tell. I know more about semi's so hopefully the next gun will be perfect!:D

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts
How is the gun jamming? Is the spent shell getting caught? If so, you might have to clean your gas ports with a drill bit by hand, start small and go until it starts scraping out the build up.

Also, I switched from Remoil to Breakfree CLP and it ended a jamming problem on one of my autos.

The 935 isn't supposed to work with 2 3/4" shells, but I have only found one shell it won't work with, so you never know. . .good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,186 Posts
concider a pump, never had one jamb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Browning gold 3" Never had problem 1. its been to the bottem of the pond and the bottem of a duck boat more times than I can remember and I shoot at least 100 rds of skeet a week with it and its 3 years old. The 1st question is why are you shooting a 3.5? 1st rule of buying shotguns is if it starts with a B it should B worth the money. BROWNING, beretta, bennellie and If you have to a franchi will work in a pinch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
omega58 said:
How is the gun jamming? Is the spent shell getting caught? If so, you might have to clean your gas ports with a drill bit by hand, start small and go until it starts scraping out the build up.

Also, I switched from Remoil to Breakfree CLP and it ended a jamming problem on one of my autos.

The 935 isn't supposed to work with 2 3/4" shells, but I have only found one shell it won't work with, so you never know. . .good luck.
It doesn't cycle the new round into the chamber. The empty hull goes out and the new round gets stuck between the reciever and the sliding mechanism. Sorry I don't know the exact terms.

john warrenconcider a pump, never had one jamb.

I've got a Rem 870 and it's a work horse, but I wanted it as a deer gun and it does very well that way. Never had a problem with it unless I jacked it too quick. I've only done that 3-4 times. Lots of rounds through that puppy and it's a rock solid gun. I just wanted the ease of a semi for getting back on target.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
spice64 said:
Browning gold 3" Never had problem 1. its been to the bottem of the pond and the bottem of a duck boat more times than I can remember and I shoot at least 100 rds of skeet a week with it and its 3 years old. The 1st question is why are you shooting a 3.5? 1st rule of buying shotguns is if it starts with a B it should B worth the money. BROWNING, beretta, bennellie and If you have to a franchi will work in a pinch.
:lol: Well I am a bit of a tight wad.:D I went with the 11-87 because I've such good luck with my 870, it's that simple. I don't think I'd be having probs if I didn't get the 3.5in. I was also thinking of taking up turkey hunting with the 3.5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts
Socks said:
It doesn't cycle the new round into the chamber. The empty hull goes out and the new round gets stuck between the reciever and the sliding mechanism. Sorry I don't know the exact terms.
I would check the gas ports with a drill bit, may have some build up in there. Also, switching lube/cleaner may help. Breakfree CLP, Eezox, or Corrosion X may be all you need.

Of course, you can never have too many shotguns, so if you have to buy a new one, go for it.:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
omega58 said:
I would check the gas ports with a drill bit, may have some build up in there. Also, switching lube/cleaner may help. Breakfree CLP, Eezox, or Corrosion X may be all you need.

Of course, you can never have too many shotguns, so if you have to buy a new one, go for it.:lol:
Over lubing is probably the biggest reason I see folks having problems with Rem Semi's. Second is putting the piston in backwards. I know you said you know how to put it back together, but check and recheck the piston ring. I've been shooting Remi's since I was old enough to hold them up, and I've still managed to put them in backwards every once in a while. Switch to using Eezox, I won't use anything else on any of my guns. I have a mag 1187 that I use on the dove fields with regular trap loads. Shoot all day every day for a week without a cycling problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,186 Posts
iv'e been using a browning pump since 1963, in 20 ga. and a 870 12ga for a couple decades. they never let me down,,,,can't say i've never let them down. as to getting back on target i find the forward motion of the slide produces enough force to allow me faster target aquisition then the auto does. but that may just be me and my less then text book shooting techniques.
Socks said:
It doesn't cycle the new round into the chamber. The empty hull goes out and the new round gets stuck between the reciever and the sliding mechanism. Sorry I don't know the exact terms.

john warrenconcider a pump, never had one jamb.

I've got a Rem 870 and it's a work horse, but I wanted it as a deer gun and it does very well that way. Never had a problem with it unless I jacked it too quick. I've only done that 3-4 times. Lots of rounds through that puppy and it's a rock solid gun. I just wanted the ease of a semi for getting back on target.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
Did you clean the tube and spring in the stock? After I took mine apart and cleaned the tube it works like it should. Before that it jammed all the time.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top