Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I shot this buck Sunday morning 10/26/03 in Jackson Co. I had gotten down from my stand earlier than normal and decided to work the edge of a cornfield and immediately jumped a small buck and as I worked the edge kept bumping deer but I had a perfect wind and was able to get close to most of the deer I was seeing.
At one point a small doe stepped out from the woods into the corn not 10 feet from me and spooked back into the woods. I decided to stand in that spot for a little while as there seemed to be alot of action right there and it was a nice funnel with a river coming to within 30 yards of the corn. Well not 5 minutes later I heard a loud grunt, oh boy, here we go! After the buck grunted I grunted right back and he headed right at me. At about 20 yards he turned broadside and it was now or never so I let fly and knew I had a good hit. The buck kind of hunched down and ran off with that run that usually means dead buck. At this point buck fever sets in and I try to call my wife and let her know I'll be late.
I could hardly talk! At first I think she thought I had a heart attack or something but I finally got out what i'd done. Well to make this already long story shorter the buck ended up swimming across the river and after being sick to my stomach I found it 2 hours later. It only ended up going 75 yards but it was a high lung hit and didn't bleed at all. The buck is a perfect 8 with a 20" inside spread. After losing my regular spot one week before the season starts this season has ended up quite well, I took a smaller 8 on Oct. 4 so I'm all tagged out! Now what... I do have to thank my buddy Ron who drove 50 miles to help me drag it out.
Without him I might still be dragging, but it'd be worth it!!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Great buck. Even more special because you shot it by still hunting the corn field. Great achievement, Congratulations.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Man what a deer. Congrats on the success. I guess now you will have to just do a little small game hunting to pass the season away. Nice job.

Jay

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Congratulations on your success,... and that was a Great story you had to tell!! :) ( My hunts are always so hum-drum :rolleyes: )

·
Super Moderator
11,728 Posts
Howdy-

Mighty fine buck!

Is he on the M-S buck pole yet....??? ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts