Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

3241 - 3259 of 3259 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, new to the forum. I wanted to post a few things here. I went out this morning on big portage to check ice on east end...I found a spud by the shore, I would like to get it back to the owner if I could. On sunday I found a tip up and pair of gloves on the side of Race rd. while looking for a pair of suede mittens I lost. It would thrill me to get this stuff back to the owners and possibly find my mitts! Hopefully everyone had a great season. I look forward to fish talk with all of you folks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great pics. How was the ice?
Ice at Devils was good. 4-6” of clear ice with 2-3” of cloudy ice on top. One spot by the shore that looked iffy but it wasn’t anything too difficult to get by. Bring your creepers. It was slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Sunday morning, probably my last outing this year. Lots of fish, big schools and a aggressive bite made for quick pile of eaters. Tingler spoon loaded with maggots got it done but I am sure they would have hit anything.
I don't think most lakes are "safe" now and urge everyone to put the gear away until next year.
. View attachment 754703

Sent from my SM-G892U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Nice mess.

I was on portage yesterday. Ice was a bit honeycombed with air but still thick enough. Use caution and spud if you're still giving it a go.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nice mess.

I was on portage yesterday. Ice was a bit honeycombed with air but still thick enough. Use caution and spud if you're still giving it a go.

I found a lot of inconsistent ice Sunday, I am sure some lakes are fishable but not for long and I am also sure some lakes are deadly (I was just a bit north of where the young man went through). Until next year I will sit home and complain about what a short season it was.

Stay safe and make good choices if you are venturing out.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I found a lot of inconsistent ice Sunday, I am sure some lakes are fishable but not for long and I am also sure some lakes are deadly (I was just a bit north of where the young man went through). Until next year I will sit home and complain about what a short season it was.

Stay safe and make good choices if you are venturing out.

I agree, it was a short season but at least I got out more than last year (which was zero times, LOL). Yeah, I've been ice fishing for 59 years and I didn't make it this far by being a daredevil. If I do anything on Friday I think I will be going closer to Fenton or somewheres there abouts! My guess is though I will end up the same as you, sitting at home lamenting another short ice season and getting my gear in shape for the walleye run on the Maumee River. River is looking good for this year's run, melted evenly, not too much rain, and the water temps are already at 38 degrees. I'd say another week and the early fish will begin showing up! Tight lines brother!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I agree, it was a short season but at least I got out more than last year (which was zero times, LOL). Yeah, I've been ice fishing for 59 years and I didn't make it this far by being a daredevil. If I do anything on Friday I think I will be going closer to Fenton or somewheres there abouts! My guess is though I will end up the same as you, sitting at home lamenting another short ice season and getting my gear in shape for the walleye run on the Maumee River. River is looking good for this year's run, melted evenly, not too much rain, and the water temps are already at 38 degrees. I'd say another week and the early fish will begin showing up! Tight lines brother!!
Are they going to let us buy out of state licenses? I got mine last year before they shut it down. Grassy Island combat fishing is a blast.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey Macs: According to the OH DNR website, they are selling nonresident licenses so I assume the Covid restriction that went in place last year has been officially lifted. Come on down and join the circus (I think your avatar would be right at home, LOL!)🤪

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hey Macs: According to the OH DNR website, they are selling nonresident licenses so I assume the Covid restriction that went in place last year has been officially lifted. Come on down and join the circus (I think your avatar would be right at home, LOL!)
Thanks for the info! Heading to their website to buy one now. It'll be my 3rd season.

My first walleye that I ever caught is also my PB walleye. 26 inch, 7 1/2 pounds. From the Maumee Sidecut Metro Park.

That pic is screenshot from my FishBrain.
Screenshot_20210304-102454_Fishbrain.jpg

·
Registered
584 Posts
Nice fat female there dude!! It's a bit of a hassle sometimes if the crowd's too big but most days are good and most of the guys you encounter are ok. There's always the few every year that think they're the kings of walleyedom and they know better than anyone how to fish and they'll bite your head off if you don't fish "right" according to their rules. But all in all it's a good time. Last year was actually kind of nice since they had the Covid social distancing thing being strictly enforced by the DNR so guys couldn't come and set up a foot away from you and start casting over your line downstream!!! Not sure what the "Covid Rules" will be for this year, have to wait and see. Last year there were signs all around reminding you to keep 6' apart. I'd be ok with that again this year, LOL!

Reactions: Macs13

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Nice fat female there dude!! It's a bit of a hassle sometimes if the crowd's too big but most days are good and most of the guys you encounter are ok. There's always the few every year that think they're the kings of walleyedom and they know better than anyone how to fish and they'll bite your head off if you don't fish "right" according to their rules. But all in all it's a good time. Last year was actually kind of nice since they had the Covid social distancing thing being strictly enforced by the DNR so guys couldn't come and set up a foot away from you and start casting over your line downstream!!! Not sure what the "Covid Rules" will be for this year, have to wait and see. Last year there were signs all around reminding you to keep 6' apart. I'd be ok with that again this year, LOL!
Yup. The obvious spots are their own experience but I also found that you can duck into less obvious spots in the same stretch of river. Fewer fish but fewer fishermen to hassle with. Personally, sometimes I find the circus fun and sometimes I like to be a 1 man clown show.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yup. The obvious spots are their own experience but I also found that you can duck into less obvious spots in the same stretch of river. Fewer fish but fewer fishermen to hassle with. Personally, sometimes I find the circus fun and sometimes I like to be a 1 man clown show.

Yeah, I hear you!! I put up with the few knuckleheads I encounter from time to time because it comes with the territory sometimes. But when I have the chance to fish (no matter what I'm fishing for), I always prefer being a 1 man show. I have enough of people and idle chat at work and everywhere else. Like my grandmother (who taught me to fish at 3 y/o) always said, "Fishing is best when your real quiet!" And I've subscribed to that ever since!

Reactions: Macs13 and 6Speed

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,255
I HAVE THE SOFT WATER THREAD UP TOO JUST FYI ...ITS OK TO TALK HERE ...JUST SAYING
SADLY TAKING MY ICE GEAR OUT TRUCK NOW EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I COULD FIND SOMEWHERE TO FISH ...TOO MANY BODIES FALLING THROUGH THE ICE

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I HAVE THE SOFT WATER THREAD UP TOO JUST FYI ...ITS OK TO TALK HERE ...JUST SAYING
SADLY TAKING MY ICE GEAR OUT TRUCK NOW EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I COULD FIND SOMEWHERE TO FISH ...TOO MANY BODIES FALLING THROUGH THE ICE
I just did the same thing today and then I took my happy arse to cabelas and got some rod oil and new line so I can get ready for the Maumee walleye festivities. Bought my OH license as well.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,258
THANKS TO EVERY ONE HERE AND ANOTHER ICE SEASON ....YES CAPS ON AND IM YELLING!

·
Registered
448 Posts
We got out for one last trip yesterday morning. We had to use a plank to get on the ice but had solid 4 inches once passed the bad shore ice. Fished until about 1:30 and when we left the plank wasn't long enough. I went first and broke through right at the plank, luckily the water was only knee deep there. I moved the plank for my friend and he didn't even get to the plank before going through, again only knee deep though. Today I'm organizing the gear and putting it away for the season. I was hoping to get out this weekend, but it just isn't worth the risk.
20210305_132334.jpg

3241 - 3259 of 3259 Posts