Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 144 Posts

· Registered
887 Posts
Yeah! Going to head up next weekend. Hoping for a couple of the bigger lakes to get ice. The bait shop said a few of the smaller ones people were fishing though.
I literally bought bait across the street from the rec area and was told people were out and ice was around 4", I literally couldn't put weight on the ice anywhere in the rec area without going straight through, kinda pissed me off honestly and there was also no evidence that people had been on the lakes either. I am sure they are good today or really soon but still be careful.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
834 Posts
I think today is the first day the Hale area lakes will have enough ice, 2 days ago the lakes in the rifle River rec area were not safe at all so be careful! I drove to fletchers pond from Hale.

In search of the ice! Reminds me of that old surfing docudrama The Endless Summer when those 2 guys were going around the world to find available surfing spots!

Keep up the reports Space, and be careful my man!!

· Registered
834 Posts

· Registered
887 Posts
Amen to that brother!! How was Fletchers? Any good news to report?
7" of ice but there was a storm Thursday with 40 mph gusts so fishing was not ideal lol, Friday was beautiful but the fish didn't cooperate. I didn't fish Saturday or Sunday.

· Registered
834 Posts
7" of ice but there was a storm Thursday with 40 mph gusts so fishing was not ideal lol, Friday was beautiful but the fish didn't cooperate. I didn't fish Saturday or Sunday.

Bummer man! I guess it just felt good to be on ice, LOL! Just bring that cold weather back south with you. :p

· Registered
834 Posts
Just a thought, and this is assuming that the forecast holds, but has anybody ever fished the stocked Spring Mill Pond through the ice? If so, how did it go? Advice? Tips on catching rainbows through the ice? Etc.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Hey Macs: You talking about Spring Mill Pond in the Island Lake Rec area? If so, it's hit and miss there. I've fished it with minimal success but some guys catch 'em there. If I'm fishing that area I much prefer to fish Island Lake as it is much more productive and has a wider variety of species. Great lake for Pike, Gills, Crappie, and Perch. You aren't going to catch the largest of these fish, but you will catch a good number of keepers. There are some Walleye in Island but I've never caught any but I know people who've caught them there. It's also a great LM Bass lake, obvious C&R on the ice but still some nice lunkers to catch on your Bluegill rod!

· Registered
834 Posts
Spring Millpond trout by my wife Mac's!

Just kidding, the trout is photo shopped in but we were fishing the pond that day. Like said above, the trout are very scarce. I always did pretty well on pan fish there, especially specs but you've gotta hunt em down...

View attachment 879991
That's too funny!!:oops::LOL:

Reactions: Macs13 and 6Speed

· Registered
834 Posts
Has anyone in the area checked out the ice conditions on big portage lake in Jackson? I got a buddy who has a camper at Sherwood Forest and was hoping to make a trip soon to get some eyes.
No ice anywhere in the lower LP dude! Maybe next week if these coming temps are true.

Reactions: Spacepuppy

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Hey Macs: You talking about Spring Mill Pond in the Island Lake Rec area? If so, it's hit and miss there. I've fished it with minimal success but some guys catch 'em there. If I'm fishing that area I much prefer to fish Island Lake as it is much more productive and has a wider variety of species. Great lake for Pike, Gills, Crappie, and Perch. You aren't going to catch the largest of these fish, but you will catch a good number of keepers. There are some Walleye in Island but I've never caught any but I know people who've caught them there. It's also a great LM Bass lake, obvious C&R on the ice but still some nice lunkers to catch on your Bluegill rod!
That's the pond that I'm talking about. I just love the idea of catching bows and steelies through the ice. I haven't checked out Island Lake yet, though. It sounds like a good spot.

· Registered
834 Posts
That's the pond that I'm talking about. I just love the idea of catching bows and steelies through the ice. I haven't checked out Island Lake yet, though. It sounds like a good spot.

Yeah, if you're gonna fish in that Rec Area, Island would be your best bet to catch "fish". It's not the best lake in the area (Livingston County that is), but I always catch fish there. If you want, shoot me a PM and I can give you some insight on good spots to hit, but it's a pretty easy lake to figure out from a topo map.

Reactions: Macs13

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Spring Millpond trout by my wife Mac's!

Just kidding, the trout is photo shopped in but we were fishing the pond that day. Like said above, the trout are very scarce. I always did pretty well on pan fish there, especially specs but you've gotta hunt em down...

View attachment 879991
Is the fish photoshopped or the wife? Either way, nice catch.

· Registered
834 Posts
Is the fish photoshopped or the wife? Either way, nice catch.

Hahahaha! That was great Macs, too funny! Hey, any guy that can get his wife to fish with him (let alone ice fish), that is a "Great Catch!"

· Registered
834 Posts
Reactions: SmokeJensen
81 - 100 of 144 Posts