Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Jackson and Irish Hills ice fishing reports for 2022-2023

15194 Views 142 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  jassut6
New season, new forum thread.

Post info, pics, conditions, tips, and anything else related to ice fishing in Jackson or Irish Hills area lakes.

Good luck, always stay safe, and tight lines!
61 - 80 of 143 Posts
I will say it right now, this will likely be the shortest ice season in my 50+ years. I see lakes without any ice at all now, this is really getting me down. We are literally in what is historically the coldest part of winter.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Right there with you Space! This really stinks! All we can hope for is once it locks up again that the cold weather lasts until April 1st, LOL!!
I will say it right now, this will likely be the shortest ice season in my 50+ years. I see lakes without any ice at all now, this is really getting me down. We are literally in what is historically the coldest part of winter.

Our highs are 60 degrees off those records, it got me so depressed that I am like one of those sad dog diary shorts just looking out the window at my neighbors pond [emoji20]

ok, this thread has been dead, but after the 24th winter looks promising. Hopefully a solid February for us
Was thinking the same. The two week forecasts have been pretty accurate this last month, I hope this one proves to be also.
Reactions: aacosta
Man I hope it gets better, I am going north to Hale for the weekend to get some ice time in.

ok, this thread has been dead, but after the 24th winter looks promising. Hopefully a solid February for us
Depressing for sure...
I don't have my hopes up at all. The forecast for February and March are not good at all for ice fishing in the Midwest.

My wife tells me I'm wrong all the time, so maybe the trend will continue with my weather predictions.
Season was done by the first week of March last year [emoji20]

I don't have my hopes up at all. The forecast for February and March are not good at all for ice fishing in the Midwest.

My wife tells me I'm wrong all the time, so maybe the trend will continue with my weather predictions.
Safe travels my friend! I hope you get into 'em big time!! I am totally jealous.😭
Man I hope it gets better, I am going north to Hale for the weekend to get some ice time in.

So far the forecast is holding with 24 hour below freezing days next week starting Wed. Should lock up quick due to the water temps already being low. Now the hope is it stays cold!!🤞
[emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Never thought I would be waiting until February for ice. I'm a bit concerned and this freaks me out a good bit, feel like something is changing and not in a good way. The weather is different, something is up. Am I wrong ? just overreacting ?
The world goes in cycles
Hoping that is the case as I am heading to Hale also.
So far the forecast is holding with 24 hour below freezing days next week starting Wed. Should lock up quick due to the water temps already being low. Now the hope is it stays cold!!🤞
I don't want to go into it in this sacred thread, but it sounds like you owe it to yourself to go do some research. Answers to your questions aren't too hard to find.

But Im excited because it seems like hard water is only a week and a half away. Hope the following weeks weather holds true.
Never thought I would be waiting until February for ice. I'm a bit concerned and this freaks me out a good bit, feel like something is changing and not in a good way. The weather is different, something is up. Am I wrong ? just overreacting ?
I think today is the first day the Hale area lakes will have enough ice, 2 days ago the lakes in the rifle River rec area were not safe at all so be careful! I drove to fletchers pond from Hale.

Hoping that is the case as I am heading to Hale also.
Yeah! Going to head up next weekend. Hoping for a couple of the bigger lakes to get ice. The bait shop said a few of the smaller ones people were fishing though.
Reactions: Spacepuppy
61 - 80 of 143 Posts