Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Can anyone tell me if Leann has bounced back from the weed kill a couple of years ago? Got family on the lake and was going to bring my gear down on my next visit.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well, I re-learned the same lesson that I learn every winter. Even if I only plan on an hour or two in the ice, TAKE THE SHANTY! I don't know why I tried to bucket fish yesterday, but it was MISERABLE. The wind was nonstop. It made it so hard to get the jig down, to feel the bite, and it tangled my clam reel up so badly that I snapped and chucked it across the ice. Hilarious in retrospect after I retrieved my most expensive rod and reel and it wasn't damaged from its air travel.

Anywho, I was on my little home lake which is a late to freeze lake due to the river. The ice was crystal clear and smooth over about half of the lake. That makes for a cool but spooky walk out. I went over to the cloudy ice (fish like the shade) and found a nice spot, 1st hole, that had nonstop fish from 20' (bottom) chasing all the way up to 8'. If I had brought the shanty and heat, it would've been a limit in an hour kind of day.

It was so cold that I had to immediately decide if a fish was a keeper because they were flash freezing after 20-30 seconds out of the water. Too cold for pics - I lasted 2 hours until my fingers were bright red and left with about 10 decent gills. Lesson learned...........again.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
That story reminds me why I sold all my gear a few years ago 😀

·
Registered
577 Posts
Question for you Guys... The ice here in Jackson is super clear, no snow on top. How does that affect the bite? In all my years of fishing this area, I dont think I have ever seen the ice and water this clear. You can see the bottom. Even though its a solid 4-5 inches, Its spooky walking on it. I assume that has to make the fish spooky as well. What can share based on your experience? I would like to have some snow on top

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Question for you Guys... The ice here in Jackson is super clear, no snow on top. How does that affect the bite? In all my years of fishing this area, I dont think I have ever seen the ice and water this clear. You can see the bottom. Even though its a solid 4-5 inches, Its spooky walking on it. I assume that has to make the fish spooky as well. What can share based on your experience? I would like to have some snow on top
Never had an issue with bite. Always seemed to do better crappie fishing. Maybe due to lantern light affecting a larger area. And yes SPOOKY lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just got off a lake near Pinckney with six inches of clear hard ice. Could see the bottom more than five feet down. I love it! The cracks tell you how thick the ice is. Watch the weeds and the fish underneath your feet. But they were spooky and would not bite. They either ignored my bait or give a quick look and moved right off. Anyway it was great and I really enjoyed being out there.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Can anyone tell me if Leann has bounced back from the weed kill a couple of years ago? Got family on the lake and was going to bring my gear down on my next visit.
No, not like it use to be prior to the kill. I have several friends that have lots and do not fish like they use to. Maybe, better this ice, but we did not fish it last ice fishing season.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I feel that the fish tend to be more fussy and skittish when conditions are like this so I tend to fish a little deeper and punch a bunch of holes right off the bat, I also look for places that have a little snow on top in a area I want to fish. That all said every lake has different water clarity/depth/etc so some lakes are more affected than others by the lack of snow cover.

Edit to add that I feel light line is even more important with these conditions.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I try to find some cloudy ice on which to set up. That's what has worked this year for me. I believe the fish are more skittish when it's crystal clear unless you're night fishing then it's less important.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
577 Posts
Planning to fish all weekend. Temps the last couple of days temps have been mid to high 30s for a few hours during the day, but I doubt it impacted the ice much. Regardless, I will be spudding my way out and back in.

Good luck everyone. Hoping to see some pics of everyones catch. Ill share my pics if we get into em

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey @nwhiteley,

Great pic!

Were those specs suspended or off the bottom?

Also, what time of the day? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
No, not like it use to be prior to the kill. I have several friends that have lots and do not fish like they use to. Maybe, better this ice, but we did not fish it last ice fishing season.
Thanks for the update

Reactions: Walleyze247

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any reports for Hudson, devils, or wamplers as far as ice conditions was thinking of making a run tomorrow or if they took a hit from the temps last 2 days

·
Registered
327 Posts
Been bouncing around catchin some here and tgere. Ice is setting up nice, Hudson is ok, went to Big Long(hillsdale) yesterday as that freezes good early and is a great b-gill lake, Holy Toledo..there were 150 guys out there, dosent anyone work anymore? Dont get me wrong, was glad to see a lot of folks out fishing, just cant ever remeber ever seeing that may on weekdays. Seems to be clear GOOD ice everywhere, just gotta keep the heavy snow away. keep on fishing everyone and please be safe

·
Registered
670 Posts
Don't you know, everyone fishes the weekdays to avoid the crowds on the weekends, LOL! :p :LOL:

Reactions: Insert name here

·
Registered
853 Posts
I got out this morning for a couple hours, tried to get off the ice before I had to clean frozen fish lol, I was not successful......they were freezing fast
I started shallow but as soon as the sun was up I went deep and found lots of fish in 30+ fow most suspended 2-6 ft off the bottom, I used a large tungsten teardrop and a plastic "Ice Mite" tipped with a maggot, some fish were aggressive, some just mouthed it.
Fish Cuisine Marine biology Ray-finned fish Staple food
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape

Sent from my SM-G892U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

101 - 120 of 174 Posts