Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nice lake to fish if you can get on it. Used to fish it when I was a kid (many decades ago). LOL!
Good luck, have fun, be safe!

·
Registered
194 Posts
My brother in law went to vineyard today. Mentioned roughly 3.5” of ice. Not to hi-Jack the thread or be a downer, but what he sent me after his report made me want to puke. Posting more for awareness and to hopefully fire some people up to keep an eye out for the scumbags that do this sh*t. I am not sure how to upload the video, but he found numerous pieces of trash frozen into the ice. Mats, pizza boxes, bags of cans etc.

I don’t think it would be anyone from these threads. As a fly on the wall for a number of years most seem responsible and respectful of others. I ask you all though to speak up if you see someone littering like this.

I asked him to pick it up, but he claimed to not have any means of freeing the debris from the ice. insert comment about lack of ice spud and know how here

Keep your eyes peeled for anyone leaving crap on the ice and please say something.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
670 Posts
My brother in law went to vineyard today. Mentioned roughly 3.5” of ice. Not to hi-Jack the thread or be a downer, but what he sent me after his report made me want to puke. Posting more for awareness and to hopefully fire some people up to keep an eye out for the scumbags that do this sh*t. I am not sure how to upload the video, but he found numerous pieces of trash frozen into the ice. Mats, pizza boxes, bags of cans etc.

I don’t think it would be anyone from these threads. As a fly on the wall for a number of years most seem responsible and respectful of others. I ask you all though to speak up if you see someone littering like this.

I asked him to pick it up, but he claimed to not have any means of freeing the debris from the ice. insert comment about lack of ice spud and know how here

Keep your eyes peeled for anyone leaving crap on the ice and please say something.

Hey Risky, unfortunately I see stuff like this all too often. You are correct, I can't imagine people on this site doing any such thing, but others are out there who doing give a hoot about trashing our sport or the areas we hunt and fish.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Might just be some trash from the house on the lake ,, it has been windy out there . I find it hard to believe fellow sportsmen would do this.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Why not start a trash on the ice thread instead of screw this one up guys? Just an idea guys...

Be safe out there...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Might just be some trash from the house on the lake ,, it has been windy out there . I find it hard to believe fellow sportsmen would do this.
Have you been to a public land parking lot, shooting range or river bank recently? It’s definitely our fellow “sportsmen”.

Stuff like this drives me nuts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have certainly seen parking lots in numerous sga’s in addition to many lakes and rivers. I certainly didn’t want to ruin the thread but felt If I didn’t post then I wouldn’t be doing my part. As a guy from the younger generation my hope is to enjoy these lakes for many years to come. It was odd to see mats that many use as a base in their shanty’s left out there.

Thank you for humoring me and again, I apologize for hi-jacking.

The good news. My brother in law did catch his first ever fish and northern on a tip up. 2nd pic and my first ever pike through the ice from Saturday..
Sky Snow Cloud Vertebrate Smile

Lizard Scaled reptile Reptile Terrestrial animal Fish

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
1st pike ive seen this ice season, good job. Keep pike fishin riskybiz…the big ones are like friggin sharks

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Well, I re-learned the same lesson that I learn every winter. Even if I only plan on an hour or two in the ice, TAKE THE SHANTY! I don't know why I tried to bucket fish yesterday, but it was MISERABLE. The wind was nonstop. It made it so hard to get the jig down, to feel the bite, and it tangled my clam reel up so badly that I snapped and chucked it across the ice. Hilarious in retrospect after I retrieved my most expensive rod and reel and it wasn't damaged from its air travel.

Anywho, I was on my little home lake which is a late to freeze lake due to the river. The ice was crystal clear and smooth over about half of the lake. That makes for a cool but spooky walk out. I went over to the cloudy ice (fish like the shade) and found a nice spot, 1st hole, that had nonstop fish from 20' (bottom) chasing all the way up to 8'. If I had brought the shanty and heat, it would've been a limit in an hour kind of day.

It was so cold that I had to immediately decide if a fish was a keeper because they were flash freezing after 20-30 seconds out of the water. Too cold for pics - I lasted 2 hours until my fingers were bright red and left with about 10 decent gills. Lesson learned...........again.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
577 Posts

Keep your eyes peeled for anyone leaving crap on the
Well, I re-learned the same lesson that I learn every winter. Even if I only plan on an hour or two in the ice, TAKE THE SHANTY! I don't know why I tried to bucket fish yesterday, but it was MISERABLE. The wind was nonstop. It made it so hard to get the jig down, to feel the bite, and it tangled my clam reel up so badly that I snapped and chucked it across the ice. Hilarious in retrospect after I retrieved my most expensive rod and reel and it wasn't damaged from its air travel.

Anywho, I was on my little home lake which is a late to freeze lake due to the river. The ice was crystal clear and smooth over about half of the lake. That makes for a cool but spooky walk out. I went over to the cloudy ice (fish like the shade) and found a nice spot, 1st hole, that had nonstop fish from 20' (bottom) chasing all the way up to 8'. If I had brought the shanty and heat, it would've been a limit in an hour kind of day.

It was so cold that I had to immediately decide if a fish was a keeper because they were flash freezing after 20-30 seconds out of the water. Too cold for pics - I lasted 2 hours until my fingers were bright red and left with about 10 decent gills. Lesson learned...........again.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Been there, done that more than once!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I always take the shanty. Learned a long time ago that things change, clouds roll in, wind picks up, etc. etc. I usually put the shanty up even on nice days so the boys have somewhere to jump in and warm up or hang out if they feel like it. I bought it...why not use it eh?

Oldest is buying a one-man flip over for himself. He's gonna be hell on ice real soon....

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Great reports guys! i work 2 shifts so been busy ! but i actually sold my old boat had for 15 years today which was weird and just put Ice tackle together and in truck tonight for my only day off and just knew it was ready to ice fish, then came on here tonight, was very happy to see all the reports and pics !....Thanks guys ..You rock !!!
JTH if your looking to get out in boat give me a shout i have 16ft tracker that hardly sees the water because i hate fishing alone.

81 - 100 of 174 Posts