Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 2-3 years I've ventured out to the Detroit River during the early season walleye run, and for 2-3 years I've been getting kicked in the nuts - skunked! I have never caught a walleye while jigging until yesterday!(4/22) I guess I've FINALLY paid my dues, and it feels great!

I used to wait until the lilacs started blooming and slay the walleye trolling the inland lakes (Belleville & Cass). I've got the river bug now, and I'll never settle for inland lake walleye again. It''s no secret that its hot on the DR right now, but if I can catch em ... anyone can! Of course I still need the "training wheels" (stinger hooks), but I'm not proud.

We were using firetiger, chartreuse, and orange 3/4 to 1oz jigs with shiners. Missed a handful of bites but we were lucky sizewise: (2) 5 lb eyes at 26" & 28" lg, and the other (4) were all between 19" & 22". My partner caught both 5 pounders & an avg sized eye, and I caght 3 avg sized eyes. We didn't catch any that were undersized, which is a great sign in comparison to 2 years ago. We fished the Great Lakes steel area only, in 15-22 ft of water, from 9am to 3pm. We might have limited out, but we had to get home to the wives :sad:

Can't wait to head out again! My neighbor saw me cleaning fish and mentioned this site to me--looks like a great resource (better than wbramp.com). I can't add pics to my posts yet, but they are in the gallery.

·
Registered
163 Posts
:Welcome: , glad to see that you finally got on some eyes. It will only get better after you start catching them eyes. You keep looking at this site it will only help you out. Bc their will be a lot of great guys that will give a lot of good ideas on how to fish and where to fish.

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
congrats on figuring it out. i too had the same nemesis... i did pull a few eyes out the last couple years, but i just finally figured it out this year.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
I hope the word 'conquered' in your title doesn't jinx you.;) The river can be fickle at times. I got a limit on Saturday and only 1 on Sunday.

Congrats.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe, ya I know all about that lost feeling you get when the same ole' honeyhole isn't giving em up like it did in the past. I've only just scratched the surface, but now I have some confidence that my boat can pull walleye outta the big water.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I was like you last year and could NOT figure out what I was doing. Thanks to everyone here on MS.com, I finally broke through to the other side.

Nice work. I know how rewarding it can be.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This site has been great and has helped me explore all types of fishing that I would have never done because of lack of knowledge on my part. Anything from Sturgeon fishing the St. Clair river (0 caught to date), of my new passion of fly fishing for steelies up at tippy damn (2 caught to date) I even participated in a ice fishing tourney on Lk Fenton this winter. This site is the greatest resource from the guides down to the recreational fisherman like myself who just cant get enough. And the people on here are not afraid to share their wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Congrads on the fish and:Welcome:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts