Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Steelhead Addict
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, it's official. After 16 years of chasing steel River Lady has been baptized. lol. The Big Man dunked me under and gave his blessings. Can't believe how it happened. I was just standing there talking to another angler and all off a sudden I was in a 1/2 crab walk stance leaning on one hand trying to keep most of my body out of the water. Thank god there was someone next to me to pull me up or I would have gone all the way under. :yikes: Though I didn't get thoroughly soaked, it still managed to get down the back of my waders. Dang that water is cold.
But, I wasn't the only one. My son and my other 1/2 took a dunk too. Funny part is, the drunk that was with us was the only one that managed to stay dry.:dizzy: I guess he is just a little better at stumbeling.:lol:

Fishing was good. We all kept one and had a good amount on. Except me, I did keep a pretty fresh color hen that was spitting, but only had 4 on for the weekend. I guess I wasn't sticking my tongue out right or something.:D She was a stubborn little girl too. She was only maybe 8 lbs but she gave me a good 5 minute battle. Felt nice.:evil: My son lost one fish due to the fact that some dude in a boat snagged the fish while he was fighting it. People are flippin crazy I tell ya. :dizzy:

Oh and I had the pleasue of fishing with a couple guys that I've been harrassing for a couple weeks now. Thanks for the use of your net and Jay.....go back to your hole. lolol

·
Registered
610 Posts
RIVER LADY said:
Yep, it's official. After 16 years of chasing steel River Lady has been baptized. lol. The Big Man dunked me under

Were are the pic's River Lady?

·
Steelhead Addict
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RiverRanger said:
Were are the pic's River Lady?

:lol: Well, fortunatley there are none of me 1/2 under. Thank god.

But, we did get a pic of my sons friends pretty buck a 10lber. Biggest one for him. And of course we got one of my pretty hen. He actually took video of me fighting it too. I am waiting on him to get the pics to me. It could be a little while. I'm sorry. I wish I had them cause we got a couple hilarious pics in there I can't wait to show you guys and tell you the story behind it.

·
Steelhead Addict
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron Matthews said:
were or were we not just talking about this last Week? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I told you so !!!!!!!
Wish i could have seen it:D
It's your flippin fault.:rant: I told you you jinxed me.

I'm sure the look on my face as I'm leaning on one hand waiting for someone to pull me up was hilairous. I know my eyes were half bugged out of my head while I was gasping for air from the cold water entering the back of the waders and very quickly making it's way to an area that should not have to endure that.:lol:

But, it didn't take me down long. I was back on the river in an hour.:evilsmile

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
My first baptism was at Ghoul's Hole, in the Holy Water; on the Trout opener. I was about 12, and it was REAL cold. I floated through the hole, but the current dumped my on the outside bank; so I had to jump back in the water (in waders) and swim back across.
My worst baptism was at 6th St, in early March, about 20 years ago. Some guys had waded out, and were fishing the boils, and hooking up every few casts. Nobody from shore was hooking anything. So, I proceeded to carefully wade out, and fish with the "hookers." I hooked some fish, and they all would tear downstream, and I had to break them all off. Eventually one big fish went down, and it unbalanced me so I lost my footing, and floated down after it. I made it out around the US-131 bridge, and landed that fish.
Neoprene waders float a LOT better than plain rubber waders do.

Congrats on your first dunk, River Lady. All is well that ends well.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
In all my years of river fishing that is one thing I have not done...KNOCK ON WOOD :bonk: :bonk: Sorry to hear of your chilling experience and glad things turned out ok as a cold river can be mean and nasty. On a side note, I was fishing downstream from Croton one day and grabbed a boat, motor and all of some D/A's fishing tackle that floated by. Seemed he had unhooked the boat and backed down the ramp...The boat unloaded itself and was gone...About a week later I netted a D/A that floated by feet up. He was fishing about 60 feet from me and lost his footing. Bet he never tied a belt around a set of nylon waders again. It seems that he didn't want the water to get in should he fall... So instead he created this giant air bubble around his feet....Here's your sign :protest_e

LMF :fish:

·
Steelhead Addict
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lkmifisherman said:
In all my years of river fishing that is one thing I have not done...KNOCK ON WOOD :bonk: :bonk:

You're in for it now. Those were almost my exact words to Ron Matthews over a week ago and I got after him for making a statement because I just knew he had jinxed me and look what happened.:lol: So now, when you receive your blessing.......you can blame me.:lol:

I'm looking at it as a positive experience. I have received the blessing from the Big Man and I will now land more fish for paying my dues.:evil:

·
Steelhead Addict
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fishndude said:
My first baptism was at Ghoul's Hole, in the Holy Water; on the Trout opener. I was about 12, and it was REAL cold. I floated through the hole, but the current dumped my on the outside bank; so I had to jump back in the water (in waders) and swim back across.
My worst baptism was at 6th St, in early March, about 20 years ago. Some guys had waded out, and were fishing the boils, and hooking up every few casts. Nobody from shore was hooking anything. So, I proceeded to carefully wade out, and fish with the "hookers." I hooked some fish, and they all would tear downstream, and I had to break them all off. Eventually one big fish went down, and it unbalanced me so I lost my footing, and floated down after it. I made it out around the US-131 bridge, and landed that fish.
Neoprene waders float a LOT better than plain rubber waders do.

Congrats on your first dunk, River Lady. All is well that ends well.
You the man Fishndude, however I would have crapped myself:yikes:

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Not sure how much "I am the man," but it was tricky fighting a fish, and fighting to find bottom with my toes every 25 feet or so, for 200 yards. I felt a lot like the scene in the move, A River Runs Through It, where Brad Pitt fights a giant Brown Trout, but has to go underwater and downstream to land it from where he hooked it.

The day I floated Ghoul's Hole, I was with a friend, who also took a swim, because he stepped forward to try to help me, and was swept in as well. I was a competitive swimmer, and was very confident that I would be fine. He was not a great swimmer, and was very panicked - he made a move with a bamboo flyrod trying to climb onto some stumps which about made me puke. He had a belt around his waist (I didn't), and he bent his knees - he learned that from fishing and hunting magazines apparently; and since the air (read flotation) was trapped in his legs, it tipped him upside down, so he floated head down. I had to grab his feet, while I was floating, and give him a spin to bring his head up. I guess I can understand his panic a little bit.

Yeah, feeling that cold water dump down your back is an enlightening experience. Laying down and lifting your feet to drain it out of your waders is a close 2nd.
I am getting old, and I really like boat fishing anymore. :lol:

·
Steelhead Addict
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fishndude said:
Not sure how much "I am the man," but it was tricky fighting a fish, and fighting to find bottom with my toes every 25 feet or so, for 200 yards. I felt a lot like the scene in the move, A River Runs Through It, where Brad Pitt fights a giant Brown Trout, but has to go underwater and downstream to land it from where he hooked it.

The day I floated Ghoul's Hole, I was with a friend, who also took a swim, because he stepped forward to try to help me, and was swept in as well. I was a competitive swimmer, and was very confident that I would be fine. He was not a great swimmer, and was very panicked - he made a move with a bamboo flyrod trying to climb onto some stumps which about made me puke. He had a belt around his waist (I didn't), and he bent his knees - he learned that from fishing and hunting magazines apparently; and since the air (read flotation) was trapped in his legs, it tipped him upside down, so he floated head down. I had to grab his feet, while I was floating, and give him a spin to bring his head up. I guess I can understand his panic a little bit.

Yeah, feeling that cold water dump down your back is an enlightening experience. Laying down and lifting your feet to drain it out of your waders is a close 2nd.
I am getting old, and I really like boat fishing anymore. :lol:
Well fishndude, I still believe "you the man". Even if you are getting old.:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts