Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not too early to gear up for bird hunting season

The middle of August may seem a little early to start writing about the small-game seasons that open in September, but it really isn't.
The state's special goose season opens Sept. 1, and grouse season opens Sept. 15. The woodcock season opens Sept. 20. Those dates are going to seem like just a few naps and a snooze away come September.

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2008/08/its_not_too_early_to_gear_up_f.html

·
Banned
792 Posts
Gear is ready along with the dogs as they have had a pen full of birds shot over them. I just wish it was 100 degrees outside. This cool weather in august probably means another hot sept. *!#*^#!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I am getting geared up! One more trip to Cabelas and stocking up on shells and I should be good to go.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
From the mLive article:

"Stewart said a DNR survey of grouse hunters found that they flushed an average of 2.2 birds per house last fall, compared with 1.81 birds in 2006. That is a 12 percent increase, he said."

And here I've been hunting out in the woods like a chump! No wonder I didn't see many birds in '07! Guess the real hunting is indoors!

KW

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
I am getting geared up! One more trip to Cabelas and stocking up on shells and I should be good to go.
Reloading this weekend...

Not to take this thread off topic, but I'm curious what shot size you all use. I got in a heated (but friendly) debate this week over whether 7.5 or 8 is more appropriate for grouse and woodcock. Obviously, there are other factors to consider (gauge, dr.eq., cover etc) but does anyone have a strong opinion?

Personally, I like to carry both. If I'm missing birds, I think changing shot size can be psychological pick-me-up.

Maybe I should cut and paste this into a new thread... or a poll? Hmm...

KW

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
OK,

The only real difference might be 7.5 has a slight bit more down range energy. I am not good at Math so I wont attempt to tell you how far that is.

But a quick google search indicated that

#8 shot is 2.29mm
#7.5 shot is 2.41mm

for a difference of .12 mm in shot diameter or 7.5 shot is 5% bigger - could that mean it has 5% more down range energy?

I have killed grouse with 9's, 8.5s, 8's (most common), 7.5's, and 6's - use what ever you feel you can hit with.

I think Kush is debating on if Green Hulls work better then red....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts