Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s the last day of the gun season, it's 4:00pm, he steps up to the tree, climbs to the stand, waits for the closing hours of the season. Still score less he waits for the final bell. But wait! What’s this, with 10 minutes left in play time a doe has presented herself with a 30 yard shot standing broad side. He raises his gun level out the shot, double checks for any obstructions, and looks down the sight and squeezes the trigger. KKKOOO-pop!!!!!

“I should have check for dry powder before I went out.”

But wait!!!!!!!

She doesn’t run off. She has no clue of what just happened. He’s reaching for his 44 cal. black powder revolver. Once again he lines up the shot squeezes the trigger “KKOOOO-Bang” (Not as loud as the rifle.) It’s a hit, with less then 5 minutes left in the season, HE SCORES. 137 lb. Doe, taken with the 44 cal. black powder pistol.

Steve

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Fantastic - what a great ending to deer season. You'll remember this one for a long time. Congrats, John-Ypsi

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Congrats Steve!!!

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Congrats! Now you've got something for the table and starting tomorrow you can start looking for the biggun you saw. :)

Gonna do the late season hunt in Allegan this year? Or you gonna go out the house door for muzzleloader?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sib said:
Congrats! Now you've got something for the table and starting tomorrow you can start looking for the biggun you saw. :)
This doe had walked through the back yard before she got to me and after I shot her she ran out into the golden rod field and there she laid. Went maybe 50 yards. I have not seen any bucks out at my place since Oct. 29th. but I know they are still there. They keep hitting their scrapes.

Sib said:
Gonna do the late season hunt in Allegan this year? Or you gonna go out the house door for muzzleloader?
Funny you should say "out the house door". Connie has been calling me here at work for that last 2 day telling me all about the deer that have been walking around the yard in the middle of the day. I told her to stop calling me because it wasn't helping me get my work done.

I won't be able to hunt Allegan this weekend but next weekend I will be up there all weekend. We have a doe tag to fill up there.

I'm not to sure that I'm happy that ML season opens up on Friday. I liked that 10 day +/- off after the gun season for things to settle down.

Steve

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Steven Arend said:
I'm not to sure that I'm happy that ML season opens up on Friday. I liked that 10 day +/- off after the gun season for things to settle down.

Steve
Yeah, I liked that period of normality after firearms, too. Traditionally it made for some quiet bowhunting and at a time before it got so cold that you got decked out in heavy jackets and gear. In the past when muzzleloader rolled around I was generally ready to put the bow away for the year.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I thought that was going to be another "Life with Steve Story" :lol: :lol:

Good thing for that revolver! ;)

Now maybe you need a way to "holster" extra dipsies...diver rods...truck keys... :p

Congrats!!

Eric

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Congrats Steve!
Sounds like the new homestead is working out for ya..;) !

Is this the first taken with a powder pistol for you?
I've always considered carring one.
Three years ago I shot a 7 point with my 44 redhawk during gun season. That was a rush. I bet it's even more satisifing to do it with a BP pistol.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
The hunting gods were definately looking out for you, a second chance in the last few minutes of the season. Good job!!!!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wyle_e_coyote said:
Congrats Steve!
Sounds like the new homestead is working out for ya..;) !

Is this the first taken with a powder pistol for you?
I've always considered carring one.
Three years ago I shot a 7 point with my 44 redhawk during gun season. That was a rush. I bet it's even more satisifing to do it with a BP pistol.
Glenn,

This is my second year with the piston. I shot a six point with it last year during the ML season up in Allegan, but he swam a creek and we lost blood on the other side. Its a nice back-up firearm. I love shooting it, I can hold a 2" groupping free-stand at 25 yards. You just have to watch out for side blast. :tdo12: The flames shot out about 6" on either side of the cylinder.

Steve

·
Registered
382 Posts
and the crowd goes wild, i cant beleive it, do you beleive in merical's,,,,,holy cow Elves has left the building.................( great story ) just had to add my endding to it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts