Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

It pays to be nice

920 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  mwp 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a call last night from a friend of mine wondering if I would loan out the dog trailer. I even got conned into delivering it to him while he was out pheasant hunting at his new best friends house.:confused:

Went goose hunting this morning and made the drive down to Chelsea to drop off the trailer. To my suprise Dicks new hunting partner has one of his Munsterlander pups and is a farmer with crp ground. Looks like the only reason I'm needed anymore is for the trailer.:tdo12:

Farmer sees my MTA hat and asks if I trap. Yes got my foot in the door!
He goes on to tell me he snared the farm before the loop change and caught 19 coyotes the first year. Since the loop change he can only hold a couple a year. Plus he sucks at foothold trapping.

I offer to come down and help him with his sets and give him some pointers. Out comes the key ring and he hands me the key for all his gates. Guess I wont have to worry about the lessons.

Calls the neighbors and tells them what kind of truck I drive. Plus tells me I can pheasant hunt on the farms in December when he goes south.

Going to keep keep chasing the geese for three more weeks,then lay some steel. Wonder how many days it will take me to find the travel routes.

Bling Bling from this morning.

Griff

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Mike,

Sounds like you are going to have plenty of fun thinning out those coyotes, once you get tried of downing those honkers.

Snow is starting to stick half way down the mountain sides here in Alaska and the trapping season opens on Nov. 10th. Probably won't have a chance to do much trapping until after the first of the year. But I will definitely be giving it a try, especially since I am see a lot of lynx and fox sign.

Who knows one of these dumb long legged cats might even stumble into one of my traps when they are chasing all the snowshoes hares around the woods. Yes, there is a bumper crop of hares this year up here. So the predator population should be peaking real soon. :D

#7 ·
Griff didn't even use a gun, did you moon them? :lol:

Yep, I was talking about the skunks I've been getting, got another spot from a guy and he's got fox too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.