Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't believe my luck when the land owner said yes! I was doing a job up near Pellston, and the landowner came out from a piece of property (that I was admiring and dreaming about hunting for coyote) to ask what we were surveying. After shooting the breeze for a few minutes about what we were surveying, I asked if he had any coyotes on the property. He said he did, and the guys that run them with dogs usually take about 20 or so a year off the property. He then asked if I called or used dogs, I said I called, and he said I like that over dogs, and your welcome any time. Said there's 325 acres on this side of the road, and 350 on the other, help yourself anytime.
That puts me up to about 1,500 acres of private land for which to try my luck! Never hurts to ask!!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I think I need to get into this. I have 40 acres and access to another 320 and possibly more of my cousins property and we do NOT like the coyotes up there. Many a time I have seen them crusing past my deer blind.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Becareful, because coyote is closed in the LP during firearm deer season.

Just my opinion, but I find this way more exciting than deer hunting. More challenging at least, but maybe because deer hunting I just sit in a blind.

By the way to all, anyone who wants to come up and hunt with me is more than welcome. All I ask is a few weeks notice.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
crittergetter said:
Closed in Zones 1 & 2 from November 15-30. Not closed in zone 3. I think you may have ment the NLP.

I may take you up on that offer sometime CG! I would have to "come down" though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uptracker, Come on down, I lost my one hunting buddy all of last year, to him building a house and hunted alone all last year. Plus, having someone else throw their spin on things, or watch the other direction may increase productivity.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
crittergetter said:

Just my opinion, but I find this way more exciting than deer hunting. More challenging at least, but maybe because deer hunting I just sit in a blind.

By the way to all, anyone who wants to come up and hunt with me is more than welcome. All I ask is a few weeks notice.
Either that or we may invite you to come over to our area. Our hunting property is just west of Rogers City.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
True, I wouldn't mind you coming up here either. They're tough up here.....it seems. I got two on the trail cam the past few weeks, but have never seen them in the area, let alone heard them....or called them in succesfully! I've even tried trapping them and being really scent cautious and use the theory of "location, location, location!" Fox aren't too tough, but the yotes are. I think the wolves got them scared poopless to move in and stay. I'm not saying I don't need a few lessons in calling and trapping though.

Youngen.....

I don't have the marbles to try calling at night either though. My luck, I'd shoot a wolf and have to move to Ontario.

Do you hunt in the summer at all?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Thats what ours look like now but 15 yrs ago they were not as healthy and straggly looking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts