Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year, we have deer with leg injuries using our property after hunting season. Saturday afternoon, I was walking out to my stand when a deer jumped up, ran about 10 yards, then stopped and watched me walk past at a distance of 25 yards. It had been shot in the hind quarter and it had no use of one of it's rear legs. My neighbors shoot anything and they wound lots of deer. I also found a dead deer in our back woods which butts up to the offending neighbor's property. There was a blood trail coming onto my land from that same neighbor's property on opening day of gun season. They didn't bother to track the deer. Each spring, when I walk our 60 acres, I find dead deer. It's a shame that some hunters don't take the time to learn how to shoot their weapons. There is no excuse for wounding and not tracking a deer, yet my neighbors do just that every year.

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
Mike,

Those things you mention are a shame. Have you tried to them about these things? Does he feel he cannot track deer onto your property? I think you are giving this neighbor to much credit by calling him a hunter. Sound more like an arse to me. My $02.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
What type of weapon or round are they shooting at these deer and at what distance? Bow? Shotgun? Rifle?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deepwoods, I've never even met these neighbors. The property is farmland and there is no house on the property. I see them camped out near my property line during the gun seasons so I pretty much avoid those areas. If I hear a shot, I always investigate but I never see them enter my land and they don't come to our house for tracking permission. I guess some folks don't care if they wound animals and leave them to suffer.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob, they're shooting shotguns with slugs and possibly muzzleloaders too. I don't know if they bow hunt. I do see them hunting for small game during bow season. I whistle at them so they don't shoot toward me if they see a squirrel.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've often wondered if some hunters feel that, when using a firearm the deer should drop right away if fatally hit.
Thus if it runs off they don't bother looking for it, figuring that they won't find it anyway or that someone else will tag it further down the trail.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I know what you mean. We found 2 bucks and a doe on our 70 acres this year. We always find dead deer after season. It makes me sick how much shooting goes on in our section.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
please tell me you shot the one watching you walk by at 25 yards?

·
Registered
118 Posts
We have neighbors like that in the UP, but most of the wounded or dead deer we found were from their nightly shinning. These guys would have a huge bait pile in the field and they would shine it almost every night. They would shoot at everything in the field and then go looking in the morning if they even did that. We had the CO's investigate but just never caught them in the act.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bow Hunter Brandon, I did not shoot the doe that was watching me. First of all, I don't have a doe license. Also, most deer I see with leg injuries(I see them every year)will survive. We have one doe that only has 3 legs. She is 5-1/2 years old now and she had 1 fawn this year. We have another doe whose leg was severely injured 2 years ago. She now has a crooked leg and she walks with a limp but she still eludes all the dogs and coyotes in our area. If an injured deer was unable to move, I would likely put it out of its misery. If they are able to run on 3 legs, I leave them alone. Most of them will survive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts