Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its been a unbelieveable season. I learned a few more thing along the way and the best part met a few nice people along the way. I hunted with a few guys from this website and really enjoyed the company. ;) Hope to hunt with a few more next year. I got out of this season everything I could of asked. I can handle the stresses of everyday life at least til next season when I will do it all over again. This season is over for me, its been a great one.

I already have a list of things I'm going to be doing this winter to make next season just as enjoyable. A couple things up on the "todo" list is to get my buddies sculling boat re-fiberglassed. Buy some raffia grass from wallie world and start doing some camo changes on my boat blind. Set up in-line floats on the boat anchors so we can "quick" detach the anchors without pulling them and get cripples faster. These are just a few things on the "todo" list.

What changes,things or ideas do you guys have on the "todo" list for next season?????

Kevlar

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Kevlar said:
Set up in-line floats on the boat anchors so we can "quick" detach the anchors without pulling them and get cripples faster. These are just a few things on the "todo" list.
The little bouys with the holes in them work ok to run the anchor line through but, for visability in locating your anchor...nuttin beats a Clorox jug.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
lwingwatcher said:
The little bouys with the holes in them work ok to run the anchor line through but, for visability in locating your anchor...nuttin beats a Clorox jug.

I can testify to that!!! Hunted on Houghton Lake with Lwing and that Clorox jug was visible from a loooong way off. Made easy work of finding the anchoring spot.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Kevlar said:
Set up in-line floats on the boat anchors so we can "quick" detach the anchors without pulling them and get cripples faster.
Kevlar
man you are like reading my mind. Thats on my todo also. My todo list has alot of sh`t on it. Mostly stuff I got to buy. :)

field layout blind
2+ doz goose full body
build trailer to haul said above
3+ doz blue bills - rig long lines.
20' tender boat - 40+hp tiller

send that list to santa for me kev!

Has been a great year, better than most in my eyes. Was a little slow at the start but man, this last few weeks has been awesome.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
We use a float from a lobster trap.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Kev,

your list sounds a lot like mine, only I'm sure mine is on a much smaller scale, gonna make that two man kayak into a layout boat for the marsh with some cattails and chicken wire......something involved with duck hunting when it's not season

Joe

·
Registered
485 Posts
spray paint those bouys with neon orange spray paint. Never again have i looked foolish looking for my white anchor bouy. Good chop on a dark day makes all whitecaps look like my anchor buoy :lol:
my float is from a lobster pot, It soaks the paint good.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Well ? I've had better years, but I was fortunate to meet a couple very nice guys from the board and missed going to visit another gentleman that camps at FP.....( just pure lazyness) my bad ! But I'll meet him next year, no doubt.
I've shot many birds in other years, but I also learned some things this year, which is a good thing I feel. My opening day was the sweetest in years. Switching from a flute to a short reed was a "Biggy" for me. And to slide a pair of geese as far as I did with my new short reed ? Well ? It just made my whole season. To be able to do that ,and "Know" it wasnt anybody else calling but me ? Words cannot describe how I felt inside. Sooooo that alone made for a great season. And I seen a bunch tonight so I might not be done just yet.......... :)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I'd call it pretty typical for me, although I shot fewer birds this year than in the past because 1) I didn't get to North Dakota this year, and 2) I spent more time messing around up on the bay chasing divers, and often not doing well (still learning that game :lol: ), than I did at the puddle duck areas. So that was my choice, and I have no regrets. But on the up side, I had a few great days in the field, including an outstanding layout hunt on Houghton Lake thanks to Lwingwatcher inviting me along. Thanks again Lee!

As Kevlar said, I too got a chance to meet, and hunt with, a few great guys this year. Since my regular group of the past 15 years or so is all but disintegrating, I look forward to more days with those of you that I was fortunate enough to get out with, and also some of you that we just couldn't work out. I have to apologize to all of you that were interested in the Shiawassee group outing that I opened my big mouth about, but never came through with. Next year guys...next year ;)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Kevlar said:
Well its been a unbelieveable season. I learned a few more thing along the way and the best part met a few nice people along the way. I hunted with a few guys from this website and really enjoyed the company. ;) Hope to hunt with a few more next year. I got out of this season everything I could of asked. I can handle the stresses of everyday life at least til next season when I will do it all over again. This season is over for me, its been a great one.

I already have a list of things I'm going to be doing this winter to make next season just as enjoyable. A couple things up on the "todo" list is to get my buddies sculling boat re-fiberglassed. Buy some raffia grass from wallie world and start doing some camo changes on my boat blind. Set up in-line floats on the boat anchors so we can "quick" detach the anchors without pulling them and get cripples faster. These are just a few things on the "todo" list.

What changes,things or ideas do you guys have on the "todo" list for next season?????

Kevlar
:yikes: All done? Just because your wifes do in 2 days doesnt mean you have to quit hunting. She can call you in the marsh. :lol:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Shiawassee_Kid said:
kevlar, you want to sneek a hunt in with me and JD saturday give me hollar. I'm drivin (i'm hosting).
Good thought SK....Kev and I had a great time at FP back in November.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm probably done for the year.It was a pretty good year for me.I didn't kill as many as I would have liked,but this was my first year of hunting mostly on my own without my more experienced buddy along and I definately made a few rookie mistakes.
My calling has improved,help from you guys helped me get my dog switched from upland to duck...no pro,but does fine by me!
I did Shiawasse,again not great,but at least have a little clue now :)
Best hunt of the year was a morning in October, only got 2 mallards,but had taken my daughter(9) along,got up at 4am,she helped me set-up and we spent the morning in the blind drinking hot chocolate and feeding cookies to the dog :) That was a good day!

My things to do this year

Practice calling more
READ!!
Work the dog
Shoot skeet,more skeet and more skeet :lol:
Paint the dekes and scout some new spots!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kid and JD,

Thanks for the offer but I must decline. My wife can litterly need to go the hospital 10 minutes from now. :yikes:

I have always wanted to go to Shiawassee. (Can't believe I haven't ever been there) Maybe next season. Good Luck out there guys. Post up those photo's if you guys bang a few.

Kevlar

·
Registered
270 Posts
kev..

you guys had a great season. congratulations. i enjoyed seeing all your pics. hopefully next year we can get together for a hunt
~chris~

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bart,

Thanks, You guys also had a good year, :) Yep maybe well get out next season.

Hopefully we will have a couple meet and skeets this summer. The last one that Big Nic and Branta put on was really fun. You guys that didn't attend last year missed out, big time.

Kevlar

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
From the looks of all your pitures i would say ya also had a pretty good year. Tanx for takin the time to post them pitures up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It was a Great Year for Me!!!! I got to Hunt!!! After a Terrible Accident that should have left me Dead 3 Years Ago, I was able to get out this Year a Handful of Times, Thanks to a Couple of Nice Guys. Thanks Guys Very Much.
Not having the Privilage to Drive due to Medical Reasons for the Last Three Years, and Finally getting the Ok from the Doctor to Hunt,but take it easy no Matter what you do. {back&neck Injury}
I only Managed to Shoot about a Half Dozen Ducks or so, But boy was it Great just getting out there Doing what I Loved to do, and used to take for granted and do all the Time.
Before the Wreck, in 2001, I duck Hunted over 60 Days of that Season.
This Year, Those Handful of Times was Better than all Sixty of those days put Together, and Hopefully I made a Couple new Friends.
Just Remember: it's not the Quantity of Days spent out Hunting,or the Amount of Ducks Shot that Really Matters, But that you can get out and Enjoy Nature and Gods Creations, and sometimes meet Someone That does care.
Thanks Again Dan and Pat, I hope We can get Together Again Someday, it's Something I will look Forward To.
Take Care and God Bless all. Paul

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
WoodchuckSniper said:
zr800o1le.....

You really know how to put things in perspective.
My thoughts exactly. Next time we all (including me) get on a whine about skybusters or no birds around, we need to go back to his post. Definite reality check ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts