Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I come from shooting a Hoyt spyder. Had to upgrade because I had a limb start to crack. But I never had a issues like this before.

Anyways I upgraded to a v3 31 77lbs 30.5 in draw. With hanskea trinity hunter pro. Shooting 31in gt black label 300 spine, 4 fletch q2i 2.1 fusion x-ii left offset 2degree With 150 tips.

But the bow Felt great and shot great when looking for new ones. Well after having for few weeks now I am still having issues with it. I got the sight dialed in. But EVERY time I shoot this bow my point of impact changes. I can shoot great groups out to 50 yards then come back next day and be 6-8 in off left or right. Groups are still there just off L/R.

It happens on the same day get bow all set up grouping at 50 in 4 in groups take a break and then my point of impact may change 2 in off at 20.

I thought I may be torquing the smaller grip so I upgraded to the wider uv grip but did not fix the issue.

Also the string twist on this bow is ridiculous can never get it to stay straight. Every shot I need twist peep back to get straight.

I have had the shop check timing and timing is spot on. Arrows paper great.

I’m at a loss, I want to like this bow but I’m becoming so frustrated trying to make this work. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just a guess maybe new strings beginning to work themselves in ? If you say that your peep and loop are constantly out of alignment. Other than that possibly inconsistency in your form.. facial pressure??? If your paper tune is good and you can get 4" 50 yrd groups it likely something you are doing or not doing. What type of release are you shooting?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I probably got over 1000 shots in the bow now. I figure the strings would of stretch by this point.

i am using tru ball goat release as a thumb. Using as back tension pulling threw the shot.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Alot of guys change strings to something like Gas strings. Lots of complaints about Mathews Zebra strings.
There has also been complaints about bad bearings in a few newer models, but I don't know if yours was one. The Mathews FB site is a good source on what's up with them,so is Archery Talk.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Should not be you strings after 1000 shots. And pulling through was going to be my next suggestion. Definately kinda weird. You say the bow is shooting through paper well and you've been to the shop to check timing etc. So the only thing that leaves is shooter form ?
Last suggestion is maybe use your phone to record when the bow shoots well then when it does not. See if you can determine what's different???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I say it paper tunes. The shop paper tunes at 3 ft away so it looks good but I’m not sure if that’s right

·
Registered
728 Posts
When I say it paper tunes. The shop paper tunes at 3 ft away so it looks good but I’m not sure if that’s right
If you are getting a bullet hole paper tear at 3' its not a problem with the Bow.Are you personally getting that tear or shop tech.getting it? And if it is the tech. and you cannot duplicate the same its def on you...

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
I can not for the life of me shoot newer Mathews bows very accurately, just torque the crap out of them. One day I'm shooting good, next hour or day scattering arrows usually to the left. Not the bows fault ,it's me. Wish I could .
I've owned a bunch of Mathews bows over the years all were good bows, but the last two( the No Cam and Halon 32) About pulled all of my hair out trying to tune them. Like you,the guy at the " pro shop" got bullet holes. But when I got home, I didn't. Ended up selling both.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are getting a bullet hole paper tear at 3' its not a problem with the Bow.Are you personally getting that tear or shop tech.getting it? And if it is the tech. and you cannot duplicate the same its def on you...
I personally haven’t, the tech puts it on a machine and is shooting it. I figure it was something more with me then the bow. I did switch peeps today and that had help more and keeping the peep straight more.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Not sure what your experience level is so I may be preaching to the choir....but anyone can suffer form issues from time to time grip, torque, poor anchoring, some target panic the list goes on. Focus on the basics if you are feeling good about you. Maybe time to look for a little more forgiving bow ? Not saying your have to go buy one just maybe explore other bow configurations... longer bows, longer brace heights generally offer more forgiveness. The V3 is a 27" ata with a 6" brace height. That's pretty aggressive, maybe try something 32"ata with a 6 1/2" or 7" brace height. Just to see how you shoot one. Then decide if the V3 is what you like best.
Please note this just how I would approach your situation. I am not an expert archer actually I once thought I was much more accomplished and now I am working through Target panic so bad that it had me hunting with a crossbow the last 2 deer seasons. I am just now on a path back to shooting my compound. But what I had to do was go back and re examine why I could no longer shoot well. Just offered this for full disclosure.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not sure what your experience level is so I may be preaching to the choir....but anyone can suffer form issues from time to time grip, torque, poor anchoring, some target panic the list goes on. Focus on the basics if you are feeling good about you. Maybe time to look for a little more forgiving bow ? Not saying your have to go buy one just maybe explore other bow configurations... longer bows, longer brace heights generally offer more forgiveness. The V3 is a 27" ata with a 6" brace height. That's pretty aggressive, maybe try something 32"ata with a 6 1/2" or 7" brace height. Just to see how you shoot one. Then decide if the V3 is what you like best.
Please note this just how I would approach your situation. I am not an expert archer actually I once thought I was much more accomplished and now I am working through Target panic so bad that it had me hunting with a crossbow the last 2 deer seasons. I am just now on a path back to shooting my compound. But what I had to do was go back and re examine why I could no longer shoot well. Just offered this for full disclosure.
The archery club i belong to had over 400 members in the early 90's,Packed leagues 7 days a week competitive
archery for amateurs and pros.I witnessed many bowmen quit archery for ever because they couldn't control T. P......

·
Registered
728 Posts
I personally haven’t, the tech puts it on a machine and is shooting it. I figure it was something more with me then the bow. I did switch peeps today and that had help more and keeping the peep straight more.
If it is a Hooter Shooter that shoots your bow perfectly through paper (looks like s bullet hole) try to duplicate that same shot.The bow by its self won't change shot to shot unless it breaks.If you have good, always consistent form you should be able to do that,every shot.if not your form needs evaluation. I am only guessing because you don't paper tune your self you may be self taught and your form needs tweeking.If you went from a bow that had a higher brace height to one that is lower
it will not be as forgiving of any seemingly small change in form. Every thing comes into play because it is not the same bow as the Hoyt. A31" bow like your V-3 would be more difficult to shoot than a bow that was say,34 or 35" and having a 7" brace height. Thats certainly a high quality bow,don't give up on it there are solutions for every problem!!

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts
The archery club i belong to had over 400 members in the early 90's,Packed leagues 7 days a week competitive
archery for amateurs and pros.I witnessed many bowmen quit archery for ever because they couldn't control T. P......
Good to know I'm not alone. Haven't given up completely but damn is it ever frustrating!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good to know I'm not alone. Haven't given up completely but damn is it ever frustrating!
It's not easy to beat it ,BUT you can control it.The most recommended way by reputable coaches, is to blank bale
No target.May take many shots,to the point of real boredom,and considerable time,If your Archery aspirations are just to bow hunt , the off season (like now) is the time to do it. Use and visualize correct form on a close bale.With enough repetitions your mind will tell you when you are in control, and not archery anxiety.Don't shoot to the point that you become tired,as that is when good form will break down. Professional archers don't make bad shots because they learn early on to let down if any aspect of their shot sequence is not right and only perfect practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
728 Posts
A very informative article can be found online on methods to beat target panic is from The Journal of Mountain Hunting
titled The science of Buck Fever(& 5 ways to get rid of Target panic for once and for all) by Ben Greenfield> GREAT INFO..

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Personally I learned a lot from John dudleys video series on target panic. He outlines a really detailed way that got me to make the decision to work through my TP. I have it/had it bad to the point where I would "yip" so badly I would miss a 2ft x 2ft target butt at 10 yards. You can't rush the process I actually never touched my bow for about a month. I just used a shot trainer. I bought johns but you can just as easily use a piece of para cord.
I set up a range in my basement and have been shooting almost everyday for about a month now. I can now put arrows into the same spot until fatigue gets my form. Not saying that the op has TP but just be aware that a good majority of archers get it, have it or had it. Some can manage it better than others. Some quit shooting. I quit...but missed the elements of hunting deer with a compound bow. So I have decided, that no matter what I'm gonna Learn how to cure my target panic.
I bought one of john releases also.(full disclosure) like the guy or not I have to give him a shout out.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Decker, after 1000 shots the threads should not be moving, this is not working in your favor. Zebra is not good and that’s all I will say. You moved from one bow to another so you need to let the bow tell you how to grip. Going wider is working against you. Look into GRIVs Thing a week from The archery learning center, has a great video on grip and how to stay consistent. I’d shoot a bare shaft at about 7’ and see how your tear is. Your arrow is weak with your specs especially with 150 up front but not causing your issue. Lots of TP talk here. Many cases of TP can be traced to improper bow fit, and form issues. Look at GRIVs video #8 I think about holding low, easy fix and not TP.

Reactions: textox

·
Registered
728 Posts
Personally I learned a lot from John dudleys video series on target panic. He outlines a really detailed way that got me to make the decision to work through my TP. I have it/had it bad to the point where I would "yip" so badly I would miss a 2ft x 2ft target butt at 10 yards. You can't rush the process I actually never touched my bow for about a month. I just used a shot trainer. I bought johns but you can just as easily use a piece of para cord.
I set up a range in my basement and have been shooting almost everyday for about a month now. I can now put arrows into the same spot until fatigue gets my form. Not saying that the op has TP but just be aware that a good majority of archers get it, have it or had it. Some can manage it better than others. Some quit shooting. I quit...but missed the elements of hunting deer with a compound bow. So I have decided, that no matter what I'm gonna Learn how to cure my target panic.
I bought one of john releases also.(full disclosure) like the guy or not I have to give him a shout out.
Thats good to hear,what ever works is a GOOD THING.Most archers can have some TP.at any given time and some overcome it easily and aren't further troubled by it.It is after all a problem within the mind that affects the shot process
and the mind can be trained to control it. Good shooting going forward CDN1!!! I think OP switched from a bow(Hoyt Spyder) to the Mathews with a 3/4" less brace height that could be causing some issues.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Decker, after 1000 shots the threads should not be moving, this is not working in your favor. Zebra is not good and that’s all I will say. You moved from one bow to another so you need to let the bow tell you how to grip. Going wider is working against you. Look into GRIVs Thing a week from The archery learning center, has a great video on grip and how to stay consistent. I’d shoot a bare shaft at about 7’ and see how your tear is. Your arrow is weak with your specs especially with 150 up front but not causing your issue. Lots of TP talk here. Many cases of TP can be traced to improper bow fit, and form issues. Look at GRIVs video #8 I think about holding low, easy fix and not TP.
No one said OP has TP, only conjecture as to what could be an issue.Mathew zebra bow string material is BCY x-452 that BCY claims is 100% stable.No creep,i would not say its not the best but far from the worst bow string as peep rotation is usually caused by string elongation. Having to align peep every shot was a disruption in his shot sequence
and troubling would'nt you think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts