Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Boy Scout Troop is planning a trip to Isle Royale in late June. The group of boys we are taking are very active fishermen that love eating fish! From what I have read, it is a great time and lots of fish to be had. It sounds like it really doesn't matter what you throw at them; spinners with plastic twisters, crankbaits, Mepps, etc., you are bound to pick up something. I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge of the island and can share some of their knowledge.

Thank you,

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Our Boy Scout Troop is planning a trip to Isle Royale in late June. The group of boys we are taking are very active fishermen that love eating fish! From what I have read, it is a great time and lots of fish to be had. It sounds like it really doesn't matter what you throw at them; spinners with plastic twisters, crankbaits, Mepps, etc., you are bound to pick up something. I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge of the island and can share some of their knowledge.

Thank you,
I would suggest that you also post this in the Upper Peninsula forum as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last time I was on the Island was July 2012 with a group of 5 dads and 5 boys (8-10 yrs) at the time. We paddled and portaged from Chippewa harbor to McCargoe cove over 8 days. Used a water taxi to drop us off and pick us up at the harbor docks. Lake trout, monster pike, and coaster brook can be caught on the big water (see fishing 411 you tube video). All of the lakes have a ton of pike and perch. Lake Whitelesy if full of walleye south shore along the steep cliffs. Lake Ritchie has some big Pike and walleye as well south bay is very productive (40+ pike days are regular). Chicken bone lake has a lot of perch and walleye most caught on the north shore in the middle east and west. My go to for pike is a spinner bait. Walleye would be a mister twister w paddle tail. Inland lake water is stained so sound / vibration is critical. lots of reeds. No mepps or open treble hooks on inland lakes, just going to bet snagged up unless your fishing the clear water of superior where body baits are great. Blade bait would be a great choice for vertical jigging while drifting or cast and retreive for walleye in the deeper holes. I currently have a trip planned this year late june through early july. Similar trip starting at Chippewa harbor ending at Chippewa harbor. Chippewa to ritchie to intermediate to siskwit to wood to whittlesey to chippewa. 8 days. Myself and 4 of my sons buddies (17 yrs). Fishing the shore is full of leaches, some wear womens panty hose to keep them off. light weight and works. Leeches are everywhere. Those young men are going to have a trip of a lifetime!

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Put 10% of your planning time into a backup plan if there are COVID related restrictions for getting there and staying there like last year.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Last time I was on the Island was July 2012 with a group of 5 dads and 5 boys (8-10 yrs) at the time. We paddled and portaged from Chippewa harbor to McCargoe cove over 8 days. Used a water taxi to drop us off and pick us up at the harbor docks. Lake trout, monster pike, and coaster brook can be caught on the big water (see fishing 411 you tube video). All of the lakes have a ton of pike and perch. Lake Whitelesy if full of walleye south shore along the steep cliffs. Lake Ritchie has some big Pike and walleye as well south bay is very productive (40+ pike days are regular). Chicken bone lake has a lot of perch and walleye most caught on the north shore in the middle east and west. My go to for pike is a spinner bait. Walleye would be a mister twister w paddle tail. Inland lake water is stained so sound / vibration is critical. lots of reeds. No mepps or open treble hooks on inland lakes, just going to bet snagged up unless your fishing the clear water of superior where body baits are great. Blade bait would be a great choice for vertical jigging while drifting or cast and retreive for walleye in the deeper holes. I currently have a trip planned this year late june through early july. Similar trip starting at Chippewa harbor ending at Chippewa harbor. Chippewa to ritchie to intermediate to siskwit to wood to whittlesey to chippewa. 8 days. Myself and 4 of my sons buddies (17 yrs). Fishing the shore is full of leaches, some wear womens panty hose to keep them off. light weight and works. Leeches are everywhere. Those young men are going to have a trip of a lifetime!
Great report! You like me love to share information so that everyone can enjoy the resource. Too many, so called "sportsmen/ladies" are tight lipped and get aggravated when information is shared.
Wife and I are in the preliminary stage of planning a trip there. Might PM you for information about lodging and shore fishing opportunities.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Another thing that you need to plan for is bugs. Black flies and mosquitoes will be thick. Permitherin will keep them from biting through your clothes . Head nets and bug dope are required.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Damb good advice Looker. Wash clothes in permitherin as well as the old turkey hunter trick of laying your clothing out, spraying them down, then sealing it in a garbage back to soak overnight for treatment. Black flies and skeet numbers are totally dependant on rainfall days prior. It's hit or miss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts