Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I'm planning a 10 night trip to Isle Royale and plan on flying into Windigo and ending up in Rock Harbor in early September. Plan was to do the Feldtmann loop then up across the north part of the island on the Minong and dropping down on Greenstone to fish the eastern end pretty hard. Yes, I'm aware its 70 miles. :lol:

Can anyone give any tips on fishing on the island? Due to the length of the trip I am not planning on bringing my float tube or waders, but would wet wade or shore fish.

Are most of the inland lakes overgrown with brush or is shore fishing even possible? Pike? Smallies? Perch? Walleye (aka can I plan on a meal or two on the trail via mother nature)?

Any other tips or tricks you'd be willing to share?

PMs appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
414 Posts
just saw your post. was hiking royale in 2000 great time . are you alone or a big group. there are large group sites need to reserve them firswt come first served on others. shelters are also reserved. lakes are mostly overgrown and full of leaches great fishing though we had met someone with a canoe they let us use. packout what you bring in. weather is always changing and ditates if you can have a fire or not. bring a camera,moose aplenty. great place to get away, didnot see tons of other hikers but did run into 1 or 2 groups per day have fun

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going solo on this, like I usually do. I make it a goal to actually pack out a little more then I brought to make up for the few who left something behind.

Did you hike across or mainly stick to one end?

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,135 Posts
we did the same trip along the Greenstone but in 7 days (10 is much better!) and we went during a record heat wave

fishing is possible - but better if you can wade out to cast deeper

note- the first 2 days out of windigo = zero water
(we had to hit the Beam & Jack !)

watch out for moose - they MEAN it when warn you about them

avoid the big public camps that draw the boating crowd.

I would never go back without my bug jacket

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been to IR 10 times. The Minong Ridge is great. If your backpacking in late July / early August you will have a tough time fishing from shore. The fishing on the island is pretty good, lots of pike and walleye

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hit send accidentally. If you are really want to fish more than hike, I would take a kayak and do the Lake Ritchie loop. Intermediate is loaded with 20"" pike. Our record is 11 fish on 11 casts. Don't use treble hooks, to much work. Siskiwit has trout and larger pike. Ritchie is my favorite. You can make lots of friends feeding other campers fresh fish. I have hiked and canoed the island and enjoyed both, but I prefer the canoeing. You can still do some day hikes if you want to get up on the Minong. The water taxis and boats are a great way to get around the island. I did the same hike your doing about 20 years ago and loved it. Enjoy!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
848 Posts
Been dreaming of going to Isle Royale and camping for 20+ years now. Almost made it there back in 1987, fell through. My friend and his two sons camped there and did some kayaking a couple weeks back, they did 50 miles of the islands shoreline. he mentioned many of the campsites were taken, they had to keep paddling till they found an empty site.

One of these days I'll make it to Isle Royale. Its on the "bucket list".

Hope you have a great, safe trip. Take some pics and post.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I requested and was approved for a back country permit so I'll most likely avoid any of the established camp sites.

I flyin on the morning of Sept 1 and fly out the afternoon of the 12th so I guess its more like 11 nights. From what I understand that is right near the rut for the moose on the island so I'll keep a watch out.

Plan is to fly into Windigo, run south and do the Fedtman Lake loop and either hike north off the Greenstone past Lake Delsor and onto the Minong headed towards Rock Harbor. (Still trying to find out if crossing between both trails is doable). If not, I'll go back into Windigo and then take the Minong east and drop down around Chickenbone and head towards Rock Harbor fishing anything I can find.

I really wish I could make a float tube and flippers work, but it just adds too much weight for the length of the trip.

I promise to learn how to post pics when I get back and share some here.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trip is coming up in just a few more weeks. Any last minute tips of advice?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 weeks to go..almost to the day. Any other feedback?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you are going there with the intention of backpacking first and enjoying some fishing second, you will be fine. If it's the other way around, you're going to be disappointed. The fishing from shore is limited. I'd suggest you stay north and fish the bays/coves of Lake Superior. Be mindful of the one night stay at Rock Harbor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you are going there with the intention of backpacking first and enjoying some fishing second, you will be fine. If it's the other way around, you're going to be disappointed. The fishing from shore is limited. I'd suggest you stay north and fish the bays/coves of Lake Superior. Be mindful of the one night stay at Rock Harbor.

What he said!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to go to get away from work, and people in genera, l and this is the medium to do it. Part of why I am going up on Labor Day weekend and hking the more remote parts of the island. Hiking is first on this trip but it would be great to end each possible day around one of the inland lakes. I was granted a backcountry permit so I'm mindful of any stay in any area over 1 night and plan to not stay in any designated areas unless I had to.

Thanks for all of the tips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts