Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting as of today I am beginning a project to restore my 1985 StarCraft Islander. My gameplan is to replace the floor, transom, foam lining, and seating. I already have the inside of the boat gutted out and the old transom removed. Any tips, suggestions, and/or pointers... would be greatly appreciated thank you. this is my first boat project.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I once thought about restoring the '84 221V I had (decided to go back to a glass boat instead) and I found a lot of useful information including many different threads on iboats.com, many detailing exactly what you have in mind. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
29,817 Posts
Starting as of today I am beginning a project to restore my 1985 StarCraft Islander. My gameplan is to replace the floor, transom, foam lining, and seating. I already have the inside of the boat gutted out and the old transom removed. Any tips, suggestions, and/or pointers... would be greatly appreciated thank you. this is my first boat project.

Alot of great info on the Iboat site. Here's a good thread with others on same forums..... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=427003

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Wooden Boat Forum had a recent posting regarding the transom replacement on an Alum. Boat, had a few Key Points to consider, especially if it's an Outboard Motor. It was in the Building/Repair Section. Use the search feature to find it. It's worth the time to read it.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Building-Repair
G'Luck,

Dorf

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
You will have a lot of fun with this project. Like others have said, Iboats will have a ton of useful information for you. I bought a Starcraft at the end of last year and have been working on it since. I was fortunate that inside was in great shape so I haven't had to do a lot with it but I have restored the whole outside of the boat.

Here is what the boat looked like when I bought it.
starcraft 4.jpg

Here is what I have done on it so far.
starcraft 7.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Might want to consider working in the engine compartment first. A flashy boat with new carpet wont look good sitting at the dock with motor troubles. I do love islanders and would hate to see that...

·
Registered
204 Posts
DO NOT use treated lumber to replace the wood!! The copper compounds used to treat the wood will cause a galvanic action with the aluminum, and result in corrosion and holes in the metal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
YES YES YES ON THE TREATED LUMBER STATEMENT.

AND TEN THUMBS UP FOR iBOATS. Unless you have done a couple rebuilds I would get on there and start a thread.

Have fun and good luck. I love Islanders.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the input i am using marine grade wood for the transum and the floor the motor is an old iron duke the boat was my dads motor ran 4-5 years ago and was winterized be for being put up. starting tomorow i am building the transum 2 sheets 3/4 plywood glued with 5200 then cut out the transum and coat with fiberclass resin. will start haveing pic to show progress. cant what wait to get this going had so many good times in this boat as a kid its going to take lots of time and work but it will be worth it. so keep the pointers and the ideas coming thanks for the help

·
Registered
272 Posts
I used west system epoxy on my floor, three coats on all sides. I over drilled all of the holes and then coated with the epoxy, then re-drilled them to the right size so they are completely sealed up. Takes a little more time planing, and laying out but worth doing.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
i have a 1988 islander for sale the boat runs awsome the only problom is the belows leak and the transom has some soft spots. good luck with your project u will enjoy it when it is done.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Bout time bro !!! Cant wait to get out in it!! Ill give you a call soon

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks hogeye cant waight for the kings on the west side. thats what i am looking for. end of july august put it together right and ill have a boat for 20 years. let me know what going on up there ill come up and say hi

·
Registered
14 Posts
Save yourself some heartache and go to iboats.com. Ask them about every step of your project. Lots of experts there and they are willing to help. You can look at other Islander projects just like yours and they have made all the listakes already (so you dont have to).

Dont use fiberglass resin on your ply (transom or flooring). It is too brittle and will crack and then let water in.

USE US COMPOSITES EPOXY.

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I am looking at buying a 22' islander and was wondering how they fish, do they ride rough and how bad is the leaking guys talk about?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I Have a 1984 22' Islander. The layout for fishing works really good for the type of fishing that i do, mostly trolling the bay with inline planer boards. 3 to 4 people fit comfortably. The ride is not bad on any days that the bay is calm enough to fish. The ride gets a little harsh when the waves get bigger but at that point it is no longer enjoyable to fish anyway. I have heard of problems with leaky rivets but mine is 28 years old and only get 1 or 2 gallons of water in the bilge after 4 to 6 hours of fishing

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey Max how is it going?

Questions for you guys I just became a proud owner of a 22 footer. I have a couple of questions also. I will be in the market for a GPS ,any brands better than others? And where could one find a working wiper motor ? (other than in your driveway max):evil:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts