Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Natural Resources Commission meeting adjourned at 6:50 p.m. on Thursday, January 8, 2004 and reconvened at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, January 9, 2004. Commissioner Parfet returned for this portion of the meeting.

DIRECTOR'S REPORT
Island Lake Shooting Range Update

Director Cool presented an update on the Island Lake Shooting Range. The original shooting range plans were developed for a location that was eventually not selected; however, the plans for the original range and for the current range were similar except the current plan included an additional $250,000 for sound abatement. To address the noise complaints from the residents near the shooting range, the DNR is bringing in a noise expert who will evaluate the noise levels and make recommendations on addressing any issues that arise. This individual will test the shooting range prior to the February 2004 NRC meeting. Lead testing from the site has been done and the DNR is awaiting results from those tests.

Director Cool said that Scott Hansen, Textron Systems, will likely be selected to conduct noise testing. He will utilize the best scientific expertise to evaluate the issue and provide recommendations for solutions. Director Cool stated that the DNR wants to be good neighbors. Mr. Hansen is deemed one of the best sound engineers in the nation.

Commissioner Parfet recognizes the need for safe ranges but said there will be noise from ranges. He said there are four options for solutions: 1) Close the range; 2) Pay the impacted parties; 3) Try again to influence their opinion on the range; 4) Remediate the problem. However, the DNR cannot close the facility, and cannot totally remediate concerns. So, the DNR will either have to pay the parties, or get involved in a solution.

Commissioner Garner noted that the testimony received regarding the Island Lake Shooting Range on Thursday was much more constructive. Commissioner Madigan agreed and said that resolution to the concerns needs to occur soon. Commissioner Wheatlake believes there is a constructive means to resolve the issue. Discussion ensued.

Director Cool discussed the letter written by then Parks and Recreation Division Chief, Rodney Stokes. The letter stated that the DNR would meet ordinances in relation to Interstate ambient noise levels. The new sound testing will be done at various points. He believes that reasonable options can be developed followed by a request for funding to make those resolutions a reality. He stated that, when this range was built, it was done with the thought that it would be state-of-the-art and assist in a public acceptance level which would support building other ranges.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'm sorry but this topic is total crap. If these people were SO concerned w/the noise of a gun range then why the hell did they choose to live next to a busy highway i.e. 96????????????

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly right CMR. There is total hypocrisy with all of these landuse issues from hunting, shooting, to urban sprawl vs. agriculture.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a feeling that if the residents even hear a pin drop from that direction they will still complain. So my guess is after the money is spent they will still not be satisfied. How can you even hear the shots over the highway noise?

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I just can't believe anyone can hear anything from that range, especially if they live on the otherside of 96. First off it's in a hole, then they have 30 foot berms on top of that, then there's the constant roar coming from I-96. I think someone is just a gun hater on this one.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
From what I understand, the residents are complaining about the new addition, not the target range. They added a sporting clays range that is getting all the flak.
If these people were SO concerned w/the noise of a gun range then why the hell did they choose to live next to a busy highway i.e. 96?
Hmmmm...For the same reason people buy a five bedroom house near the airport for a nickle then complain about air traffic? :D :p :D

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I do not know the area in question. I am wondering how close the people live to the range and how close are they living to 96? I lived less than 100 yards from 96 in Nunica and after a week, i didnt notice hte sound at all. Now, we bought a house 8 miles from 31 and 2 miles from a gun club :) I love hearing the shots ring on Wednesdays and Sundays :) I was surprised that I could hear them clearly from that far away. It is shotguns only......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does the Island Lake Range have a website? I would like to get up there again and don't know their hours.

Reading some of the quotes from the newpaper article made me laugh. Seemed to me that it is an anti-gun movement veiled as a noise complaint.

I hope they can work things out because it is getting difficult to find a place to shoot clays in the SE Michigan area.

I would be gad to hear of some good places to go.

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just answered my own question. The sporting clays are open every day except Tuesday from 10 to 4:30. Actually 10 to 6 but you can't start the sporting clays after 430.

Weeeee-hoooo can't wait to run a bit of lead through the barrels.

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts