Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fly fish the huron through Island Lake rec area out in Brighton?

I mtn bike out there alot and the trail passes/crosses the river in a couple places and it always looks appealing.

where are the decent access/parking areas near the river and are there any places in that stretch that are not worth fishing etc. just looking to fish, dont care what I catch, lol

Thanks
J-

·
Banned
309 Posts
I fished that stretch before - caught a bunch of small to middlin smallies. We fished in the evening with deer hair mice and did real well. Lots of fun to watch those bass do their shark imitation...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fished that stretch before - caught a bunch of small to middlin smallies. We fished in the evening with deer hair mice and did real well. Lots of fun to watch those bass do their shark imitation...
cool thanks, wheres the best place to park/access the river?

J-

·
Registered
388 Posts
At Kent lake, go straight at the entrance follow the road, you'll see the dam

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Anyone fly fish the huron through Island Lake rec area out in Brighton?

I mtn bike out there alot and the trail passes/crosses the river in a couple places and it always looks appealing.

where are the decent access/parking areas near the river and are there any places in that stretch that are not worth fishing etc. just looking to fish, dont care what I catch, lol

Thanks
J-

Just look at the map of Brighton Rec Area and you can fish from pretty much anywhere the road or bike trails cross or approach the river. I kayak that stretch occasionally and there are some nice sized Smallies and some surprisingly big Largemouth as well. Lot's of river darters, Rock Bass, Carp and the occasional Dogfish, Northern Pike and Gar Pike.

Check out the Google Maps aerial pictures and it'll give you a better idea of the areas to target. That area changes drastically depending on the amount of rain we have had and earlier this year it was as low as I have ever seen it. The fish were concentrated into the deep runs and holes and it made for some awesome fishing. :fish:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just go to the lake. To the left of it is where the river picks back up. Down stream you will get gills and rock bass. Throw on a foam beetle and have fun

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Just go to the lake. To the left of it is where the river picks back up. Down stream you will get gills and rock bass. Throw on a foam beetle and have fun

Do you mean below the damn? Saying "left of the lake" is relative to the direction you are facing. If so, is that area wadable?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info guys

J-

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you mean below the damn? Saying "left of the lake" is relative to the direction you are facing. If so, is that area wadable?
Yes. Just below the dam it goes from ankle to balls deep. Just fish the deeper areas where they are chillin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts