Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Your Boat Ready??

Have you checked out your boat yet for this year?

1. Safety Equipment?
2. Egine tune-up and Batteries?
3. Navigation Equip?
4. Fishing Equipment upgrades?
5. Trailer Maintenance?
6. Trailer Lights?
7. More Fishing Upgrades?
8. Trailer License Plate, new requirement?
9. Fishing License?
10. Good Luck and be Safe to All this year!!

Bob______

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Ed that is a very good point

My birthday is in Oct, and I usually don't use the boat and I got a new perm plate and hasn't even been bolted to the trailer yet, I'm selling the boat and it is non transferable from trailer or owner to owner. Its New plate! I should sell it !

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Keep the registration handy with ya when you fish/for the ride home . I think the lic. plate will be a hot theft item this summer
Thanks for the "heads up" Ed. Been thinking that myself.

I'm going to attache mine with something a little more then just a nut/bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I have lost a few at St. Jeans Ramp,finally starting attaching plate directly to transom of boat ,don"t know if that is considered improper display of plate though.On the way there the neighbor
hoods would try to steal rods and tackle boxes out of boat when at a red light,lesson learned- I quit stopping at red lights & stop signs if no other cars espesically DPD. I haven't fished there in years,worlds worst ramp.Great access spot though.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
The new trailer plate is non transferable so if you are selling your trailer the plate stays with you. Put it on you next trailer.

I had always bought 1/2 year plates, they were only 8 dollars rather then 17 for a full year plate. The new plate is 75 dollars. Thats 10 years to break even. I would not mind the increase all that much if we were getting something for it. Like every other increase its just more money for the idiots in lansing
waste. I doubt if there is anybody who can give a legitamite reason for the increase. Or explain where the money is going other then the general fund.
Does anyone know the cost of a replacement plate?
if your plate gets stole or becomes unuseable.

I mount my plate on the transom of my boat and I have never had a ticket for no plate on my trailer.I also have a light that I put above the plate at night so it can be seen in the dark.

I think the you would have to be towing trailer to be ticketed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got the bad news the other day. Went into the S.O.S. with $50 and no check book hoping to pickup a 3-month tag and renew my license. Needless to say, had to return the next day with the check book. In the longrun, it'll save me the aggrivation of getting one twice a year but the cost was HEAVY, I wasn't able to fish my boat on Friday.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yeah this was a rough year shelling out $225 bucks for 3 trailers. I sent a letter to State Senator Johnson who proposed the bill and is in charge of the Appropriations Committtee (I think that's the committee). I know the state budget is hard up this year, but I think they've done a lot to discourage Michigan tourism and hunting and fishing lately, ie: Mac Bridge fare increases, higher sin taxes, and others. Combined with the high gas prices we're gonna have this summer, I've got to believe tourism will be down this year.

Oh well, as long as they stick to what they are saying...plates are good for a lifetime. I can live with that. If they want us to start paying for an additional sticker to go on it in a few years...:mad:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't mind paying the $75 dollar's for the boat trailer to alleviate the hassle of getting new tabs every year.

What bothers me is paying $200.00 for my 5th wheel plate that I don't know if I'm gonna keep much longer.

Any trailer over 2,499 pounds will cost ya $200. So $75 kinda sounds like a deal.:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts