Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal for farmers that pull a hunting permit to lower deer population to just shoot and kill them without claiming the deer. Like gut shot and letting them run and die, or letting them lay dead. Completly wrong in my book. I havent been seeing even close to the amount of deer that I normally do. Come to find out a farmer that has land 1/2 mile away has been doing the above.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Not legal,but it does happen.If I had my way,there would be no crop damage permits unless the land owner enrolled in the hunter access program.

·
Super Moderator
6,910 Posts
actually i believe in mi its perfectly legal. ethical no.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
:yeahthat:.Alot ride around on there tractors and shoot them on sight.Gut shot then let them run off and die :(.But its there land so not much can be said.Mich

·
Registered
333 Posts
i could be wrong, but as far as i know, i though the farm agriculture tags had to be filled and deer had to be recovered and eaten...also the tags or registration of the deer had to happen within 24 hours of the kill...not sure exactly what type of tag this regulation is for, but i read a link to the documented rules thats told me these facts..look pack a few pages and see if use a similar topic

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is complete bull crap, and it makes me mad cause people do that kind of stuff! No matter what the law is, its wrong in my book and something should be done about it. But i better stop there, acording to some law dogs we have on the MS message boards i have no law enforcement authority, and i cant give advice or state my opinion. Good look taking care of that proplem...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Let me tell you this....most farmers enjoy hunting, on the other hand they also make a living by working the land. Take a leelanau county cherry farmer for instance. A cherry farmer might plant thousands of new young trees each spring at $50.00 a tree. In order to get a return on the investment the tree needs to grow to producing age. Imagine what it might feel like when you go to your orchard and see 10 new young trees snapped in half each morning, add this up over the summer and you could be looking at thousands of dollars in damage and loss of trees that equates to a loss in future profits. DON'T HATE WHAT THE FARMER IS DOING...ITS HIS LIVELIHOOD. I agree, it sucks, but it's the reality of the situation and I can tell you that you would do the same thing. And most farmers will try many other techniques for reducing crop damage before shooting deer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Let me tell you this....most farmers enjoy hunting, on the other hand they also make a living by working the land. Take a leelanau county cherry farmer for instance. A cherry farmer might plant thousands of new young trees each spring at $50.00 a tree. In order to get a return on the investment the tree needs to grow to producing age. Imagine what it might feel like when you go to your orchard and see 10 new young trees snapped in half each morning, add this up over the summer and you could be looking at thousands of dollars in damage and loss of trees that equates to a loss in future profits. DON'T HATE WHAT THE FARMER IS DOING...ITS HIS LIVELIHOOD. I agree, it sucks, but it's the reality of the situation and I can tell you that you would do the same thing. And most farmers will try many other techniques for reducing crop damage before shooting deer.
Maybe the farmer should let people hunt his land, I agree that if your trying to make a living and the deer are basically taking money out of your pocket, there is a problem, but NO ONE should kill something just to kill it, there are other ways to deal with a deer problem then shooting them and letting them lay. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I agree, it sucks, but it's the reality of the situation and I can tell you that you would do the same thing. And most farmers will try many other techniques for reducing crop damage before shooting deer.
I don't think it's an issue of the farmer shooting the deer, but an issue of ethics when it comes to wasted meat and shot placemen't. No doubt the meat would be better donated to hunters for the hungry or a similar program. As far as shot placement, it is my belief every person should strive for a quick clean kill even if they do not intend to retrieve the animal as in this case..

I agree, more deer need to be killed here in southern michigan, especially does in order to effectively reduce the population to healthy numbers. I've seen first hand some of the damage done by deer to agricultural areas and understand the need to issue damage permits, but would like to see HAP practiced more often as a first resort rather than a seldom used solution.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Here is another perspective to consider:

Dead is dead - if the deer is eaten or not and nature has a way of taking care of those deer. Individual ethics are just that. I think ethics gets blurred with personal desire and selfishness in these situations. If it were rats or even racoons most would not think twice about it but when it comes to deer people get all uptight about it because of their own desire to get them(translate: kill the deer themselves) I am not for or against it at all and agree with the above statement that if your livelyhood was being decimated you would do it too. Another area where people and ethics get fuzzy is small game vs. big game. Most don't think twice about taking running bow shots at rabbits but talk about shooting at a running deer on one of these forums and it becomes a huge ethics debate with tons of bashing.
I am not pro or con, but I do understand and I believe individuals are exercizing their individual selfish desire to have more deer to kill when these debates are discussed.
How many have popped a few rabbits out of their garden mid summer to save those precious pepper plants? Did you eat them? Did you even think twice? Why is it that the size of the animal dictates the level of respect or value.
Just another viewpoint - Bob Urban

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thats letting alot of meat go to waste that could feed alot of hungry people. Too bad they don't tag it and give it to hunters for hungry.

As far as the bunnys in the garden, thats what the fence is for! ;)

If they shoot and don't try to obtain and tag the deer, isn't that illegal?

·
Super Moderator
6,910 Posts
If they shoot and don't try to obtain and tag the deer, isn't that illegal?
not in mi. mi does not have a wanton waste law for anything other than waterfowl.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts

Its the cost of doing business if the farmer is too stupid to not fence his sapling trees then he gets what he getss. I am tired of the crying and whining from the farmers these days. They get paid not to plant, they get tags for crop damage that isn't even done by the deer, they shoot shovel and shut up, they deny access to anyone wanting to hunt ethically and then you hear this garbage. You are a farmer in the state of Michigan, if you grow crops there are a lot of deer here that may eat some. Deal with it in an ethical manner! I am with the poster above there should be no crop damage permits allowed to these farmers if they want the deer gone there are plenty of ethical by the book sportsmen who will help out.

Ganzer

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
It is not legal for a person to kill a deer and not tag it, including under a "crop damage" (summer kill) permit. Complaints generally come from people that live near farmers that are allegedly "gut-shooting" deer and letting them run. It is unethical (under any definition) to shoot at or injure or kill an animal and not make an attempt to retrieve it. By not doing that you are adding fuel to the fire for anti-hunters. If you hunt and shoot an animal and make no attempt to retrieve it you are no hunter, you are a slob. :mad:

The appropriate place for this thread is on the legal questions forum.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Not legal,but it does happen.If I had my way,there would be no crop damage permits unless the land owner enrolled in the hunter access program.
I couldn't agree more. These are usually the same people that won't let anyone hunt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went to school with a farmer who hated the deer so I asked if I could hunt on his property since no one bow hunted, and as soon as I started seeing deer he kicked me off. Crazy darn farmers.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'll leave the legality of it to those that know better.

Many of the comments are directed at the ethics of this. Sportsman ethics do not come into play in these situations. To many farmers, especially those that do not hunt, deer are like rats-simply large varmints that destroy their crops and have a negative impact on their livelyhood. They are not shooting them under any definition of sport or fairness to the game. They are not taking the antlers and hanging them on the wall. Buck,doe,fawn. If its a deer and its in their field eating, its all the same to them. I'm not saying I agree with the gut-shot and let it run method, but i dont make my living off the land like he does. A dead deer is a dead deer and i can empathise with their approach.

Not pointing any fingers, but in my opinion, these arguments are typically fueled by people that aren't seeing enough deer, and blame the farmers for shooting "their" deer. Would they feel better if the farmer only shot does and left all the mature bucks around for them to shoot (or try) later in the season.

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
Controlling the population is the purpose for hunting......If the hunters in the area did a better job of it, the famer would not have to resort to such methods.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts