Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple buddies and I got out this morning and were excited by the "ducky" weather. Went to a spot where we havent seen less than 30 ducks yet this season (getting them to do what we want is another story). Hunted the morning in pouring rain and and strong winds and didnt even see a single duck anywhere. Can the weather be too bad for ducks to move?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yep, it sure can be too nasty for the birds.

I was out in a true downpour a few years back (you could've showered it rained so hard) and we picked up to head in when it started.

As we motored out of the marsh birds in front of us would not take off at all in the rain; they just swam into the vegetation to avoid us.

Since then I have had one hunt in jard rain that was good; but that was only for about an hour and the flight was done for the morning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same thing happened to us this morning. Great spot scouted several times with 10 to 40 est. ducks everytime. Had a decent 1/2 hr. @ 8 then nothing.... I'd rather be duck hunting in the rain rather then working in it thou.:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
YEP -- and yesterday was IT!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
didn't hunt in the morning, but last night was pretty bad and there was still some ducks moving. course the rain had lightened up a bit where i was by then. the bigger issue seems to be that there aren't any ducks in the area to begin with.:p

·
Registered
226 Posts
We were real excited with the ducky weather this morning. We had 7 mallards come of the roost before shoot time then we saw four geese. The only thing that was flying were thousands of sand hill cranes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Steady rain is the WORST weather to hunt in, birds do not move in it for many reasons. It is a complete waste of time, it took many wasted days (doubting my Dad when I was young) to figure it out for myself.

Intermittent rain can be the best weather if the birds are in and its cold getting colder, they all get up in between showers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, sorry to hear that everyone had bad luck, but at the same time, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I was wondering the very same thing yesterday morning. I set up where we usually see at least some birds every time. Proceeded to lay in a muddy field for 2 hours without seeing a single thing.

I guess yesterday defined "too crappy of weather" and the next time I wake up to see that, I'm going right back to bed!

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Steady rain is the WORST weather to hunt in, birds do not move in it for many reasons. It is a complete waste of time, it took many wasted days (doubting my Dad when I was young) to figure it out for myself.

Intermittent rain can be the best weather if the birds are in and its cold getting colder, they all get up in between showers.
This pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Fishmaster, I would consider today too crappy of weathe for duck hunting since your neighbor lost a tree with this wind.

Redneckman

·
Registered
457 Posts

haha, i woke up friday morn. and could hear the rain from bed. i was hoping my dad wasnt gonna show!! sure enough tho i see headlights pulling in. went to the draw, got a for sure crap draw. asked him " how bad do u wanna hunt?" he says, " not real bad, but........." so i took a zone. lets just say that i gained 20 lbs. in 10 mins. lol. should of went back to bed. he wanted to go, even knowing better, but he hasnt got to hunt much this year. he will tho, getting laid off next week. just for the week tho.. bummer!!!LOL
by the way, we shot twice, one bird.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Certain species will fly in really windy conditions such as Sat. We found protected water near big water and shot 3 Cans...... We probly saw 400-500 in all, in groups of 5-30 just making laps around our area.... was a cool thing to see..... on friday also shot a triple curl mallard drake thats going to taxi...... but that was it for the weekend......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts