Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Is there hope?

4599 Views 31 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  deagansdad1
Looks like some cold weather(if ya can believe the weatherman) starting the 29th. Got a trip planned Feb 18th. Any chance she will tighten up by then?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
I'm getting ready to order a propane fill. Every time I do my mid winter refill we always have nasty cold weather hit.
I know this because they can't get their truck up my driveway and we end up almost running out. Happens every year. No matter how I try to time it. So yah probably fixin to get nasty. Least for a few weeks. Think I got enough to make it 4. At 30% right now.
It'll make ice, I would like to see a week of closer to zero at night though. It is real close to freezing now, even the one night it got to 23 or so it skimmed the entire bay over. Get that and no wind for a couple days and it just may happen
You guys that fish the Bay all know that even when the ice locks up and everyone says it's safe, it's never really safe. At least the last handful of years anyway. Wind is the main factor of safe or unsafe Bay ice. Be safe on Saginaw Bay this year if it does lock up and gets guys out. If nothing else, it'll look safer than it is. Could be surprised and get some single digit lows for a couple weeks and it will be good to go. Fingers crossed.
You should be good to go for your trip on the 18th.....cuz I head south the 17th, and for the past two years the bay ice has formed the week I head south (and melts when we return[emoji849]🤦‍♂️) I’d be very surprised if it forms before that though....[emoji35][emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I would think you should be good by then, probably be quite a few out shallow water perching this weekend.
And the walleye grounds weekend after.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I would think you should be good by then, probably be quite a few out shallow water perching this weekend.
Reactions: Pikestabber93
Yea probably, I have also seen eyes in 3fow pike spearing/perching. One time I had one keep coming into the hole and repeatedly miss my jig even if I held it still. That was frustrating.
And the walleye grounds weekend after.

Ya, really don’t care if we get out to the “plug” or 1 mile out for perch. Just need to drill some ice.
Yea probably, I have also seen eyes in 3fow pike spearing/perching. One time I had one keep coming into the hole and repeatedly miss my jig even if I held it still. That was frustrating.
As I understand it the shipping channel is still open…..
I got a new Stryker auger that I haven’t tried yet. I’ll accept the blame for this lack of ice.
Studded the track on the Indy. Ready for a 6 mile run. You’re not the only one that feels like a jinx.
I got a new Stryker auger that I haven’t tried yet. I’ll accept the blame for this lack of ice.
All I did was change the line on my kids Piscifun spinning reel. Geesh Mother Nature sure was touchy this winter...
…good thing I didn’t end up buying that new Livescope [emoji51]. We’d really be screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Studded the track on the Indy. Ready for a 6 mile run. You’re not the only one that feels like a jinx.
Get all that new crap polished up for next weekend boys. Pray that the wind gods are good to us this week.

I will take some blame. I have never fished Saginaw bay ice fishing. I have a buddy and his family does and he has bugged me about going last couple years and l have all the gear because we have ice fished Erie in the past. So l bought an enclosed trailer for hauling everything. My buddy isn't happy with me for jinxing ice fishing :giggle:
  • Haha
Reactions: BFG and Erik
You’d never regret a panoptix purchase for ice fishing. Got one a couple years ago, absolutely love it.
…good thing I didn’t end up buying that new Livescope [emoji51]. We’d really be screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reactions: TheLionsFan
Guys your good I'm tellin yah. Propane is just above 20%. My driveway is iced over. Ferrelgas says scheduled to deliver between now and Feb 2nd. Usually they come out 3 times before they are finally able to get up the driveway. Salt salt and more salt. Aching back!!! Stressed out hoping we dont run out. Happens every year. Course then after its filled we will get a nice thaw. So you guys are could for at least the next 3 weeks.
Me too….new Vexalar 18 end of last season…has yet to see ice!
I will take some blame. I have never fished Saginaw bay ice fishing. I have a buddy and his family does and he has bugged me about going last couple years and l have all the gear because we have ice fished Erie in the past. So l bought an enclosed trailer for hauling everything. My buddy isn't happy with me for jinxing ice fishing :giggle:
Well, I have some bad news. Ferrelgas came sometime today. They were able to get up the driveway and fill my tank. I am happy. But I am sad. This doesn't bode well for any polar vortex's. Never know. Sure feels cold out right now :)
1 - 20 of 32 Posts