Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a variety of the floatants, some dry and some wet, but never really had good success with them. Is there some out there that genuinely work?

·
Super Moderator
6,143 Posts
Feel free to try this out:

I may try this and substitute beeswax for paraffin.

I would use Gink if you want to buy something.

There used to be stuff called Clear Fly that worked pretty well.

Also, Frog's Fanny? I can't remember. :idea:

Sometimes it's better to have flies stuck in the surface film rather than riding too high... food for thought.

·
Premium Member
17,723 Posts
Might want to look at fly body material. I use a lot of foam and deer hair for quite a few of my dryflys. A Roberts Drake pattern from size 16-6 is my standard pattern. Floats well.

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
Gink or Loon works for me. But what I find works best for me is drying a towel and then using the shake and bake dust. I found a seller on eBay that sells the dust in a bulk size for cheap, just refill your shaker. Umpqua makes a nice little dry towel for under $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
462 Posts
Gink or Loon works for me. But what I find works best for me is drying a towel and then using the shake and bake dust. I found a seller on eBay that sells the dust in a bulk size for cheap, just refill your shaker. Umpqua makes a nice little dry towel for under $10.

I did a search on flea bay for desiccant but didn’t really come up with what I think I’ld be after. Any help appreciated....

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
I did a search on flea bay for desiccant but didn’t really come up with what I think I’ld be after. Any help appreciated....
This is what I bought. This container should last me multiple years. I fill up five containers and it barely made a dent.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Electric blue Transparency

·
Registered
462 Posts
My bench is a disaster now - can’t imagine trying to find room for yet another bottle of stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts