Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, realize that I no longer live in Michigan. My wife and I moved to Minnesota last January.

I have been following a couple of threads on this forum about pheasants and pheasant hunting.

I recall just two years ago that threads on this forum about pheasant hunting had titles like: "Does Anybody Still Pheasant Hunt?"

With the controversial release program and some success of the Michigan Pheasant Restoration Initiative, interest, at least on this site seems to be up. If true, that is wonderful.

Two questions:

Is interest in pheasant hunting up this year?

Who is a new pheasant hunter? Welcome!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Interest never went away for me!

Im actually headed for Minnesota in a couple weeks to do a rooster road trip. I want to tour some of the Pheasant Forever restored public land. See what practices are working for them

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interest never went away for me!

Im actually headed for Minnesota in a couple weeks to do a rooster road trip. I want to tour some of the Pheasant Forever restored public land. See what practices are working for them
Where in Minnesota do you intend to hunt?

The season here opened on October 12. I have been hunting within an hour drive of Rochester. Been having a ball. Crop harvest is about 2-3 weeks behind. Best hunting is the last 1.5 hr before sunset right now.

I am heading to NW Iowa for their opener this next weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too am trying to get into it. I’ve always wanted to hunt them hearing my dad talk about the “the good ol’ days” and how there just aren’t any left. I know now that isn’t true and am hoping to get out for my first time this weekend.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I’m back in after at least 15yrs. My dogs and I switched to grouse. As a mid MI resident. It’s just over an hour to get North of Clare. I went out today, 15min from my house. Hank flushed three in 2.5hrs. That’s good enough to keep me interested. I had a blast!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I plan to hunt the South West corner of Minnesota. Pheasant Run One is my first spot. I contacted PF and was given a number of properties that they have done work on.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw probably 50 pheasant hunters on state land Sunday, and saw about two that were less than 50 years old, and they were with older relatives.
I hunted the Minnesota opener on two Federal Waterfowl Production Areas about 25 miles from Austin, MN. Austin hosted the Minnesota Governor's Pheasant Hunt this year. I only saw 2 other hunters. They were well over 1/4 mile away.

It is a lot less crowded than Michigan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have shot 2 pheasants on public land in my 17 years of hunting as 27 yo, mainly as a waterfowl hunter, both came as opportunities at the sga draws, never actually had success in the upland field. Ive lived in berrien co. sw mi the last 6 years and have heard a total of 2 roosters in the mornings.. and im a farm manager, i also scout my butt off for waterfowl and have NEVER seen a pheasant on a road here. I have a 1.5 yo flushing lab(duck dog) that loves to hunt em up at preserves. With saying that, being able to drive 30 minutes to a planted public site, and enjoy an opener, work the dog, and actually kill birds was amazing. I plan to hunt the planted sites throughout the season, and it has given me more thought to hunting other public land more often on trips for ducks to the thumb.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
769 Posts
First, realize that I no longer live in Michigan. My wife and I moved to Minnesota last January.

I have been following a couple of threads on this forum about pheasants and pheasant hunting.

I recall just two years ago that threads on this forum about pheasant hunting had titles like: "Does Anybody Still Pheasant Hunt?"

With the controversial release program and some success of the Michigan Pheasant Restoration Initiative, interest, at least on this site seems to be up. If true, that is wonderful.

Two questions:

Is interest in pheasant hunting up this year?

Who is a new pheasant hunter? Welcome!
since you moved, bet you will miss saginaw bay

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Oh really.

There were quite a few young guys at that Forum get together you seemed to enjoy so much.
Yes really! The two youngest were Matt and Joe I believe that they are in the mid to upper twenties.One person in the picture did not participate.I am always trying to take people out.During this bird hunting season besides the camp I have not seen a single hunter that didn't look to be at least 50 with 16 days afield.
Which also proves hunter recruitment is down which is a known fact.
I offered to take the young folks all the time including this weekend for pheasants but no takers including the kid I took last year in which he took two birds without me shooting at them and then I took one.But a 51 and 57 year old came and hunted this 20th in which one has diabetes and the other a bum knee.
I always get guests young or old on game so that isn't the issue but most of the young guys get tired and slow me down and don't want to go again.
My hunts are stacked with game and I took 5 guys from grouse camp on a spectacular hunt.I can only try my best to pass it on.
My statement was full of truths and some good fun.You did recognize that I made it sound like I was talking about hunting dogs but actually hunters.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I hunted them in Ohio for three years when I lived there in one of the few areas with a wild population. I usually got a couple shots at a rooster a year. Second year I hit but didn't recover one. Third year I finally bagged a bird. A rooster with sharp spurs this is a trophy on my wall equal to the black bear I camped six nights in the wilderness of alaska for. I also got some of their release birds along the way. Always a nice little zoo.

That's why I started hunting grouse and woodcock three years ago and I've also moved to Michigan now. I generally see several birds every time I go out. My dog has gotten much better. I did hunt pheasants in mi i think 2 years ago and flushed a hen. I'd be interested to try again in the future but the alternatives are just better at the moment.

As far as 'younger' hunter at 31 it seems I'm young as far as hunters go!! Only not though. But the birds are so hard to come buy I think I killed three grouse and three woodcock last year. Deer are bigger and probably easier to bag. It's mainly having the dogs that makes it worth it for me. But many young people are still living in town in an apartment. Not easy to train or even keep dogs.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts