Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a great deal on some property with river frontage around the Newberry/ Paradise area but is it even worth doing it. How poor is the deer hunting up in that area? The property is mostly jack pine with some large white pines?

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
I guess my first question would be. How many acres is it? And what is the surrounding property like. Is it public or private land surrounding the property. I own property in Menominee county Only 32 acres but surrounded by thousands of commercial Forrest so I get the best of,both worlds.

·
Registered
18,943 Posts
If you can get there regular. A friend bought land happily in the U.P..
Deer hunting was great for me in the U.P. in different areas and I never killed a deer there.
Hunted them, seen a few and it was special enough to consider them treasured hunts.
There are deer.
Hunting is subject to how hard and where you do it after your homework like other places.
There are pics on Mi. Buck Pole of deer from Luce County.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Check it out. Thre are places up there that are barren wastelands and then there are some pretty decent areas in that county.

·
Registered
19,176 Posts
Did you look at the last few Deer Harvest Reports ? I think that unit has just about the fewest deer killed per square mile in the State. Lots of hunting land for sale in the UP, not surprised you can get a good deal.

L & O

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can get a great deal on some property with river frontage around the Newberry/ Paradise area but is it even worth doing it. How poor is the deer hunting up in that area? The property is mostly jack pine with some large white pines?
Tuff area. My dad has 40 acers north of Newberry and gave up on it 10 years ago. It produced some nice bucks back in the 80's but since has went dead. He purchased property in the Pickford area and now we get bucks every year. If I was buying property in the UP I would buy in Menominee co or in the farm lands of the eastern end.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pass.

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
Guess it all depends on what you re looking for The camp is my main focus after all these years. A kill is secondary now. Good luck

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
The UP has some great properties and some poor properties. Most properties sell at a fraction of what they get below the bridge so what you think is a good deal could be greatly over priced for this market.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I wouldn't buy in the UP just because of the drive alone. For me to get to Newberry, it's at least 6hours from where I am. Leave work at 5 on Friday and roll into camp at midnight after a stop or two? No thanks.

You have to consider the cost of fuel and time getting there, being able to scout, set up stands, and get up there to hunt enough to justify it.

Reactions: kingfisher 11

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
All depends on what you want out of your hunt. If you just have to kill a deer to have a successful hunt and need to see lots of deer to keep you happy then you may want to look below the bridge. On the other hand if you can find the right property and enjoy a peaceful hunt in some beautiful country along with the challenge of hunting the big woods then jump right in. I personally have awesome southern Michigan property and can punch my tags regularly here but I spend my gun seasons in the western UP because to me that is deer hunting at it's best. Your decision do it wisely based on your wants. Best of luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
It all depends on why you are buying the property. If it is solely because of deer hunting then you won't be very happy. We have 40 acres and a camp on the west end of the UP surrounded by national forest and the deer hunting has been poor for many years now. You can definitely still be successful but when you're 10+ hours away the odds are stacked greatly against you. I've gotten to the point where I've found my few spots I go to every year, hang some cameras during work weekend and hope for the best when I get up there. I get up there about 2-3 times a year with 1 being a work trip to cut wood and get the camp ready. Wouldn't trade those 10 days during deer season for a 300 acre farm I could use every day down here. You run into guys from neighboring camps and by neighboring I mean there's about 4 camps in the 60 sq mile forest around us and the attitude is just so much different than down here. Everyone isn't hung up on how many points your deer is or whether or not you shot a young deer. If you shoot a deer that makes you happy everyone will say congrats, have a beer and partake in your enjoyment. The only people that will say anything are great friends that just have to poke some fun while they enjoy it with you. To me where we are at is how hunting is supposed to be. It's not about killing a huge buck or even killing one at all. It's about the traditions and happiness of being around people you love in a totally remote wilderness setting.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We own 40-acres between Curtis and Newberry, since 2009, our camp has harvested bucks every year. To hunt EUP you have to be flexible and scout, scout, scout. Do not be afraid to move and find new areas to hunt on the Public lands. If buying land in EUP, I would not pay over $500 an acre, is there any Timber value you can selective harvest on this property? The Banana Belt of Southern UP is better deer hunting Dickenson, Menominee, Delta counties.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
To give you idea of what land is going for in the EUP.

I know of a 160 parcel that just sold for less than the asking price of $350/acre. It did have WRP easement.

·
Registered
18,943 Posts
Another aspect of property is, depending on it's location is to be able to use it as a jumping off point.
For deer hunting that may be the case if local population swings(might as well expect that and not be disappointed) .
If land is affordable to you then just knowing it is there can be rewarding during normal rat race activities.
Being able to visit it would rank high for me .It can be tough not being able to keep an eye on it ...
I once viewed a listing in the U.P. for an acre butted against national forest and though it would have sufficed for a great tent camp. An area hunted before and the right flavor for a representative slice of what I like about the region.
To each his own.
The more properties viewed the more you will get an idea of price vs location .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts