Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out on the pier this evening casting glows into the darkness. When a boat with a spot light in the channel caught my eye I could hear them talking how they could reach out and touch the fish. Then they turned around mid channel and reved the engine a bit. To my horror the water came alive as 50-80 fish started jumping out of water. I was a bit far of and could not get a decent ID on the fish but only one thing comes to mind and you all know what it is. I heard people yelling Asian Carp. In the days before I had been seeing what looked like large schools of gizzard shad in the 5-6 pound range swimming along the edge of the lake side the pier. I hope they were gizzard shad and not Silver carp. I thought about calling the DNR right away but dont want to "cry wolf". Do gizzard shad jump out the water when frightened like that or are my fears correct. :(

St. Joe Pier.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
glad to see my babies survived the transplant from the kiddie pool to the big lake...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think that you should call the DNR and see what they say.
and maybe they will at-least check it out.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
In the days before I had been seeing what looked like large schools of gizzard shad in the 5-6 pound range swimming along the edge of the lake side the pier.
You should go out and catch a couple, since the state record gizzard shad is only 4# 2oz.
For what it is worth, we had hundreds and hundreds of suckers up on the surface sunning themselves on the inside and outside of the pier yesterday afternoon, just outside of the rocks. Pretty funny watching the tourists cast a pre-rigged rubber worm into the middle of them, spooking them, and listening to them give the play by play.

Also, I would not be suprised if shad would jump when scared, as asian carp are not the only fish that does. I have seen them splash around pretty good in the fall when spawning, but not usually all of the way out of the water except when hooked, then they will jump pretty good. Found some videos of shad jumping in the boat wake of lakes out west. I have had quite a few times when we ran over a big school of ales in shallow water and had them jumping behind the boat in the wake. How were they jumping? Splashing, launching, or just swirling?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Most likely gizzard shad or suckers. You can believe what you want to believe but the carp arent here yet and we will know when they do.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should go out and catch a couple, since the state record gizzard shad is only 4# 2oz.
For what it is worth, we had hundreds and hundreds of suckers up on the surface sunning themselves on the inside and outside of the pier yesterday afternoon, just outside of the rocks. Pretty funny watching the tourists cast a pre-rigged rubber worm into the middle of them, spooking them, and listening to them give the play by play.

Also, I would not be suprised if shad would jump when scared, as asian carp are not the only fish that does. I have seen them splash around pretty good in the fall when spawning, but not usually all of the way out of the water except when hooked, then they will jump pretty good. Found some videos of shad jumping in the boat wake of lakes out west. I have had quite a few times when we ran over a big school of ales in shallow water and had them jumping behind the boat in the wake. How were they jumping? Splashing, launching, or just swirling?
These were decent size fish and launching clear out of the water. From what I could see they did not have the profile of any sucker. I have seen a great many suckers feeding along the lake side the pier, longnose and mainly golden redhorses. Also I have no idea how to target gizzard shad, as I never have. Snagged some big ones before while targeting other species.
This is a serious matter and I would not have taken the time to make this thread if I did not think it was. I hope they were gizzard shad schooled near the surface in the middle of the 20+ foot deep channel, that got spooked.
I also seen the video of the shad jumping in the boat wake but they were small juvi's. But if they jump like that when small no reason the adults cant. But seems odd I cant not find any video of the adults doing so.
Maybe I should contact the DNR, waterfroggy what do you think?

·
Registered
754 Posts
So take it for what it's worth, but if I was confident that what I saw was either a shad or Asian carp, but I could not get a good enough look, I'd risk the damn ticket and snag one to verify, and them call the dnr.

·
Registered
261 Posts
:lol:Dude you need to relax:yikes: I fish the river there 3 times a week and they were suckers and drum, but if you think they were Asian Carp you go right on ahead and believe that. Asian Carp in Lake Michigan maybe but highly unlike as you have know proof other than some people in a boat that you do not know and they arent experts either. :lol: The dont have anything over here to feed on unless they want sand.
They eat plankton and trash such as dead fish,and dead plants we are all sand here the Wisconsin side on the other hand might have issues with the rocky bottom and large planton blooms they have every year. Not to worry

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
:lol:Dude you need to relax:yikes: I fish the river there 3 times a week and they were suckers and drum, but if you think they were Asian Carp you go right on ahead and believe that. Asian Carp in Lake Michigan maybe but highly unlike as you have know proof other than some people in a boat that you do not know and they arent experts either. :lol: The dont have anything over here to feed on unless they want sand.
They eat plankton and trash such as dead fish,and dead plants we are all sand here the Wisconsin side on the other hand might have issues with the rocky bottom and large planton blooms they have every year. Not to worry​
For sure not suckers or drum.

·
Registered
547 Posts
glad to see my babies survived the transplant from the kiddie pool to the big lake...
Posted via Mobile Device
Dude this isn't funny at all. You will be the first one whining when the ecosystem is destroyed by these fish. Anyway I work down at oxcy plant and there are thousands of carp and suckers on the surface first thing in the morning. I haven't seen this many ever. They are not Asian carp yet.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
So you were fishing in the dark and there was a boat that was a ways off from you and due to the distance and darkness you couldnt positively ID the fish that were jumping. So how can you positively rule out suckers and drum when you said it was hard for you to positively ID the fish because of the distance and darkness. :help:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
So you were fishing in the dark and there was a boat that was a ways off from you and due to the distance and darkness you couldnt positively ID the fish that were jumping. So how can you positively rule out suckers and drum when you said it was hard for you to positively ID the fish because of the distance and darkness. :help:
This guy makes a good point.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
omg...lol...just drop it, they were not asian carp! go do all this research you always do and see how close they really are...not exactly where i bet you think they are.

btw yes i do care about the issue, but why panick now? what can we do when our gov is unwilling to take the only permanent solution and build a barrier...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The river channel inbetween the pier heads which had water temps in the 78-80 degree range. The boat had a bright spot light I was about 30-40 feet out on the pier past them. I would think it would be a once in a life time thing if it was suckers or drum to jump out the water like that in big schools. Did some of you guys not take biology class? Because of the angle of the light in the water and distance away I could not get a positive ID. I did how ever see profiles of fish and flashes of silver color. I have never fought a drum that jumped clear out the water and have never heard of anyone else doing so either. So quit saying they were drum, 100% not drum. Suckers possible but a school near the surface in 20+ foot channel when all the food for them is along the edge the piers, I say that rules out suckers (and only some species of suckers jump). Gizzard shad swim in large schools and it looked like they were swimming along the lake side the pier in large schools during the day. With that said I am almost positive thats what it was, I have just never seen them jump clear out the water when spooked like that, and I am sure most of you have not seen this behavior either.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You are after all the multispeciestamer so we should just take your word for it right? No. The only thing your going to do is cause a panic that there is no reason to cause. You are back peddling by saying you didn't have a positive ID but now you are 100% sure it wasn't a drum. How are you so sure? Because you know 100's of fishing experts that can guarentee that it wasn't one. I highly doubt it. You are really good at crying wolf. You should come down here to GA and convince these guys that there are black panthers down here.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
This post has your water temps at 78-80. Just saw another one of your posts that said they were pushing 70?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
So quit saying they were drum, 100% not drum. Suckers possible but a school near the surface in 20+ foot channel when all the food for them is along the edge the piers, I say that rules out suckers (and only some species of suckers jump).
I was sure that I saw multiple schools of hundreds of suckers (as I mentioned earlier), all within 2 foot of the surface (some probably less than a foot), for the length of the pier all about 10-20 yards out from the rocks. I was sure that is what they were. The closer ones you could see their heads perfectly and I was positive they were suckers, and the more distant ones you could see the outline, tail characteristics, and long profile, but not close enough to determine the specific species of sucker. But, based on your deductive reasoning, these suckers could not school in 20'+ water when their food is on the bottom, I must be wrong. Could you please tell me what they were? Were these also Asian Carp? :dizzy:

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
The river channel inbetween the pier heads which had water temps in the 78-80 degree range. The boat had a bright spot light I was about 30-40 feet out on the pier past them. I would think it would be a once in a life time thing if it was suckers or drum to jump out the water like that in big schools. Did some of you guys not take biology class? Because of the angle of the light in the water and distance away I could not get a positive ID. I did how ever see profiles of fish and flashes of silver color. I have never fought a drum that jumped clear out the water and have never heard of anyone else doing so either. So quit saying they were drum, 100% not drum. Suckers possible but a school near the surface in 20+ foot channel when all the food for them is along the edge the piers, I say that rules out suckers (and only some species of suckers jump). Gizzard shad swim in large schools and it looked like they were swimming along the lake side the pier in large schools during the day. With that said I am almost positive thats what it was, I have just never seen them jump clear out the water when spooked like that, and I am sure most of you have not seen this behavior either.
Shad definatly do jump as a school when something spooks them.In the thumb area ports in the fall we gets millions upon millions of them and when u cast your lures into a pack of them they flop out of the water,and when a big pred( pike,walleye) starts chasing them from below they all jump and scatter.Gizzard shad look alot like asian carp too so Im confidant thats what u saw,bigger then normal shad

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
I have spooked schools of Bass, Suckers, Carp (of a couple varieties), Salmon, and Steelhead - all of which busted the surface up pretty good when I boated by them. In the daylight, and in the dark. Based on high water temps, I would guess Suckers, or more likely Carp - the regular Carp we have had for decades. I suppose it could be Asian Bighead or Silver Carp, but there isn't any evidence of that whatsoever, so I will discard that theory out of hand. A boat startled some fish, in the dark, and the fish jumped out of the water. It happens more than you might know.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts