Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
The question is, why do you want to blow up a small game animal with a 9mm? Save it for deer season.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't plan on actually shooting any animal, or aiming at one, just wanted to practice shooting in the woods. And, yes, I would be careful and find safe targets, like paper plates against sand cliffs.

Perhaps, I could go on state hunting grounds and practice shooting like this without a small game license?

·
Super Moderator
20,006 Posts
I didn't plan on actually shooting any animal, or aiming at one, just wanted to practice shooting in the woods. And, yes, I would be careful and find safe targets, like paper plates against sand cliffs.

Perhaps, I could go on state hunting grounds and practice shooting like this without a small game license?
You will still need a license, orange, ect.

I can't think of too many places on Monroe County public lands where that practice would be deemed safe, especially with bow hunters, safety zones, waterfowl guys and some fool like me hunting squirrel or running my dog. You'd freak me out! It's flat!

Unlike places like in Lapeer SGA where there's actual gravel pits that guys use for sighting in.

I could be wrong, but don't think so. I'm even reluctant to shoot a 22 at times when the direction seems questionable!

Perhaps I'm just too safe (if there is such a thing)

Just go to the range, man...

·
Premium Member
9,271 Posts
Yes it is legal to target practice on state land during hunting season. I do it all the time and find going to the range a real drag because of the rookies there and their unsafe practices. You must have a small game license, wear orange and all that. I go to a place where there is a gully between two hills so there is a back stop for the bullets. I also don't do this in the middle of the day so don't disrespect the hunters at dusk and dawn but its really not a requirement, only common courtesy.

As far as the local CO getting upset, they should know the law. I know the CO where I hunt and shoot and we bust a few rounds together every year.

Oh, don't be a pig and remember to police up your brass. The world isn't your garbage can! Also I'd like to suggest to hang a string between a couple of trees and don't hang your targets in the branches so your are shooting the tree down. It just seems the right thing to do to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts