Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To catch wild pigeons in the city of Detroit to use for training your dogs? I was thinking of throwinng out some popcorn, take a net and catch a few while I'm down there to use for training.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
not sure if its legal,,, but who would complain? just don't be obvious about it. also watch you don't get a breeders birds. if its banded let it go.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Back in the 1960s and '70s you could get plans for pigeon and sparrow traps which were printed up by the Detroit Parks & Rec people. Plus they had printouts of recipes for the critters that you would catch. Young pigeons are very tasty.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I know a guy that used to use a fishing net and go under the overpasses of the expressways in the wee hours of the morning and catch pigeons. They got "questioned" on time about it from the DPD. I don't recall verbatem what happened to them but in no "uncertain" terms they were told NOT to do it again. This was 20 years ago also.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I don't recall verbatem what happened to them but in no "uncertain" terms they were told NOT to do it again. This was 20 years ago also.
I doubt that it was the catching of the pigeons that was the problem. Most likely it was stopping and being under the overpass on the freeways. Unless it is an emergency situation it is against the law to stop on the side of freeway (at least that is the way it was explained in Driver's Ed way back about 40 years ago.)

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
stillwaiting said:
To catch wild pigeons in the city of Detroit to use for training your dogs? I was thinking of throwinng out some popcorn, take a net and catch a few while I'm down there to use for training.
Michigan law prohibits the capturing of birds from the wild and holding them in captivity. Your best bet is to buy animals from a license game breeder.

The only exceptions for catching wild birds and holding them alive would be for scientific purposes, rehabilitation purposes, nuisance control, and educational purposes. These permits are very specific.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
GIBBY74 said:
Here is a link to traps made for pigeons, if your going to release them, I would consider it nuisance control.;)
Then you would need a nuisance control permit which is available too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am one of those guys who goes out in the wee hours to catch pigeons. A long handled fishing net a good flashlight and a box or cage for the birds is all you need.

As far as the legality, i've researched and called local animal control and other agencies in the counties i do this and have been told that they are a feral species without a season or bag limit, so have at it. The only issue would be where you park your vehicle when you do this. Many of the best spots are near businesses and private drives, so tresspassing is an issue.
The main thing i found was that people passing by freaked out due to seeing someone under a bridge with a light in the middle of the night possible up to no good (which everyone seems to think of the worst first). Especially since 9/11.

My buddy and i have been doing this for many years without problems although there is always an officer who may have a problem with what you are doing, so be courteous and respectful they are only doing their job. On more than one occasion the officer responding to the call was also a bird hunter.

Bare in mind that some cities may have local ordinances or other issues with this, so call around (local PD's and such) to find out details and obtain permits as necessary. If you get the response i did than give it a try. Just remember doing it may look disturbing to some people so be prepared for some questions and comments.

Good Luck!:D

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
JWICKLUND said:
Michigan law prohibits the capturing of birds from the wild and holding them in captivity. Your best bet is to buy animals from a license game breeder.

The only exceptions for catching wild birds and holding them alive would be for scientific purposes, rehabilitation purposes, nuisance control, and educational purposes. These permits are very specific.
I don't suppose my dog's education (ie training) fits under this exception.:lol: I guess I'll just have to keep catching the farmer's "pet" pigeons out of his barn and silo and using them instead of "wild" pigeons.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
While you're at it, I have a personal interest in a couple of small islands in lake Huron located near Drummond Island. You're welcome to capture as many of my pet cormorants for training purposes as you'd like. I love my little cormies so, but I'll spare a few for a fellow sportsman. Be advised that 100's, even 1000's of them will nest on the islands, so you have to be careful you don't harm the precious little eggs or baby cormies in the nests. If someone were to step on or disrupt the nest it would be a horrible tragedy.

I've also offered the USCG use of the islands for live fire exercises, but they've yet to take me up on the offer. Neither has the Air Force who I hear need places for their pilots to practice dropping napalm. ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Are these bridge/city pigeons considered wild? If not then they arent Michigan wildlife? So holding wildlife in captivity would not be a concern.?

I dont have that answer, but I know in the regs the feral pigeons which bridge/city pigeons are, have no closed season or bag limit.
I think your only concern would be the traffic violation if you park on the e-way so just park on a side street. The net in the park thing, well I dont think you would have a problem except the on-lookers questioning and if you dont care about that then carry on, or go to a secluded park if you dare to in Detroit :eek:ne_eye:
I used to catch the pigeons under my nearby bridge and use them for training until my dog didnt care for them any more, she likes chukar better.
By the way--pigeons are quite tasty :)

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
Feral pigeons may be taken year round with a VAILID small game license. Taken means killed, not captured or held against their will to train dogs.
You would need a permit to do anything other than hunt them.

Also any animal held in captivity that is either a Michigan species or resembles a Michigan species is also subject to permits.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
What about homing pigeons? Do I need a permit to use these birds for dog training? If not, how is a LEO going to tell a "feral" pigeon from a homer hatched in my loft?

·
Registered
171 Posts
In 1990 I was ticketed in Troy for illigally capturing wild birds. We were under I-75 with the long fish net deal. Someone called the police and the cop must have been an anti. I went in front of (True Story) Judge Hunter. At the time in the small game reg's it mentioned the legal taking of Feral pigions being legal any time of year.
Judge Hunters last comments as we left the court room was "Keep up the good work!"
My wife, pregnant at the time was still not amussed

·
Registered
474 Posts
JWICKLUND said:
Feral pigeons may be taken year round with a VAILID small game license. Taken means killed, not captured or held against their will to train dogs.
You would need a permit to do anything other than hunt them.

Also any animal held in captivity that is either a Michigan species or resembles a Michigan species is also subject to permits.

The hunting guide says "All non gamebirds except house sparrows, starlings and feral pigeons are protected" I take that to mean that feral pigeons are NOT protected. Where does it say "taking" means killed? The bigger question is why does any law enforcement officer care about what happens to a feral pigeon? If the state want to claim them as being owned by the state, then the state should be paying for all the damage that pigeons do to roof tops and builing structures. I don't think that will be happening anytime soon!

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Gander Club said:
The bigger question is why does any law enforcement officer care about what happens to a feral pigeon?
To answer your "bigger question", good law enforcement officers are sworn to enforce the law, not to just enfore laws they agree with, be it feral pigeons, marijuana, poaching or whatever.:eek:

I'd bet you already new the answer to your question anyway, at least I hope so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts