Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 1972 Johnson outboard considered an "antique", or "collectable"?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I would not consider it a collectable, or antique. What HP is it?

Why, without knowing condition, would you guys call it an anchor?:confused: My everyday kicker is a '62 Johnson. I gaurentee that it will start on or before the second pull, and troll all day without issue. When I took it out of mothballs two weeks ago ... started second pull after sitting all winter. If they are taken care of, most are like a Timex watch ... 'Take a lickin and keep on ticken'.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Mister ED said:
It they are taken care of, most are like a Timex watch ... 'Take a lickin and keep on ticken'.
There are guys still running outboards from the 50s and doing it with confidence. And, yes, those old 2 cycle outboards will keep right on tickin'.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Antique & Classic Boat Society classifies boats as follows:
1969 to present: Contemporary
1943 to 1968 Classic
1919 to 1042 Antique
prior to 1919 Historic

Not sure if this is the same for outboards.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
trusty said:
Ed, it's a 4hp & runs great!
If it runs great ... that's what matters. Don't be concerned about the antique value. It's value is because it is a good running, dependable OB. So ... get out and use it!;) Parts are still readily available, and in fact I'd bet that your '72 and my '62 use the same ignition components along with some other parts.

Forgot to mention ... I have a '57 to go along with my '62. One is a 5.5 the other is a 7.5. I do like the '62 better as it is a 50:1 mix, where as the older one is a 30 or 32:1 mix. They changed in '59 or '61 ... or somewhere right in there.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I've run many an outboard over 35 years old that has had my total confidence. With regular and proper care, I think outboards last virtually forever. ;) Yes, I said "forever". We'll wait and see, hopefully I can keep fishing that long ! :D

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
jampg said:
Antique & Classic Boat Society classifies boats as follows:
1969 to present: Contemporary
1943 to 1968 Classic
1919 to 1042 Antique
prior to 1919 Historic

Not sure if this is the same for outboards.
Some things aren't considered as antique until they are over 100 years old.
Rich
ps: I just turned 61 and don't consider myself an antique by any means. :lol:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Sorry I was just being a smart*****. :eek:

Seriously, older outboards are fine. I have a 78 25 hp evinrude still runs great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts