• Combination of Luck, Technique and Skills

Votes: 39 79.6%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you Consider Fishing?
I argued with a guy that told me its all luck. There are to many variables to fishing and there is no way to get the fish to do what you want.. He said...."If you catch the biggest fish in the water, It's all Luck!"
I just want to show him these results and prove him wrong, help me out guys/girls.

1. Luck
  2. Technique and Skils
  3. Combination of Luck and Technique/Skills
    [/list=1]

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
right now look at who is winning the trap attack tournaments and placing in the top 5 consistently. If it was all luck, the same people wouldn't be able to outfish everyone consistently. I few times maybe, theres always a cinderella, but skill has a lot to do with consistency.

steve

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Personally, I think it's mainly skill and technique but don't tell me there no luck involved. For example, last steelhead season was pathetic. Even the best anglers on this site weren't hooking fish because simply the fish weren't there. However, if somoene did find A fish, they used there techniques to catch the fish. If it wasn't for luck, the wouldn't have found the fish. My .02 cents

·
Registered
125 Posts
Skill and experience to find 'em and put 'em in the boat. Where luck comes in is having Mother Nature cooperate on that one day a week you're able to get on the water!

Jim

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need more people to post to this site....That guy made me mad... He was down right arguing with me....I was like, cool man but....and he "No there is no but....It is all luck"

I need to show him these statistics and prove that skilled anglers like us agree that the majority of us say it is Technique, Skills, and then Luck....

JVS and northern I agree with you guys that is exactly what I think...You need to understand their life cycles, then you need to understand how to use your equipment,,,then you have better luck...

Am I Right or What?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at the Data already no one has honestly put all luck yet....Don't anyone mess this up for me.... Please dont.. I have to get this guy

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
The more I work on my skills and technique the luckier I get.

Walleye123 there is an old saying about wisdom "wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it" I think it applies to that guy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you are exactly correct on that comment. I just think he is a stubborn old man and doesn't accept other peoples comments.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I think number 2 is the best awnser. Because nobody has all luck.
....But everybody gets's lucky sometime. Skill, technique, and presentation will have played the lead role in you're catch by the end of the day, but even the best of fishermen can not make a fish who doesn't want to bite bite.

Just as a great deer hunter with the best spot in a thousand acre parcel can not guarantee a large buck will walk beneath his tree-stand even when he does everything right. Skills may increase your chances even tenfold, But sometimes, you're just in the right place at the right time.

I went with #3

Al

·
Registered
839 Posts
I,got to go with #3.
I fish alot with a guy who won the Pro Walleye Tour ,a few years ago.He outfishes me constantly.Except for Pike on my favorite river.But a few(very few) times we went out,I, have outfished him.So luck has to have something to do with it.
We can be in the same boat,using like lures and eqipment,fishing the same holes,and his techniques win out most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
When I go out and knock them dead all day, it's because of my exceptional angling skills, my ability to read the water and figure out where the active fish will be at any given time of the day, and knowing just which bait presented just so will elicit the desired response. When I get skunked, it's just plain old bad luck.;) :p

·
Registered
931 Posts
I say its mostly your skill and technique, but luck does come in to play as far as having that beautiful day to go fishing. Having the wind and clouds and sunshine, etc., in your favor is beyond your control, making you lucky to be able to fish and use your skill and technique to catch the bigguns.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Dont forget technology! If you have the right electronics (gps, good sonar, radio) it can make it a lot easier. You cant catch fish if there not there. But I guess you still have to have the skill to decipher the info.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Good point suckerbass, technology is a big part of it if you have it, which personally I don't have the radar, etc. I usually only have a battery FM radio, not the two way radio you're refering to I think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts