Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy who is also my dog trainer(Dogman here on this form)called to see if I was going with him and another friend down to Allegan and watch the big boys (all age and shooting dogs) run. They are taking a motor home to camp in and a horse to ride braces. Or was I going to Gladwin this weekend to watch the Cover Dogs run. Since I still have the flu and can't seem to shake it I thought I give them a break and stay home or go fish the M-S St. Joe outting. Good luck to any that due run and take and post pictures. I'm getting where I like spring trail season(at least cover dog)as well as fall hunting. No bugs and I don't have to carry that heavy shot gun that I can't hit anything with any way.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I am going with my friend Nick Miller to one of these trials not sure what one. is any one else going??

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I think I'd be interested in heading out to the one in Gladwin... pending no further time restraints.

-Scott

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I am not sure where the trial is I am going to and never been to one. I am also going to watch a dog I trained run. I hope its in gladwin its sunday and I cant get ahold of nick

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sunday is the amateur derby. To get there take us10w to 18n. Take 18 to merridith, turn right at the general store (merridth grade) The road will turn to gravel, make a left at campground sign goto the "t" make a right, goto the next "t" make another right, go thru stop sign, at "t" make another right and take it into the trial grounds.

Back Woods.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
drwink,
Is this your first grouse trial? If so look me up. I will be at a campsite with a black pull behind 6 hole dog trailer parked in it. I would be glad to show you around and walk some braces with you. I will be there Saturday morning at 8:30 or 9:00.

Back Woods

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Thanks Bruce
I'll be there saturday morning & I'll look you up.
I'd be glad to have some one show me around and answer questions I probably will have. I have a phot of your rig you have posted on your trip to Rob's at Bear Creek as long as their is not a lot of em the same.

Wally Shook

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for the directions Bruce. I wish I could make it up there this weekend, but duty calls. I will be running dogs just not at a field trial. Have guided hunts all weekend. Good luck to everyone. Some day when the preserve season ends I will get up there and watch one of these coverdog trials. I might even give it a shot myself, but I would like to walk one first and see it first hand before I bring my dogs.

Rob
Bear Creek

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rob let me guess is hunting for hire as much fun as fishing for hire? Yes it's work but it's work we love good luck and have fun. drwink and I are going up together tomarrow.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
WD, yes it is work but I love to do this job. I just love running the dogs. Good luck tomorrow and hope you and the Doc don't come home with anymore of those long haired dogs! Just kidding. I do want to get up there maybe later this month. Have fun.

Rob

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I am heading over to Highland for an AKC hunt test to see what they are all about. I am running my weim pup in a JH, but want to check out a couple SHs.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Glad to see that you all are getting into trials and hunt tests.
Hunt tests are great because the dog is only competing against itself, trials, it competes against the field.
For those of you who don't have the wherewithall to buy horses and a rig for field trials, you can walk, it's allowed, although the judges might be up your a$$ with their horses if you dawdle.
There are a number of good walk competitions in MI on trials and there are a number of major players who win opens by walking.
Also, just because it's a GSP or Vizsla or Britt test, or whatever, almost all clubs have it open to all pointing breeds.
I've gained a lot of points in 'other breed' tests with my Britts, even when we were the only Britts in the braces.
You will meet a lot of friendly people and learn a bunch from these competitions.

o town

Hey, good luck, all of you.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Just got back from Highland and the hunt test. . . that was one long day, but great to see all of the dogs and people. Had my pup in the Junior Hunter and she got a score of 8s acrossed the board. . . I guess that's good from what they told me. First time for me at any of these type of things.

Off to a preserve hunt in the morning. . . .I have to get to bed with this darn time change. I hope to have some pics developed next week and if they are any good I will post a couple.

Hope all the other trials went well.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congradulations to you and you pup omega58 now you only have three more legs for a J.H.

drwink and I went to Gladwin today and meet up with Back Woods and Legris. After the usual story swapping(drwink learned what a dropper is) we all went over to the puppy trails. They all (except me) walked a few braces. drwink got his first chance to see cover dog trails and how they work. I'm sure we all got to see some furture cover dog champions in the making there were some nice looking pups running and we also got to see a litter mate to Krope new pup there. We went back to Alibi hall for lunch more stories and meet a very nice lady that makes custom holsters, landards, and even custom weaved callars(those were really sweet for the person that needs everything for there dog). Good luck to Legres and his good looking pointer that running derby tomarrom.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
the trial I went to was in Allegan I watched the pups run then walked a brace in the shooting dog. My friend Joel won the SHOOTING dog today I think thats what its called with a pointer named Amy congrats Joel

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The bad thing about going to a trail that you don't take your dogs they know when you've cheated on them. They may seam happy when you first get home but look out when you go to bed (if looks could kill).

I just found out a friend of mine was one of the judges there at Allegan but didn't hear what he judged. Anyone going to the Mi. championships at Ionia or the Grand up to Gladwin?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a dog in the Grand National Invitational and also plan to go be a spectator at the Mi. Shooting Dog Championship after that.
I heard you guys watched a few puppies run. I was at the shooting dog and heard you guys showed up . Wormdunker, don't forget the Hunting dog stake is coming this summer.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
coverdog, congrats you must have a nice dog to get to nats.
Do you know the date of the hunting dog stake, I asked some of the people at the trials they didn't know the exact date but thought it may have been the third weekend in august.
I usually plan a vacation to the western U.P. in august.
Being a newbie I would like to enter this one with my 4 year old Setter to get my feet wet.
If you know the date I would appreciate as will plan my vac around.

Thanks
Wally

1 - 20 of 25 Posts