Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if 600 hours is worn out for a 4 wheeler? The one I called on is a Suzuki 400 4x4. A lady owns it. Its also an automatic. I haven't gone to see it, but it seems like a lot of time to me....Does anyone have any thoughts about this. She is asking $2700. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
My 07 Grizzly which is 15 months old has I think 57 hours on it.

Not sure if that will help you or not..........600 does sound a tad high though...

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I'm by no means an ATV expert. But 600 hours for a five year old machine sounds like a lot of hours to me. That's 120 hours a year. Sounds WELL used to me! But that doesn't mean it's been well taken care of.

Just my .02

John

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you sure its hours and not miles? Seems like it may be about the right milage for a machine of that vintage.....

Just a thought>>>:idea:

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I barely ride mine...barely. It's an 05 with just a tick over 200 miles and about 50 hours. It's used around the hunting property and for plowing etc. One weekend of trail riding was 80+ miles....so 120 miles in 3 years minus one weekend. It's parked most fo the time. I don't think 600 hours is all that much for a 5 year old machine to be honest. I see machines all the time with 1000-1200 hours that are newer etc. If I lived close to a place to ride, I would have a lot more hours. Does the machine have a mileage guage?

·
Registered
681 Posts
its hard to judge usage by hours. what i mean by that is- was it 600 hours of hard farm usage, or 600 hours of yard usage. overall looks can tell if hard use is the case. i had a utility in the past that was used lightly around the house by ny wife, she wouldnt turn the machine off when she was loading the yard cart. the machine had many hours of just idle time, and cruising the farm perimeter where we used it also.
what i would do if you are serious about this machine, take a compresion guage and check cylinder compresion. this will give you a rough idea of cylinder condition. look for specs online to know where it stands after getting the reading. ask what they used it for, it might have tons of trail miles which would equal a fair good amount of hours. ive put well over 20hrs on a 3 day weekend trail trip many times. give it a good look over, check for slop in the suspension, noises that shouldnt be in the drivetrain and so on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also say it is hard to judge by hours. I have a 03 honda 500 and if you leave the key in the on position hours still go up with motor not running.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Could be alot of idleing time in the yard/woods etc. I bought a 2003 Yamaha 660 grizzly that had 100 hours and 300 miles on it in late 2006 for $3800. and im not at all regretting it. You will need to go and look at it to tell if it was beat or not. Ask alot of questions about how it was used.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the answers.... as it turns out it was 618 miles. It is in great shape was owned by a woman. I got it for $2,600. I'm pretty happy. Just need a snow plow...any suggestions? Also, a rack to carry my ice fishing shanty. Thanks again. Kev

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Sounds like a Suzuki Eiger...these were good reliable machines. 618 miles is nothing really, looks like you got a very nice deal!

For plows, the Warn plows and mounts are pretty economical and work well. Make sure you include a winch in the purchase and get it all at once. you should be able to puick up a 54" plow, mount, a 2500# winch and fairlead for around $700 -$750or so. About $350 for the plow and mount and about the same for the winch. Don't mess with a hand lift plow....the winch is the way to go!

Do a search on here...lots of info on plows etc.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sounds like a Suzuki Eiger...these were good reliable machines. 618 miles is nothing really, looks like you got a very nice deal!

For plows, the Warn plows and mounts are pretty economical and work well. Make sure you include a winch in the purchase and get it all at once. you should be able to puick up a 54" plow, mount, a 2500# winch and fairlead for around $700 -$750or so. About $350 for the plow and mount and about the same for the winch. Don't mess with a hand lift plow....the winch is the way to go!

Do a search on here...lots of info on plows etc.
I have an '04 (it's out at the hunting property so I can't tell you the miles), it's standard shift, but it's a great machine. You see very few used Eigers for sale. Very solid, stable....mine blows the Honda/Yamaha/Polaris machines of similar power that my buddies drive away.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I just got a 3000# Gorilla xt series winch for 110 free shipping on ebay.

And I am ordering a 54" warn plow with all the accessories for 377 shipped.

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
Check out www.cyclecountry.com for their plows and accessories. I've had mine for over 4 years and you can't hurt it. Believe me if anyone could, I should have mine. I've moved 40 yds. of topsoil, run into roots and just about everything else with it. I plow all my trails to all five of my hunting stands. I need to talk the wife to agree to my need for the cyclecountry blade angle adjustment package. You adjust the plow angle from setting on the seat of the quad. I think its $61.00 Wife says I need to get off my butt and off the seat once in awhile:lol:

NOTE........... Don't buy wear bars from the manufacturer. They're way over priced. Run over to Alro Steel and get your wear bars from them and just drill your own mounting holes. They'll cut you anything that you want. I got mine 4" wide and center the holes. When one side wears, I unbolt it and turn it over. My last bar, which I bought last year, cost me $17.00 ;)

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Wonder how good that angle change release is??? I know its a pain to change the angle now with snow and ice frozen to the rod on the regular blades......just wonder how the quick release would work in that same condition??????

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
Wonder how good that angle change release is??? I know its a pain to change the angle now with snow and ice frozen to the rod on the regular blades......just wonder how the quick release would work in that same condition??????
I suspect that it works ok as long as you don't have a really wet heavy snow, that might pack around the release handle. If that were the case, you would probably have to get off the quad anyway.
But, when it gets cold and with a dryer snow, I think it would save alot of work getting off and on. I know I burn up more gas than I would if I could turn the blade without getting off and on. That ain't lazy is it like the wife's talking about? :lol:
One thing I do without fail, is to clean the plow off before putting it up. I've had one freeze up that I just kicked the plow to break it loose. I found that cleaning it up good prevents freezing while setting.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Don't mess with a hand lift plow....the winch is the way to go!

My neighbor plows snow with a yamaha 400 with a manual lift plow, and watching him plow snow looks so easy. He has the lift handle mounted so he doesn't have to lean forward to reach it. He said that he got the manual lift after watching his father in law use his with a winch, and the winch was slow to lift the plow. each to his own.

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
Don't mess with a hand lift plow....the winch is the way to go!

My neighbor plows snow with a yamaha 400 with a manual lift plow, and watching him plow snow looks so easy. He has the lift handle mounted so he doesn't have to lean forward to reach it. He said that he got the manual lift after watching his father in law use his with a winch, and the winch was slow to lift the plow. each to his own.
Must have had something to do with the style of winch that he had. If it was a small light weight winch, most likely mounted on the blade itself, yes they're slow. Now..... you push the button on mine and you better not make the mistake of anything more than just touching it, or you'll be in the garage, taping up the cable, grinding it flat and repairing it again.
A Warn or Super Wench rated for 2500# will move a blade quick!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
depends on who put them on it, and how it was maintained
that hit the nail on the head.:D
how many hours do you have on your truck ???? or miles???? if you maintain your toys, and religiously change the oil (not per manufacturer specs) that engine will last forever. also the air filter is biggie in the maintenance with lubbing.
i have a 2004 polaris sportsman with over 500 hours on it. that oil/oil filter is changed at 80-90 hours not the 100 per polaris specs and it also gets a new bath of oil and a filter for the winter put up and that could be any where from 30-60 hours on the last change.
i change the oil in my ford every 3k miles ford says 5k miles and just bumped that up to 7k thats insane. :dizzy: unless you own ford motor co. they sell trucks and motors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts