Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,191 Posts
We are getting closer and closer to a food replicator just like on Star Trek.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473988,00.asp
They came to our shop and did a presentation on 3D printing and it's value in our (Auto) industry. Just incredible, prototype stuff easily made without expensive die making and casting. I was in awe at the technology.

They are going into 3D printing human parts like ears and such for burn victims or birth defects, just incredible technology. NOTHING seems impossible anymore... :yikes:

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been following it for awhile and the body parts are more than just ears now. They are doing major blood veins/arteries, bones and heart parts.

Speaking of prototype parts the 3D process is also invaluable for auto mechanics who have a hard time finding obscure parts for old cars.

NOTHING seems impossible anymore...
Except for not paying taxes and for living forever...but if they keep up with the body part printing they might have a way to making living almost forever possible.

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
Wish they could 3D my body to look like "Charlie Atlas!":lol::rolleyes:;):lol:

·
Registered
406 Posts
It is pretty incredible what you can do with one, also kinda scary.. For instance, you can make an "undetectable gun".. Of course you can only shoot it 1 time, but it only takes 1 bullet to hijack an airplane.. Not sure what all of the precautions are that are taken to ensure this doesn't happen, but doesn't look to hard to make a 20 dollar gun and bypass a metal detector.. Legally you are required to put a metal sheet in the guns made by 3d printers, but I don't see how this law is going to stop a criminal or terrorist from doing what they want with their personal printer...
Speaking of hijack, I didn't mean to hijack this thread for the sake of national security.. Carry on..
Zach

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
With a 3D printer you could make a bigger, more better...... uh... :hide:

I couldn't let that go, I hope you understand! ;)
It took 11 posts before someone got it right! :yikes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With a 3D printer you could make a bigger, more better...... uh... :hide:

I couldn't let that go, I hope you understand! ;)
You don't need a 3D printer, just some of that bio-engineering. If you send off some nicely worded letters I am sure that a university or bio-lab would be willing to take you on as a test subject.

Tying the advances in 3D printing with the advances in bio-engineering is going to lengthen human life by a decade or two but more importantly will improve dramatically the quality of life, especially after approx age 60. Oh, and that quality of life includes the bigger and more better uh that "Oldgrandman" is concerned about.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/first-bioengineered-blood/

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,191 Posts
You don't need a 3D printer, just some of that bio-engineering. If you send off some nicely worded letters I am sure that a university or bio-lab would be willing to take you on as a test subject.
I'm not the one with a "problem" :D

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
3D printer for food now I know where they have been getting all the tomatoes we get here in the winter , hope they can quit making them out of plastic thou ! Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts