Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, it looks like we'll be here for one more MI winter. So, my question is, is my boy (2.5 yrs old) to young to go out ice fishin' this year? He loves fishing and he would go nuts with all the tiny little perch at motro beach. Just wondering what everyones opinions are on this......

·
Super Moderator
37,512 Posts
There is a woeful lack of good outdoor clothing for toddlers. Just keep him in a heated shanty wearing a PFD, and expect truncated excursions. Keep in mind that with their low body mass, kids are much more susceptible to hypothermia and CO poisioning. Have fun!!:)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ESOX
Keep in mind that with their low body mass, kids are much more susceptible to hypothermia and CO poisioning. Have fun!!:)
ESOX.

You don't have to try and scare the hell outta me......:D

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I started my daughter out on ice when she was that age. She's now six. We do a group outing with a few of our freinds and neighbors and their kids around that age (2.5 - 6 yrs). We try to go on days that arent to cold or windy which helps. When they get bored or the fishin gets slow they have each other to play with. One of the dad's has a pop up shantie that we use for a warming shack and pottie for the girls! :eek: It's a blast! Like I said she's now six and looking forward to doing it again this winter! Cant start'em to early!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
For the past 10 years, I've put a ice fishing outing together for my buddies and myself, my 12 year old is one of the "original" members.
Like Esox mentioned, a PFD, warm shanty are a must.
A gameboy during the slow times wouldn't hurt either.
Just a little warning, as they get older, they tend to think that any new equipment is theirs. My son suggested (after the end of last years ice fishing season) that I should go out and buy myself a Aqua Vu. Just like "his".

Good luck and good Patience!

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I agree w/ Burksee you can't start too early. While I don't fish I've taken my grandson snowshoeing since he was 2-1/2 and just out in the woods in general. He's now eight and can read a number of tracks and sign, start a very good fire, out run me on snowshoes and in general he just loves being in the woods. We are now moving on to compass reading and navigating a course w/ it. He's become my best outdoor companion, he's like a sponge when learning and never gripes about anything.

Regarding clothes for kids. I have noticed that Bass Pro is making a more serious attempt at carrying quality kids clothing. they now have several different styles from manufacturers like Remington and Browning. They also carry a decent line of kids boots.

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
I took my two-yr-old out last year - in very short bursts ;)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yep that's the key short attention span, keep it short and they will love it. Hot Chocolate!

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
my sons been going since he was 2 and now he never wants to leave the ice. make sure you have a shanty and its warm. the gameboy idea is a good one and of all the things to do, make sure its a place where you will catch fish. if not they wont want to go back out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Started fishing with my daughter at 3, didn't get creepers till the next year, it was a big mistake--she fell often

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
We have had more fun ice fishing with our kids, starting as soon as they were old enough to walk out there and slip and fall!;) Lots of great suggestions. Our kids have their own bucket for stuff to take on the ice. It's a small dishwasher soap bucket from Sam's Club. It doubles as their seat.

Inside, they keep an extra pair of gloves because it's guaranteed they will get one pair wet, ton's of snacks, juice boxes, a plastic grocery bag to put their garbage in, etc.

The days when there is plenty of good ice and it's a balmy day with lots of sun are the days that we have had the least fun. Too much slush which equates to wet everything and cold kids. ;)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Kids are a great way to set up tip-ups over thin ice areas you can't get to. Imagine how soon you could get on the ice if you were 30 lbs?;)

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Not like it hasn't crossed my mine......I am starting my 4 yo rock climbing next month!! Should drive her mom nuts.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Took my Son out from 2 years old...now he is 19, and loves Ice fishing...Daughter started at two also...now at 11, she goes out a few times each year, on nicer days, and witht he shanty...

Lots of good suggestions....A Game Boy, would have helped( never had one) But I did always take a few small toys out for them to play with, and kept the trips very short...prolly 2-3 hours MAX the first few years, then went to a petting farm, hike in the woods, or anything else to make it a day long event for them.

Samantha will stay out longer now, and she is looking forward to going this year..I hope to get her onto some better fishing...maybe a nice pike on a tip-up..she would love it..

SOmeone else said it right....do your very best to put them on fish, even DINKS....if they don't catch something...they don't want to go back...

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I started my grandson at two. He's three now and he told me yesterday ' he needs to go ice fishing". Can't start them too young. My grandson stays out four-five hours each trip. Somedays he'd like to stay out all day and he's even taken a snoozer on the ice. In my shanty of course;) Get the kids out there. Good luck just tell them not to step in the holes with their boots LOL:p . Loose more grandsons that way;) ....marty:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Started my son ice fishing at that age, he's now 32. Last year took his daughter (3). Nice day, safe ice, warm shanty, 5hrs later the smile on her face, PRICELESS. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Had both my son and daughter out at the age of 2.
Like was said dress them warm and have a warm place for them too warm up. Love taking my kids!

chad1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts