Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out yesterday after work,(Sat.) and fished till dark, I started in my weedbed area and drilled a few holes till I saw some action on the graph. I ended up catching 3 nice Gills 8-9", and I saw so many fish come up to my glow jig and just not take it !!! I moved in shallower as the sun started setting and caught two nice perch. around 4:30 I startyed jigging with a rapala and ended up catching 4 nice walleyes that really looked healthy 16-18" (Perfect in the frypan !!).
I was just wondering if anyone was heading out to their ice festival ( Devils Lake Tip Up festival) next weekend Feb 6-7-8. I know I'll be out there with my buddy and we're going to do the poker run they have, and I'll probably get in the ice fishing contest they'll be doing. I need to check out more info. to find out wahts what, and how they'll judge it, but anyone that's interested can call Knutsons bait shop in Brooklyn and inquire.
Oh and for anyone that's into devils Lake as I am, I talked to DNR Jeff in Livonia that handles the lake, and he said that Devils is going to be the first lake stocked this year with walleyes since they missed it last year (Had problems with the fish). The stock they made in 2001 where they put in 133,000 waleyes should start paying dividends in this next year or so. With them putting in so many walleyes, it looks as though this lake is taking off, although I had a tough time catching many in the summer/. I did good in the fall thou. Jeff from the DNR said they're going to stop putting in the redear sunnies because they're not showing up in their testings on the lake. Has anyone caught any of these redears out of Devils ??? I know that they do good in wamplers.
Oh well, good luck out there, be safe, and maybe I'll see ya out there on Devils next weekend at Tip Up Festival.

·
Registered
923 Posts
you must have had a great spot. me and bigmac fished from 9am til 4pm on devils yesterday and managed only a sublegal pike. we moved quite a few times to various depths. talked to alot of people and they all had the same comment...slow! saw some fish on the aqua-vu but no takers. seemed like the gills were really pushed into deep water by all of the commotion (sleds and quads). saw a huge pike swim by the camera...easy 3 footer. where did you get the 'eyes? based on what we heard you seem like the only guy that was catching a decent number of fish on devils yesterday. where were the hot spots?

·
Registered
82 Posts
fishmann,
We do good on the crappies on devils but would like to catch a few walleyes as well. Could you tune us in to a little action? Any info would be appriciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was on the north side of the gravel bar moving in and out of the weed beds where it comes out of the deep water. The gills were down deep along the weed edge. You need to find the GOOD weeds right now. They'll supply you with more fish. The walleyes and perch were coming up towards the gravel end just outside of a tappering weedbed. With your camera look for the good weeds (cabbage) and don't worry about the fish showing on the camera, I think sometimes it scares em when you first put it in. That water is REALLY clear. The fish will come back to those weeds.
Have you tried the sandbar at dusk ??? I did good there two weekends ago.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Never have tried the sandbar in the winter but I think I know where you are talking about. Do you park at sandy beach road or the access? Our best crappie spot is off the the public access along the north shore about half way to the sandbar. Like you said it's all about weeds! I don't have a camera just a vexilar so if the water is deep I can't tell whats down there. We will be going out Friday and Sat. for the tipup fest...you going?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts