Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if land owners with so much property have a certain amount of tags they can get. Watching whitetail freaks and wondering how non resident hunters like the Landry boys get to hunt with the kiskys every year..

·
Team Yukon
4,865 Posts
I'm just curious if land owners with so much property have a certain amount of tags they can get. Watching whitetail freaks and wondering how non resident hunters like the Landry boys get to hunt with the kiskys every year..
It's easier to get a gun or Muzzy tag and you could draw every year over an Archery tag that takes 3 to 4 years to draw. During the show the one Landry kid mentioned that he would have still come up and been the camp cook if he hadn't of drawn a tag....I thought I heard that the Drury's get some Governor tags to bring in guests for the show...

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
It's easier to get a gun or Muzzy tag and you could draw every year over an Archery tag that takes 3 to 4 years to draw. During the show the one Landry kid mentioned that he would have still come up and been the camp cook if he hadn't of drawn a tag....I thought I heard that the Drury's get some Governor tags to bring in guests for the show...
Couple ways....yes, Governor tags(think that is what they call them?) are handed out to a lot of outdoor celebrities to promote Iowa hunting(shows), so even they might get tags that way!? Also, you can just draw a doe tag and "party hunt" with the locals...I know a group that does this every year in Iowa. A lot of locals would like this practice banned as they think it encourages "deer drives" which by the way is very very popular in Iowa for locals. Of course a lot of locals love hunting this way, so I think they out number they others wanting it banned. And yes, gun hunting permits are much easier to get. IN southern Iowa it is every other year on average for outstaters, so put down the string and apply of gun to shoot a bruiser!

·
Premium Member
30,897 Posts
Several guys that own ground in Iowa but live elsewhere will hire a local non hunter as a "caretaker". The local will buy a resident license (buck tag) and the landowner will buy a doe tag. As long as the person in possession of the buck tag is on the property or at least within 15 minutes of the property, the holder of the doe tag can kill a buck on the resident's license under their party hunting rules. The IDNR isn't crazy about the loophole, but they created it.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Several guys that own ground in Iowa but live elsewhere will hire a local non hunter as a "caretaker". The local will buy a resident license (buck tag) and the landowner will buy a doe tag. As long as the person in possession of the buck tag is on the property or at least within 15 minutes of the property, the holder of the doe tag can kill a buck on the resident's license under their party hunting rules. The IDNR isn't crazy about the loophole, but they created it.
Party hunting only applies for shotgun seasons as well.

·
Premium Member
30,897 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts