Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Has anyone had deer spook when you blat at them to get them to stop? Every deer I've ever done it to has stopped dead in their tracks. In fact, I had a doe bust me last year right under my stand and she took off on a full sprint. I drew and blatted simultaneously and she stopped at 25 yards, even looked back giving me a nice quarting away shot.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I don't like walking shots either, never had one spook because I blatted. Almost always they will stop, or they are in such a hurry they wont stop for anything.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I never want to give my position away, but I have yelled at deer to get him to stop.

I yelled at a 10 chasing a doe, I mean yelled. He stopped I shot. The walking shot it a no brainer, this guy just jump the trigger a bit. He had a decoy out, I bet the deer would have stopped. Second IMO if one is going to shoot a deer walking, make sure the deer is walking away not torwards you. This will allow a shot that is to far back to go right up the boiler room, gives the hunter a greater margin of error.

Funny what some think "Big" is for bucks. My buddies in Iowa would not even looked twice at that buck. He would have walked, in MI he's dead.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I
Funny what some think "Big" is for bucks. My buddies in Iowa would not even looked twice at that buck. He would have walked, in MI he's dead.
I was thinking kinda the same thing, it was a nice buck he took, but he got super wound up over the smaller ones as well.:16suspect

·
Registered
444 Posts
Has anyone had deer spook when you blat at them to get them to stop? Every deer I've ever done it to has stopped dead in their tracks. In fact, I had a doe bust me last year right under my stand and she took off on a full sprint. I drew and blatted simultaneously and she stopped at 25 yards, even looked back giving me a nice quarting away shot.
Biggest Buck I've ever been in the woods with walked 10 yards infront of me. Perfect broadside. I let a little grunt from deep in my throat (I was at full draw, trying to imitate a grunt, and just needed him to stop for one second so that I could get my pin steady) He spooked a trotted off.

If I'm ever faced with a decision to take the walking shot again, I'll do it. No question.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Biggest Buck I've ever been in the woods with walked 10 yards infront of me. Perfect broadside. I let a little grunt from deep in my throat (I was at full draw, trying to imitate a grunt, and just needed him to stop for one second so that I could get my pin steady) He spooked a trotted off.

If I'm ever faced with a decision to take the walking shot again, I'll do it. No question.
I think a higher-pitched doe bleat is far less likely to spook a deer than any grunt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts