Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone using Inukshuk dog food? How are your dogs doing on it?

Here's a link to their site. The 26/16 does contain whole grain corn, but the price looks pretty good (purchased in bulk). $27.85 a bag for half pallet (30 33lb. bags); $21.85 for a full pallet (65 33lb. bags) plus shipping I assume. Didn't look that far.

http://inukshukpro.com/

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There are better foods for roughly the same price per pound.

Personally, I'll never feed my dog a food containing corn. If you look at the ingredient list, barley and wheat are pretty high on the list too.

Food for canines should contain alot of meat, not so much grain IMHO.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I like that the first 2 ingredients are meat products. I understand a lot of folks are skeptical about corn, but I fed Pro Plan for years before they added that shredded bits forumula, and the dogs never had any issues such as alergies.

I continue to feed the Kirkland brand without any problems, but always have my eyes open to alternatives given the issues Diamond has had.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I like that the first 2 ingredients are meat products. I understand a lot of folks are skeptical about corn, but I fed Pro Plan for years before they added that shredded bits forumula, and the dogs never had any issues such as alergies.

I continue to feed the Kirkland brand without any problems, but always have my eyes open to alternatives given the issues Diamond has had.
From what I learned working at a petstore, it is not that corn causes allergies (although it does that too!), it is that corn is a filler. Think of when you eat corn... We don't digest it.. it comes out the same way it goes in. You need more food to satisfy the nutritional requirements of dogs, because it has VERY little nutritional value, and its cheap to put in dog food. There are websites out there that tell you about the different controversial ingredients in dog food.

That said, I do feed Pro-plan performace, because I have 4 dogs to feed, and the price is right, and with a little more food each they have done fine on it. Besides we won half a pallet at the puppy classic ;) My pup will be eating wellness for the first year, just because I am superstitious and while he is growing I want him on the best food possible.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The value of corn in a dog's diet has been debated for many years. I have done quite a bit of reading on it and tend to go with those who believe that when corn is cooked (as it is in most dog foods), the carbohydrate portion is 99% digestible by the dog, while the protein source from the same cooked corn is only 65% digestible.

I gauge the quality of the feed, in addition to the other ingredients used, based on whether the corn is a primary or other ingredient (i.e. whether it is being used as a primary protein source or not). The way I look at it, if the dog can only digest 65% of the protein contributed by the corn and if the corn is being used as a primary ingredient to boost the protein value, then I look at the protein value of the feed with some level of suspicion.

This particular feed has 2 meat sources as primary ingredients (and protein sources).

Note: I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the value of corn or the lack thereof. Just wondering if anyone has tried this particular feed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The value of corn in a dog's diet has been debated for many years. I have done quite a bit of reading on it and tend to go with those who believe that when corn is cooked (as it is in most dog foods), the carbohydrate portion is 99% digestible by the dog, while the protein source from the same cooked corn is only 65% digestible.

I gauge the quality of the feed, in addition to the other ingredients used, based on whether the corn is a primary or other ingredient (i.e. whether it is being used as a primary protein source or not). The way I look at it, if the dog can only digest 65% of the protein contributed by the corn and if the corn is being used as a primary ingredient to boost the protein value, then I look at the protein value of the feed with some level of suspicion.

This particular feed has 2 meat sources as primary ingredients (and protein sources).

Note: I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the value of corn or the lack thereof. Just wondering if anyone has tried this particular feed.
I think I remember hearing the different types or corn offer are better or worse than others.

Ask Mike Lareau, I think the winners of the wolverine won bags of that food or Hifive kennels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts