Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name is Dean Nelson and I've hunted grouse behind bird dogs since I can remember. Also used to hunt snowshoes behind beagles and blue-ticks when I was a youngster.

I've had vizslas for about 12 years now and still have two at home. I also have a 4 y/o pointer (who is an idiot in every sense of the word) and a 7 month old setter (might try some cover dog trials if I can work out a few "issues"). Did quite a lot of vizsla field trialing and some AF horseback shooting dog, but haven't done a whole lot of trialing the last five years as I have two sons 17 and 13.

I now spend a lot of time grouse hunting as I have around 300 acres out the back door to hunt that myself and my neighbors "manage" for grouse. Also head out to S. Dakota for a week each year to pheasant hunt.

Anyway, I now live in NE wisconsin (Aurora) but was born in the UP (Norway) and work in the UP. Been lurking and reading on and off for about 7-8 years here thought it was about time I joined in....

---
Dean Nelson
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Welcome!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome! That setter in your avatar sure is a looker! WOuld definately be nice to see him/her out at a trial. Post a few more pics of it if you have them! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

I got the setter from Vance Butler - Emmy's Apple Jack x Modaka's ??. I couldn't pick him up right away from Vance so a friend in GR had him for a couple months where he learned how not to listen. However, he is the most birddy and the best personality (quite the clown) and very quick learner of any dog I have had. Based on just this one setter, I can see what you setters guy are gushing about. :)

The grouse in Florence county have been on the upswing the last few years. I was averaging a little over 2 flushes an hour. Not too bad in my book...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome!
and are you the Dean Nelson, used to be a member of the Vizsla Club of Michigan,??? (oh say maybe 9-10 yrs back)Just wondered if you were the same Dean from the VCM club from back in my beginnings in Vizslas 9 yrs ago.
Welcome aboard anyway, same Dean or not. ;-)

Carolyn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts