Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last thursday the 26th, my buddy and were driving back to my house at about 3 in the afternoon and we noticed 3 black blobs standing in a muck field on the back side of our property. we through on the camo and got our shotguns and hit the door at full stride. we got out to the field and the birds had already made their way out of the field. we were checking tracks and noticed one had strut marks and giant footprints. i called for about five minutes without a response. we were on our way out of the field whe i saw a hen walk into the field about 50 yards away. i instantly froze, and told my friend not to move. at first he thought i was joking around with him, but then i told him he would be my target if he screwed this hunt up and he decided to believe me. . . .

the hen made her way back into the woods, and we laid down behind a small ditch on the edge of the field. the hen made her way back out into the field and this time she had her boyfriends with her. a jake came out first followed in stride by a really nice tom.

they made their way closer and closer until they finally were in range. i got a little excited and shot the bird when he was coming in, but it did the job.
the shot was 45 yards
the jake that was with my tom stood at 15 yards after the shot and my friend shot it and dropped it in his tracks
10.5 inch beard, 1.25 inch spurs, and 22 pounds

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Nice bird, great story!

·
Registered
178 Posts
congrads good job on being alert!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey Joe, great Bird and great story, this is Brandon from GRCC... we had that Humanities class together.... and talked about hunting..Anyways good to hear about your hunt.:coolgleam

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow I am ready to kick myself for not getting the early hunt listening to all these success stories. Anyway, congratulations and great bird!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts