Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
17,516 Posts
Very good case, but I am still "on the fence" about changing to QDM. Hopefully, I am the type of hunter that QDM advocates need to target. I take my time and look at as much data as I can before making up my mind. Convert/convince me (and others like me, I hope) and we will not only stand by your side, but we will take charge and lead the way.

All I really need is evidence. Show me that the habitat is changing because of the deer population in my area. Show me that the deer are unhealthy in my area. Show me the data that led to the statements that I read in the articles in this post.

I can see many examples where QDM doesn’t seem logical. For instance, I do not think it will work in the U.P. That deer herd is generally under-hunted, and the deer populations are not very dense. Yet, some of the nicest racks in Michigan year after year come from the Upper Peninsula.

Maybe what is needed is an area by area study to determine where we should practice QDM. Lets look at habitat changes over the last decade, deer densities, and herd health. My guess is that QDM is good for some areas, but TDM is still a better option in others? <----<<<

·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe Archer, we'll keep working. The great news is that you're keeping an open mind. As you're aware, there are always a lot of variables in wildlife management and there is no single magic formula. Try to keep in mind that QDM has no single silver bullet formula either. And you're right that what needs to be done in one area doesn't necessarily apply to the next. I believe specific deer management objectives need to be flexible depending on the property / area situation and QDM goes a long ways towards giving you this flexibility.

The QDM demonstrations hopefully will be the catalyst to sell QDM (nothing like actual experience selling). My long range view would be to have fewer regulations, as the majority of hunters find themselves in the deer management mode.

Joe, you're interested and that's what really counts.

Boyd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts