Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW! 2012 Polaris Ranger with road legal title and now having issues getting insurance. Has anybody had their UTV title converted back to an “off road” title? Most of the State of Michigan allows orvs to run on secondary roads, so I don’t need road legal title or license plate renewed. Ranger has two VIN #’s. Polaris VIN and State of Michigan VIN. When insurance companies see Michigan VIN number on the title they won’t issue insurance. The few companies (out of state) that will insure it are very costly. Help!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I bet dealers dont tell potential buyers those facts.

So what happens when "off road" hits something" and no insurance, kinda like neighbor guy and kid dragging down the street?? he has no property that I like..

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
WOW! 2012 Polaris Ranger with road legal title and now having issues getting insurance. Has anybody had their UTV title converted back to an “off road” title? Most of the State of Michigan allows orvs to run on secondary roads, so I don’t need road legal title or license plate renewed. Ranger has two VIN #’s. Polaris VIN and State of Michigan VIN. When insurance companies see Michigan VIN number on the title they won’t issue insurance. The few companies (out of state) that will insure it are very costly. Help!
Pro's and cons to both

One advantage to have it road legal you don't need to follow the 25mph maximum, you can ride it on all USFS roads and you don't need to be concerned with what roads are open and closed to ORV. Most every county and township have some roads open and some closed and all USFS roads are closed to ORVs. A disadvantage would be buying plates and insurance.

If you just put a $26 ORV tag you can ride roads open to ORV, no insurance needed, must follow the 25mph maximum and its difficult to figure out what roads are open and closed.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
jjlrw is right. It depends on how you want it titled. I pay less than $200 a year for 2 sxs with physical damage and liability for both and I can ride it on any road I can get to from my cabin (except highways), just as far to the right as possible and 25mph or less.

If you want it to be street legal, there are very few options. Last I heard, State Farm was the only carrier I knew that would write a policy for Assigned VINs from the SOM. The carriers don't want to pay PIP claims for other riders, other parties involved in the accident as they would in an auto policy. The state needs to change the designation to a motorcycle and the insurance would be much less expensive.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
In addition to worrying about what the laws technically say I'd also be worried about how the laws are actually enforced in your area. Actually you might then learn you have nothing to worry about. Around me dirt roads especially are pretty fair game for atv whether county forest service bonafide ATV trail whatever. No sense changing vehicles three times just to get where you are going!

·
Premium Member
12,932 Posts
I think the reason he may want to change title back to utv is if he wants to buy any insurance the state vin designates it as an on road vehicle and it is insured, and priced as such.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I don't imagine I have the street legal insurance and my atv definitely isn't street legal. I bought my insurance from state farm mostly because I still owe on it. I'm not sure how to switch it back but depending on the area it seems there is only marginal benefit to having it street legal. I do see them running the main paved roads sometimes like a car. But that'd be a lot of money just to do that.

Like I say, whether you are supposed to run them on on forest service roads or not everyone does. And whether you are supposed to run them on the shoulder of dirt county roads 25 mph or not no one does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Michigan SOS changed title back to “off road” but still has “Mi vin”. What a time consuming hassle. My insurance carrier (farm bureau) now covers it for $170 a year. Not 100% sure new title designation made a difference or the chance of loosing me as a client $$$$$. I also have Honda atv that I drive on secondary roads and it is insured thru my home owners policy. UTV’s are a different animal.

·
Registered
12,886 Posts
Guess I'm getting screwed. I pay about $55 per month for my SXS through state farm... I wasn't aware of the difference in designation so when I bought it I gave my VIN to state farm and added it to my policy.

On the title it does show "ORV - not to be registered for highway use"

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Dude. Progressive online will insure it way cheaper. It sounds like State Farm is insuring it as an auto. You only need to do that if it's plated.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,886 Posts
Dude. Progressive online will insure it way cheaper. It sounds like State Farm is insuring it as an auto. You only need to do that if it's plated.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
I owe you a beer, or several for how much I just saved.

Thanks man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts