Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is duplicate thread, but the search returned an insane amount of results -

I am looking for recommendations for an instructional CD for calling. Now that I have the "illness" I should prob learn how to call :lol:

thanks guys

·
Registered
774 Posts
my first call was a Primos Wench, and it came with a DVD; i am sure cabela's still carries it. it covers goose and duck both, and has some hunts on it too.

·
Registered
540 Posts
what fer??

geese---bad grammer

ducks---buck gardners is ok and carlson calls is very good, long and in depth but good.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
what fer??

geese---bad grammer

ducks---buck gardners is ok and carlson calls is very good, long and in depth but good.
Agree 100%. Bad Grammar the DVD hands down wins goose. I like the DVD better for learning because it shows proper hand position, plus its cool to see the live geese interaction while giving a live example of the call you are trying to learn. Zink makes a couple decent CD's for duck calling as well.

Good luck and have fun with it.
Jim

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I would actually recommend getting a few. One CD DVD may give you a better way to cluck whereas another might provide a better way for you to moan.

Outside the ones already mentioned, another good CD set is both the RNT The Right Stuff Duck and also Goose. There is an easy CD, more difficult and than final CD is on actually calling to ducks and geese.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Bad grammar for the goose call
RNT's Right Stuff box set for the duck call.

These two cd's will teach you everything you need to know for calling on a goose call and duck call. Also once you been practicing and calling for awhile record yourself to see how you sound. This is a great tool to see how you are progressing.

·
Premium Member
7,023 Posts
Shawn Stahl's "Honker Talk" is very good for a beginning goose caller too.
Can't have too many and can't practice too much.
David Smith has a good goose CD also. I like Craig McDonalds CD too (can't think of the name off hand).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shawn Stahls honker talk is what i have, i want to get bad grammer yet. I also have foiles Strait meat duck and goose dvd's. Buck gardner goose and duck cd's. RNT's duck calling cd. Some give techniques for field calling and some have contest routines. There all pretty good but like other people have said some have different emphasis words to make pretty much the same notes out of the call. Some may work better for you.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Also if you go to you tube their is a few good ones on their also.....Till Santa comes.......Mack.... Heres one from Big Sean Hammock which I think is one of the better ones....Take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS6P4gX2PXg

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
One word of caution regarding CDs and such...

I have a very good friend who is an accomplished waterfowler tell me last year when I was hot on the "gotta learn it all" trail in regards to short reed goose calls..."learn to do three things...cluck, moan, and honk...so much that you can pick up the call and without even thinking about it much and make those sounds...because in a hunting situation you don't always have the time to work your way up to a particular sound..." I argued with him a bit, and insisted on being able to run quick-spits, regular spit-notes, and sexy little comebacks...and he would just laugh...

When we hunted together last year, I would often find him walking over the top of my spit-note efforts with rapid clucking and moans...I got the point. Not to say those notes are not effective...it's just that honks, clucks, and moans will kill geese...flat out.

His opinion is that guys put WAY too much into the practice of "competition-type" calling...and to some extent I agree. For sure there are times when you need to run the gamet of sounds (i.e. Todd Farm) to get their attention, but for the most part...you want to sound like a contented animal that is letting approaching birds know that everything is safe down here....or that "this food is mine...so stay out..." in some situations. For the most part, in regards to goose calling...all of the sounds are based off of the honk and the moan...so master those two and go from there.

I have CD's from Dave Smith, Quacker Attacker, and Threinen...and they are all very good...each in their own way. I practice my calling a lot, and have come a long ways over the last two years. I think the guys that post on here that I have hunted with will acknowledge that fact, but there are still times when I struggle, and for that I keep on working on it. Being flawless and sounding realistic is what you want...

Duck calling??? Well...to each his own. I own a bunch of calls, and there are times when I feel that they work (i.e. field hunting) but in the marsh...where there is competition, sometimes the deadliest call is the one that stays in the blind bag.

Hope that helps...and don't hesitate to send a PM to Smoke or any of the other sponsors here...they are all knowledgeable and willing to help if they can.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
One word of caution regarding CDs and such...
in hunting situation you don't always have the time to work your way up to a particular sound..." I argued with him a bit, and insisted on being able to run quick-spits, regular spit-notes, and sexy little comebacks...and he would just laugh...
When we hunted together last year, I would often find him walking over the top of my spit-note efforts with rapid clucking and moans...I got the point. Not to say those notes are not effective...it's just that honks, clucks, and moans will kill geese...flat out.
Not trying to argue here, but..........if I could only run one note and variations of it - it would be quick spits, quick spit moans, and spit moans. As a comeback, laydown, greeting, whatever. It kills geese and lots of them. I only use a honk to "mezmorize" geese while finishing, but I will agree with you on clucks and moans. Whatever you do, a wall of sound is seldom the best option.

Good luck hunting.
Jim

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Some good replys, some not. So I won't add my opinion here on what cd or dvd to purchase, or which is BEST.

But I will tell you this, practice, practice, practice, because there is no substitute for it. Just because the season ends, doesn't mean your practice should. Practice all year long, with meaningfull techniques. Set goals and do not move on until you have mastered a particular sound you are trying to achive. I've taught a few people in my day, and all of them will tell you, when I finally listened to Smoke, and practiced all year long, my calling ability increased exponentially.

Good luck
Smoke

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Some good replys, some not. So I won't add my opinion here on what cd or dvd to purchase, or which is BEST.

But I will tell you this, practice, practice, practice, because there is no substitute for it. Just because the season ends, doesn't mean your practice should. Practice all year long, with meaningfull techniques. Set goals and do not move on until you have mastered a particular sound you are trying to achive. I've taught a few people in my day, and all of them will tell you, when I finally listened to Smoke, and practiced all year long, my calling ability increased exponentially.

Good luck
Smoke
Nicely stated. Year long practice is key.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts

Good luck
Smoke
That's the plan - start with the basics and work your way up. just like anything in life really -

thanks guys!! see you in the duck blind . . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts