Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,521 Posts
waterfoul said:
Man, if you were closer I'd do it for you a LOT cheaper than any marina. Done it to several of my boats and several of my friends boats. It's not really that hard.
I have to agree, the hardest part is deciding where you want to mount it.
Not too much work to hook it up.
Rich

· Registered
661 Posts
FishTales said:
I have to agree, the hardest part is deciding where you want to mount it.
Not too much work to hook it up.
Rich
Very true. I installed my 8' Shakespeare 5205-N with the nylon flat surface ratchet mount in about an hour or so.

First, mark out where you want the mount and mark the bolt holes with a marker. Then, you drill a hole just a little bigger than the diameter of the coax of the antenna. (Most mounts come with a template) Drill the mount bolt holes. Feed the coax through the mount and hole in the hull, leaving about 2-3" of coax loose at the ferrule so the antenna can fold down. (If youre using a folding type mount.) Use silicone sealant to seal the hole around the coax going through the hull. Silicone the bottom of the mount and place over the mount holes. Put the mount bolts through the holes and fasten them down. (This probably isnt necessary, but I did it---> Since the bolt heads are recessed into the mount, I put silicone over the bold heads too.) After all that, pretty much all thats left is soldering the PL-259 connector to the end of the coax and connecting it to the radio.

If Ive left something out, Im sure the other guys will jump in and help too!

The instructions that come with the mounts are pretty easy to follow if you decide to do it yourself, it really isnt that difficult.

Captn---

· Registered
12,979 Posts
Fiberglass or aluminum boat? If glass, put a piece of masking tape over the area you intend to drill... this will keep the gelcoat from cracking and chipping when you drill thru it.

And if any of you ever have occasion to use a hole saw on fiberglass... run the drill backwards until you have a good scar (usually you can get thru the gelcoat running backwards) before you run the bit forward.

I learned these little "tricks" rigging boats for years. Both my own and other peoples boats. Never had any complaints.

· Registered
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the radio installed by MS Member RSGS. He did a great job, very good price and did it a day ahead of time. I highly recommend him!
Thanks John!
Brian

radiohead said:
Can anyone recommend a place in the New Baltimore area that I can have a ship to shore radio and antenna installed on my boat?
Thanks.

· Registered
4,627 Posts
we will be putting a new on our boat tonight.some how when we left the dock this morning a dock line hooked it we split everything 5 ways the boat owner pays nothing but since he decided to drive today he is buying it .I bought a 1/2 gal of VO to help install it.I was just corrected being a old fart I still call them 1/2 gal I stand corrected again Oh to be young again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.