Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen and Ladies -

I need some assistance in selecting some cold weather gear for STATIONARY hunting. This year made me realize that I am not adequately prepared for really cold temperatures. I am looking for some outer gear that is wind-proof and warm (do not care about waterproof.) I also need it to be reasonably priced - less than $200.

I am currently using red-lined carharts and they are not doing the trick. If it would be cheaper to get better inner layers that are wind proof and warm then I am open to that as well. I am not looking for boots, my feet are fine.

I JUST WANT TO BE WARMER! :gaga:

Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,409 Posts
I use this suit all the time.
http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/

I just orderd another one that is water proof. After spending opening day up in tree in the rain.

These are no gimicks I have had frost bite more than once while in the army and I am extremly sensitive to cold weather.

That suit has saved my butt more than once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,292 Posts
I have a wool Columbia set, bibs and jacket and I love them. I can sit all day
in December and stay warm... I Just layer underneath with long johns
with sweat pants for my bottom, long shirt, turtle neck, a wool sweater on my top...I hardly ever get cold with this. I've seen the wool suit clearanced at Gander pretty reasonable after xmas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Robert W. McCoy Jr said:
I use this suit all the time.
http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/

I just orderd another one that is water proof. After spending opening day up in tree in the rain.

These are no gimicks I have had frost bite more than once while in the army and I am extremly sensitive to cold weather.

That suit has saved my butt more than once.
as well i was frost bitten when in korea and after checking out that site that will be the next piece of hunting equipment i will purchase because no matter what i try my feet always get cold and then im all done hunting period, and i like to be able to sit all day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,409 Posts
I tell you what untill I found that suit I dreaded cold mornings.

Now I know no matter how cold it is. Once I get to the stand and get inside, I know I am gonna be warm.

Also I have found in my opinion that suit to be better at blocking scent (while your zipped up) than scent lock clothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
I bought a N3B parka and pants from E-bay. These are the Air force parkas and pants. Not waterproof but you will sweat your A$$ off in these things. Just make sure you bid on a new/unsused one. both parka, pants and mittens should cost you less than one hundred dollars. I use mine for Ice fishing adn snow blowing up here adn I never get a chill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,903 Posts
I wear the military ecws outfit. camo goretex parka and pants,bearsuit fleece liner and polypro long johns. military surplus under 100.00 complete.from e-bay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
The artic-sheild outfit is what I wear. The bibs and coat together you can buy out of the sportsman guide for around $150. It is very thin, and windproof. It kept me nice and toasty while on stand this season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
fishon1219 said:
The artic-sheild outfit is what I wear. The bibs and coat together you can buy out of the sportsman guide for around $150. It is very thin, and windproof. It kept me nice and toasty while on stand this season.
Probably OK for gun hunting...but for bow hunting...I know I don't enjoy the sound of aluminum foil - which is what the outfit sounds like (I have a full set as well...wore it once...only once...and went back to my Browning gear - plenty warm (with layers) and MUCH quieter.

Good luck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
Robert W. McCoy Jr said:
I use this suit all the time.
http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/

I just orderd another one that is water proof. After spending opening day up in tree in the rain.

These are no gimicks I have had frost bite more than once while in the army and I am extremly sensitive to cold weather.

That suit has saved my butt more than once.
The Heater Body Suit is outstanding. It was based on Robert's recommendation last year on this forum that I decided to get one. I bought mine new on ebay for $207, and I've also bought two other used ones for my boys (that have been in excellent condition) on ebay for a similar price.

I'll give you two quick examples. On the Friday after Thanksgiving it was 10 degrees with a 15 mph wind. The wind chill was below zero. I sat in a treestand with the wind blowing in my face from 6:30 to 11 am, and the only challenge I had was trying to stay awake. I was completely comfortable. Without the suit I wouldn't have been able to hunt that stand for more than a couple of hours before I would have headed back to the truck.

On the first day of the Ohio youth hunt my twelve year old son and I sat for five hours in complete comfort on a 20 degree morning. I've purchased quality clothing for my children to hunt in, but even with good clothing, boot blankets, hand muffs, neck gaiters, etc. it's almost impossible for a young person to stay on stand for more than three hours before they become very cold. The body suit is now permitting us to stay on stand for as long as he desires, rather than have our time on stand dictated to us by the weather.

I'm hoping to get the chance to find out for certain at some point this month, but I believe that with the body suit I will be able to comfortably sit on stand for an entire morning with temperatures below zero.

This is one of the few products I use that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,786 Posts
For cheap clothing I would go to Dunham's or Gander Mt.

I received a insulated camo coverall outfit that came from Dunhuam's it is made by Walls. I have hunted in it for about 6 years never have got really cold. I dress in layers first layer being polypropalene long underwear, then I usualy put jeans on, then for the top I put a long sleeve t-shirt, then a flannel shirt, then a fleece. This year I added a scent lok liner. After all that is on I put on the coveralls work great. I add a fleece or wool sock cap and light fleece or non-insolated scent lok gloves and I am in buisness. Just in case I put two hot-hand hand warmers in my pockets.



fulldraw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Heater Body Suit. I have been considering one. I have seen the ads, and a couple of reviews (one that said not to get the waterproof one as it is noisy), but have not heard anyone say they have killed any animals wearing it. I am concerned about the extra movement getting into shooting position.

Anybody have a successful hunt with it? :confused:

Scott
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,804 Posts
Norman's in Bay City, Standish or Tawas. They've got some great prices on Carharts, the black artic stuff......

They've also got a lot of "no name" stuff that's very, very inexpensive.......
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
ScottC said:
Thanks for the info on the Heater Body Suit. I have been considering one. I have seen the ads, and a couple of reviews (one that said not to get the waterproof one as it is noisy), but have not heard anyone say they have killed any animals wearing it. I am concerned about the extra movement getting into shooting position.

Anybody have a successful hunt with it? :confused:
Scott
I believe the suit could work against you on a totally calm day if a deer somehow manages to get very close to you before you notice it. Undoing the zipper is very quiet, but again it's possible you could be heard if the deer were really close. To date I've had no problems unzipping and preparing my gun for a shot without being noticed, and I don't foresee any problems with a bow either. The flip side to this is that any opportunity the suit could cost you due to a minimal amount of extra movement would, in my estimation, be more than compensated for by the significantly enhanced amount of time that you'll be able to comfortable spend on stand. Also, being in the suit does radically reduce the amount of movement that's visible while you have it zipped up, since any movement of your arms or hands is not visible while it's zipped.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,080 Posts
ScottC said:
but have not heard anyone say they have killed any animals wearing it.
Scott
I have never seen any animals wearing one!:lol:

Seriously I bet Rob can tell us he has scored while using it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,824 Posts
Another hint for people looking for windproof and warm, especially the legs. I bought some fleece (not flannel) lined jeans from both Bass Pro and Cabela's and love them. I have an extreme problem with keeping my legs warm because of polio in years past. However, most of the winter I can go outside with just the jeans and no underwear (Yes, I did have more than jeans on. I wasn't bare in other spots.)

One hint though. You must order a size or two smaller in waist from these two outlets. For some reason they have the sizing bad. I believe I'm wearing pants that are supposed to be 4 inches smaller than my fat waistline.

I plan on purchasing some from Carhartt very soon. They are more expensive but probably will last much longer. I'm not real happy with how soon these things have been wearing out, but very happy with how they feel and keep me warm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
jk hillsdale said:
I believe the suit could work against you on a totally calm day if a deer somehow manages to get very close to you before you notice it. Undoing the zipper is very quiet, but again it's possible you could be heard if the deer were really close. To date I've had no problems unzipping and preparing my gun for a shot without being noticed, and I don't foresee any problems with a bow either. The flip side to this is that any opportunity the suit could cost you due to a minimal amount of extra movement would, in my estimation, be more than compensated for by the significantly enhanced amount of time that you'll be able to comfortable spend on stand. Also, being in the suit does radically reduce the amount of movement that's visible while you have it zipped up, since any movement of your arms or hands is not visible while it's zipped.
Thanks for the feedback. My concern of movement is getting my arms out and the suit back. I like the fact of minimal movement seen while in the suit, and the extra time on stand due to increased warmth. I also like the return guarantee. Of course, that wouldn't bring back any deer lost, but would be a good field test.

As for staying warm, I recently purchased a pair of Justin Charles merino wool long johns, expedition weight. Also, bought a pair of Artic Shield boot insulators. I have a muff for my hands, but still haven't decided which gloves to wear, Artic Shield system gloves or my Scent-Lok gloves.

Scott
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,806 Posts
Bomba said:
I have a wool Columbia set, bibs and jacket and I love them. I can sit all day
in December and stay warm... I Just layer underneath with long johns
with sweat pants for my bottom, long shirt, turtle neck, a wool sweater on my top...I hardly ever get cold with this. I've seen the wool suit clearanced at Gander pretty reasonable after xmas.
Bomba, I have that stuff too as well as a set of the wool pants and love it.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top